• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Okay time to kick the page over to 137. So how about a slab. I started at a Purple 1.8 just to fill a hole. Then kept adding. Actually my retirement had been put on hold at the same time my business (I'm a CPA) had a group of clients in crisis. A lot of work and stress, but this stuff made it worth it.

DSC05004.JPG

Many collectors would love to have one as nice as that copy. The colors really pop and there is no hint of red changing to orange as I have seen happen with some books. Sweet book    :cloud9:

I edited the post and lost your photo. :frown:

Sadly i'm missing 137, 139 and 140! This year I had planned to pick up some of these non-key S.A. books (of course 139 is another matter) so if all goes well I should have a 111, 137 and 140 by the end of the year. I used to have a nice copy of 137 in the 90's collection probably in the 6-7 range, and my 111 was in amazing shape maybe 8.0 by today's standards? I am also missing 147 and 148 but after that I have everything all the way to 272. Being a huge Golden Age Flash fan as well 137 is high on my list. I believe it's his 3rd S.A. cover appearance? That 8.5 SC #13 is amazing! You are a fortunate Flash Fan indeed Terry!!! 

Edited by flashlites
correction

18 minutes ago, flashlites said:

That 8.5 SC #13 is amazing! You are a fortunate Flash Fan indeed Terry!!! 

Thanks. I was not chasing it but after that work came in I was banking a lot of money. It was there, my bank had funds... I thought when would another one that high come up, and yep, just pressed that big old HA button. It does look terrific.

Back 30 years ago 137 was thought of by dealers as the JSA's first appearance. For many of these Golden age characters it was the first sighting in over 10 years. Back then Fandom was constantly writing to Julie to bring back the JSA. People like Jerry Bails, and Roy Thomas, (yes that Roy Thomas)  were not chasing these books for value, but just to read. So when Julie decided that the JSA would come back in 137 I think he may have been seeing how many younger readers cared. Of course JLA 21-22 followed and we now have the multiverse.

My Comic Shop just closed 'til at least 4/30 they said! Just as I was about to buy a 137! And flirting with the idea of getting a SC#13 too! I was so looking forward to doing some shopping online at least while this thing is going on! Now what are we going to do Flash Fans?! They've stopped the presses for new comics, all my LCS's are closed and now we can't even shop online?

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

My Comic Shop just closed 'til at least 4/30 they said! Just as I was about to buy a 137! And flirting with the idea of getting a SC#13 too! I was so looking forward to doing some shopping online at least while this thing is going on! Now what are we going to do Flash Fans?! They've stopped the presses for new comics, all my LCS's are closed and now we can't even shop online?

pssst  Ebay.

23 hours ago, flashlites said:

This year I had planned to pick up some of these non-key S.A. books (of course 139 is another matter)

Speaking of Flash #139 a quick check on Ebay shows a GCG 5.0 can be had for about $450, which makes the 6.0 CGC copy at $510 seem like a bargain. lol  My point is with that kind of dough you could get a G.A. slabbed Flash book. Ok, not slabbed but this 3.0 copy for $240 seems reasonable in comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-46-G-VG-3-0-OCT-1943/192948398785?hash=item2cec9eeac1:g:PvAAAOSwOoldARsj

Or slight resto on this qualified CGC All Flash #58 3.0 for $190

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-58-3-0-CGC-1st-Print-Graded-Slab-Slight-Restoration-October-1944/382549937970?hash=item5911c0cf32:g:IWoAAOSwf2pbgKdj

Of course you wouldn't have the G.A. Flash and the S.A. Flash in the same book. lol

Edited by frozentundraguy

22 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Speaking of Flash #139 a quick check on Ebay shows a GCG 5.0 can be had for about $450, which makes the 6.0 CGC copy at $510 seem like a bargain. lol  My point is with that kind of dough you could get a G.A. slabbed Flash book. Ok, not slabbed but this 3.0 copy for $240 seems reasonable in comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-46-G-VG-3-0-OCT-1943/192948398785?hash=item2cec9eeac1:g:PvAAAOSwOoldARsj

Or slight resto on this qualified CGC All Flash #58 3.0 for $190

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-58-3-0-CGC-1st-Print-Graded-Slab-Slight-Restoration-October-1944/382549937970?hash=item5911c0cf32:g:IWoAAOSwf2pbgKdj

Love the Golden Age! But for now I'm focused on completing the S.A. collection. After that he he he I plan on going after some G.A. I know realistically I wont be able to complete a G.A. collection but... I will not consider my Flash collection complete without getting back the few G.A. I have had to sell over the years. When I sold my first Flash collection in the 1980's I had to let go of a #39 and #51. In the early 2000's I had to let go of a #86 and a #77 and my dream book (besides a #1 :) ) Is a #10. I would also love, love, love to own a #103 one of the last issues where John Broome and Carmine teamed up to create one the last of the G.A. Flash stories "The Sword of Time" They probably had no idea that 10 years later they'd be working together for years on the new Flash!

