• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, flashlites said:

it's not in the Showcase issues right? Because you said 'Flash Comics' and its not Golden age right? It looks early and I just checked my 105 so its not that early. Can I buy a vowel? LoL! Is it a 10 cent issue or a 12 cent issue?

Its a 12 cent issue, between #125 and #184. :whistle:

4 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Great looking copies gents! I have to wait a bit before I can jump in and share another cover. In the meantime I have an additional clue for the mystery Flash book, since the first photo was rather inconclusive. An actual panel from the book in question. :wishluck:

Flash_136_clue2.jpeg

Hair up means it predates the 143, and that is all I've got. Can we have  a page ..

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I just acquired a copy of issue #136 about a week ago. I had heard that a hair dryer could be used to remove the 15 cent sticker. I tried it on a cheaper book without any luck, so for now the sticker will remain.

scan0239.jpg

Nice! Removing that sticker might be a problem, but even if it does come off, there will probably still be some glue residue that will leave a stain there. 

This issue represents a gap in my collection of early Flash issues. I have a #133 and #153, but nothing in between. Had to use the archive edition to find the panel, and those don't include the little extra's that the original copies of the books' do. That's part the fun of owning an original copy; the advertisements, the letters page and all the other extra's they used to put in back in those days.

Edited by Jaylam

47 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Nice! Removing that sticker might be a problem, but even if it does come off, there will probably still be some glue residue that will leave a stain there. 

This issue represents a gap in my collection of early Flash issues. I have a #133 and #153, but nothing in between. Had to use the archive edition to find the panel, and those don't include the little extra's that the original copies of the books' do. That's part the fun of owning an original copy; the advertisements, the letters page and all the other extra's they used to put in back in those days.

I have some Archive Editions also. They are nice but not quite like the original comic books. I also have a photo of the "Flash Facts" from issue 136, where I took the first panel from.

Flash_136_flashfacts.jpeg

12 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I have some Archive Editions also. They are nice but not quite like the original comic books. I also have a photo of the "Flash Facts" from issue 136, where I took the first panel from.

Flash_136_flashfacts.jpeg

Since that piece was describing how sound is measured, recognized as decibel levels, here's some interesting tidbits....

hearing-loss-decibel-time-graph.thumb.png.1b5169fe328e78f6878ae4a25365a5cd.png

Loudest rock concerts recorded (as reported in Wikipedia): 

1972: Deep Purple was recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records as the "globe's loudest band" for a concert at the London Rainbow Theatre, during which the sound reached 117 dB and three members of the audience fell unconscious.

1976: The Who were next to be listed as the "record holder" at 126 dB, having been measured 32 metres (105 feet) from the speakers during a concert in London at The Valley on 31 May 1976.

1984/1994: The Guinness Book of World Records listed Manowar as the loudest band for a performance in 1984. The band claimed a louder measurement of 129.5 dB in 1994 at Hanover,[6] but Guinness did not recognize it, having discontinued the category by that time for fear of encouraging hearing damage.

1986: An article by Scott Cohen appeared in February 1986 issue of Spin entitled "Motörhead is the Loudest Band on Earth". In it, Cohen alluded to an undated concert during which Cleveland's Variety Theater actually sustained damage from Motörhead reaching a decibel level of 130. This he reported was 10 decibels louder than the record set by The Who.

1996: The English House/Electronica band Leftfield, while on tour to support their debut album Leftism, gained notoriety for the sheer volume of their live shows. In June 1996, while the group was playing at Brixton Academy, the sound system caused dust and plaster to fall from the roof, with the sound volume reaching 137 dB.

2007: British punk band Gallows allegedly broke Manowar's penultimate record, claiming to have reached 132.5 dB; however, this record claim was made in an isolated studio as opposed to a live environment.

2008: Manowar registered an SPL of 139 dB during the sound check (not the actual performance) at the Magic Circle Fest in 2008.

2009: On July 15 of 2009, at a Canadian concert in Ottawa, the band Kiss recorded an SPL of 136 dB measured during their live performance. Noise complaints from residents in the area eventually forced the band to turn the volume down.

Was anyone here on the boards actually at any of these performances I wonder? 

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Since that piece was describing how sound is measured, recognized as decibel levels, here's some interesting tidbits....

hearing-loss-decibel-time-graph.thumb.png.1b5169fe328e78f6878ae4a25365a5cd.png

Loudest rock concerts recorded (as reported in Wikipedia): 

1972: Deep Purple was recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records as the "globe's loudest band" for a concert at the London Rainbow Theatre, during which the sound reached 117 dB and three members of the audience fell unconscious.

1976: The Who were next to be listed as the "record holder" at 126 dB, having been measured 32 metres (105 feet) from the speakers during a concert in London at The Valley on 31 May 1976.

1984/1994: The Guinness Book of World Records listed Manowar as the loudest band for a performance in 1984. The band claimed a louder measurement of 129.5 dB in 1994 at Hanover,[6] but Guinness did not recognize it, having discontinued the category by that time for fear of encouraging hearing damage.

1986: An article by Scott Cohen appeared in February 1986 issue of Spin entitled "Motörhead is the Loudest Band on Earth". In it, Cohen alluded to an undated concert during which Cleveland's Variety Theater actually sustained damage from Motörhead reaching a decibel level of 130. This he reported was 10 decibels louder than the record set by The Who.

1996: The English House/Electronica band Leftfield, while on tour to support their debut album Leftism, gained notoriety for the sheer volume of their live shows. In June 1996, while the group was playing at Brixton Academy, the sound system caused dust and plaster to fall from the roof, with the sound volume reaching 137 dB.

2007: British punk band Gallows allegedly broke Manowar's penultimate record, claiming to have reached 132.5 dB; however, this record claim was made in an isolated studio as opposed to a live environment.

2008: Manowar registered an SPL of 139 dB during the sound check (not the actual performance) at the Magic Circle Fest in 2008.

2009: On July 15 of 2009, at a Canadian concert in Ottawa, the band Kiss recorded an SPL of 136 dB measured during their live performance. Noise complaints from residents in the area eventually forced the band to turn the volume down.

I was surprised to see that jet engines at takeoff are not the loudest, but they are close.

I recall going to a concert with Chicago and the Doobie Brothers in the mid 70's. I cannot recall it being overly loud, but the waft of funky smoke in the air was amazing.

2 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I was surprised to see that jet engines at takeoff are not the loudest, but they are close.

I recall going to a concert with Chicago and the Doobie Brothers in the mid 70's. I cannot recall it being overly loud, but the waft of funky smoke in the air was amazing.

Yes, I always thought it was funny how every concert smelled the same! Doobielicious!

4 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I've seen 3 of these bands live. Motorhead, Deep Purple and Kiss 3 times maybe 4 times, I cant recall. They were all very loud. Motorhead was outside so maybe not the loudest in my experience. Kiss had a lot of explosions which just added to the already ridiculous volume. But I believe Black Sabbath was the loudest in my experience my ears were still ringing well into the next day as I recall.:insane: