• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonderbread treatment?

311 posts in this topic

Don't know how I missed this breadthread (maybe because it started when I was in Japan) - but I'm glad someone finally believes me now.

Everyone can start sending their WonderBread cleaing royalty checks straight to me. Just a small percentage based on the amount of dirt cleaned will be fine.

Thanks. smile.gif

Sean

Don't know how I missed this breadthread (maybe because it started when I was in Japan) - but I'm glad someone finally believes me now.

Everyone can start sending their WonderBread cleaing royalty checks straight to me. Just a small percentage based on the amount of dirt cleaned will be fine.

Thanks. smile.gif

Sean

How about if I just send you the used slice of wonderbread... 27_laughing.gif

And by the way...credit where credit is due...thanks for the tip... wink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

Sean

welcome back sean! i was wondering where've you been, did you buy any godzilla toys? laugh.gif

Does it affect the permanent inks? confused.gif

The gloss was not affected at all....I was worried about this too but there was no ink smudging whatsoever...this was genuinly an enlightening experiance... 893blahblah.gif

Whoah - just started backtrackig and saw this. The back cover is black ink with a small four-color pic. From the looks of the cover the staining was even beyond the range of much of the black ink. The front cover is usually a heck of a lot more four-color. The inks that are NOT black may not react as kindly. Just a "get my brain in the right perception" thang! grin.gif

hey folks,

i know wonder bread has been mentioned fairly commonly tongue-in-cheek (?) as a way of cleaning comics.

i recently purchased a magazine - the surface of which i think could use a bit of a cleaning. the cover is not (and was not published) glossy - has more of a paper-feel to it.

without going to too fancy lengths, does wonderbread actually work?

I've used the Wonder Bread method on a few occasions, with a fair degree of success. It seems to work best with dust/dirt-type 'blemishes' - it's not going to remove ink or even pencil, I suspect, and might just smear ink and make the situation worse.

In one case I applied Wonder Bread to the cover of a Silver Age DC book - an Adventure Comic, I think. I would estimate that doing this cause the book to be in VF condition rather than VF-, as it removed a fair amount of dirt/soiling.

(I first tried this on a low-grade book, just to be sure it wouldn't mess up the cover!)

I didn't even realize that I had deleted the pic from my web host... in any case I am able to post the before pic since I had it stored on my home 'puter...the other pic I will upload tommorow since it is on my work 'puter...

Before WonderBread

daredevil45back.jpg

Is all that white spottiness on the very bottom part of the "after" picture on the book itself or just in the scan? Those white spots make it look like you rubbed harder there than anywhere else, although I'm assuming they're just a scanner artifact.

Is all that white spottiness on the very bottom part of the "after" picture on the book itself or just in the scan?

It's on the scan...the second scan was from my scanner in work so the lighting level is a little differant... 893frustrated.gif

I've used the Wonder Bread method on a few occasions, with a fair degree of success. It seems to work best with dust/dirt-type 'blemishes' -

How do you "use" the bread? Do you wipe the surface with a slice or blot it? (I know this sounds goofy, but I'm asking seriously. crazy.gif)

After you were done with the WonderBread, did yo break out the PB and J and celebrate with the used slices?

Don't be silly Carl. foreheadslap.gif...when I'm done "wonderbreading" all I have left is bread balls...which go promptly into my chicken stew as dumplings... tongue.gif

How do you "use" the bread? Do you wipe the surface with a slice or blot it? (I know this sounds goofy, but I'm asking seriously. crazy.gif)

Blotting won't do anything since what you are doing is basically simulating an eraser...My "wonderbreading" technique is to take the heal of a loaf of white bread fold it in half (white side exposed) and rub it on the book in a back and forth motion...the pressure applied should correlate to the amount of soiling being removed...

Use caution however since a board member tried this on one of his books and ripped the back cover.... 893frustrated.gif

One board member tried this but his wonder bread treatment left yellow stains to back cover.

It looked like the type of bread he used contained some amounts of oil?

I believe best result could be obtained with bread made with minimum ingredients. Like water, yeast and "white" wheat flour (not whole meal flour)

Someone should invent a perfect recipe for wonder bread treatment grin.gif

Maybe someone could try out this technique with a variety of different breads, and could report the results. For example, someone could use a white bread, a wheat bread, a pumpernickel bread, and maybe even a pita pocket! tongue.gif

(I'm saying this in a silly way, but I'm actually serious. Has anyone here ever tried the "bread" technique with other breads besides white?)

Wonder Bread....it's just not for eatin' anymore.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As opposed to "it's not *just* for eatin' anymore" smile.gif I like your version better, Terry!

In the couple of instances where I've used the WB technique, I take a slice o' the bread, remove crust, wad the bread up and then use like you would any other doughy, round eraser...

I think that using higher quality bread might result in the yellow 'oily' staining described above. I think that somehow, WB has the perfect combination of ingredients to get rid of the dirt without leaving other substances / residue behind... if you feel like experimenting, I would advocate finding bread that is *cheaper* and *whiter* than WB, if either thing is possible...