Edited by flashlites
correction

7 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Love the Golden Age! But for now I'm focused on completing the S.A. collection. After that he he he I plan on going after some G.A. I know realistically I wont be able to complete a G.A. collection but... I will not consider my Flash collection complete without getting back the few G.A. I have had to sell over the years. When I sold my first Flash collection in the 1980's I had to let go of a #39 and #51. In the early 2000's I had to let go of a #86 and a #77 and my dream book (besides a #1 :) ) Is a #10. I would also love, love, love to own a #103 of the last issues where John Broome and Carmine teamed up to create some one the last of the G.A. Flash stories "the Sword of Time" They probably had no idea that 10 tears later they'd be working together for years on the new Flash!

I checked the cover on Flash Comics #103. That is a beauty. A further check shows only 3 issues of Flash Comics on Comic Link, but Comic Connect is flush with Flashes. :cloud9:

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

On a side note, and because I like this thread so much, I managed to pick up this lot from a local auction a few years back. They were all in nice mid and upper mid grade condition.

1116742293_flashauctionlot_edited.jpg.dd2dcc7775bd5d3cebb87e85c25f8225.jpg

Nice haul there, I would have bid on that lot too, don't blame you at all!!! I think that's one of the few Neal Adams covers tucked away in there? #195?!

I just put an ebay offer in on a 137. Lets see if I can make a deal before we finish the page. Any more 137's out there? 137 going once...going twice...

15 min later (edit)--  just so I don't take away another post for anyone trying to share their 137 with us. My offer was accepted and I now have a 137 on the way Flash Fans!!! 

Just 4 posts left for 137. Git 'yer 138's ready and that scanner all warmed up. We're 'bout to turn the page!

Edited by flashlites

And this just in...My friend from the boards here has been keeping an eye out for me in Michigan, helping me fill in some of my big holes in the 300's. This beautiful #347 just arrived! So with this one and the 137 on the way, I think i'm down to just 47 issues left to complete the run!!! Included is the ebay photo of the 137, its blurry but I got a good price on it. You know me, condition is not too important to me at the moment. Its my lot in life to rescue these wayward, lost and abused Flashes and make sure they end up in a good Flashy home and reunited with all their buddies.

Flash 347.jpg

image.png

Edited by flashlites

11 minutes ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

A little first and last 

6E673601-7140-48F2-AD7A-47757EAEC124.thumb.jpeg.33081d510fffa003f209d17145b0351b.jpeg

Great photo there KJ!!! Love that 105 of yours, at one point I was going to try and make you an offer on it I believe?:) (Like you would ever part with it!) I'm happy to say this year I finally got a 105 of my own. :cloud9:Just out of curiosity do you have everything in between, or are you still missing some like me?

Edited by flashlites

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

On a side note, and because I like this thread so much, I managed to pick up this lot from a local auction a few years back. They were all in nice mid and upper mid grade condition.

1116742293_flashauctionlot_edited.jpg.dd2dcc7775bd5d3cebb87e85c25f8225.jpg

Nice arrangement to showcase those books, and you have 3 of my favorite issues in your photo. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

A little first and last 

6E673601-7140-48F2-AD7A-47757EAEC124.thumb.jpeg.33081d510fffa003f209d17145b0351b.jpeg

I stopped buying Flash here, our B & Ws at 174. I can't remember not wanting the Andru stuff or maybe they were getting to hard to find, but I can't remember them. That was around 1968. After that I only bought JLA and GL finishing when Adams finished. So maybe 1970. Did not buy anything then for maybe the next 11 years. Had no friends into comics and you needed a microscope to find fandom here. I changed jobs in around 1980-81 and walking to work one day I came across what I think was Australia's first direct comic shop. As a past reader I wandered in to take a look at how things had changed. Racks everywhere, silver age Spideys on the wall (Steve valued everything SA at 4 x OPG Mint, no matter the condition. So yep $40 for a $3 book. Steve had no shame). I don't know if you can imagine what it was like as a big fan of Cinf to stand there and see his art on Flash. I just could not believe it. After all these years it felt like I had slipped back through time.  Came back to Flash and have never left. Marvel fans can have MJ, but a Cinf Iris is still my all time favourite female.