• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

famous funnies carnival of comics nn 1933 page counts

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a raw famous funnies carnival of comics nn 1933, and was wondering if any of you (who have the book now, or keep track of page counts on books you have had) know the actual interior page counts for this book. Reference materials are inconsistent (most say 32, or 36, but don't differentiate between covers or not).

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking at a raw famous funnies carnival of comics nn 1933, and was wondering if any of you (who have the book now, or keep track of page counts on books you have had) know the actual interior page counts for this book. Reference materials are inconsistent (most say 32, or 36, but don't differentiate between covers or not).

Thanks for your help.

showcase4 has a copy I believe. You may want to PM him. I haven't had a copy in a while, but would like to... poke2.gif

Thanks for your help.

showcase4 has a copy I believe. You may want to PM him. I haven't had a copy in a while, but would like to... poke2.gif

Bill...you were real close...I had a copy, and sold it to Steve Geppi a little over 1 year ago. Pretty neat book with those slick covers! Don't recall the page count though...

Thanks folks. Boiled down the answer with some leg work, and help from some different folks who should know.

One of the preliminary (not foolproof) tricks I used to narrow down the options was comparing the interior contents vs. some of the large online databases which provide story credits feature by feature (really helpful with strip-style books). Be forewarned... some of their surrounding data is also taken from other publications like Overstreet (which is not always consistent on page counts), so I couldn't take the page counts on the sites at face value.

It was kinda funny how many variations on page counts and histories I was able to find... there is a lot of info about these early "comic books" to be had, but man was there a lot of variation in the facts on those 1933-1934 comics.

For future reference, interior page count is 32 pages, 36 counts the covers. 8 interior wraps, which matches up with the book in my hands 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif.

sign-rantpost.gif On a bit of a (somewhat related) side note... It's still a little shocking to me, how often I get books with obviously overlooked interiors from dealers, but I especially unpleased when full-time dealers do it. This has always been a pet peave of mine when ordering books sight unseen. Most common offenses seem to be filled in puzzles/games inside (especially on golden age), and of course missing wraps/centerfolds/pages (nothing kills the value of a book quicker). Page counts are the first thing checked on it's way in the door, and last thing checked on it's way out. Never too shy to blab about that one blush.gif, done ranting now (can you tell that I just got a book in that shape). tongue.gif

Thanks folks. Boiled down the answer with some leg work, and help from some different folks who should know.

One of the preliminary (not foolproof) tricks I used to narrow down the options was comparing the interior contents vs. some of the large online databases which provide story credits feature by feature (really helpful with strip-style books). Be forewarned... some of their surrounding data is also taken from other publications like Overstreet (which is not always consistent on page counts), so I couldn't take the page counts on the sites at face value.

It was kinda funny how many variations on page counts and histories I was able to find... there is a lot of info about these early "comic books" to be had, but man was there a lot of variation in the facts on those 1933-1934 comics.

For future reference, interior page count is 32 pages, 36 counts the covers. 8 interior wraps, which matches up with the book in my hands 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif.

Glad you found out! That is a great book! Enjoy it! (or sell it to me.... wink.gif)

Thank you... if you think that's great, you should see the real prize in my inventory: my PR/FA, flooded, unprotected, cover stuck to the book above and below it in a stack, Sensation 1 ... now that one has reeeal charm 27_laughing.gifyay.gif

I'm kinda glad I don't know what books were stuck above and below the Sensation in the flooded stack 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif