• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldtimer

54 posts in this topic

I am not accustomed to your web-site, but I thought I would join for fun. I am a member of only 1 other forum...Futurama Fan Forum, and I must say it's easier to navigate there, than here. Oh well...I'll try.

Anyhoo.....I used to collect comics. Wanted to see what collectors now are up to.

I stopped in 1985, and haven't really looked back...until now.

My name is Billy...I started collecting in 1966. Don't ask...I'm not selling anything!! Nothing left, really....

I helped set up San Diegos' first convention at the U.S. Grant hotel in 1970, with Shel Dorf. I've met Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Steranko....and oh yeah......Mr. Frank Frazetta.

I was at the core of collectings' beginnings and thought it would be cool to chat with other, newer fans.

Anyway....I'm here, so......whatever!!!

Hi Billy,

I will also watch American Idol tonight. Perhaps I will drink a beer and read a comic or two. I will then get back to writing my treatise on the use of the ellipsis in modern parlance.

--Sean.

Welcome aboard, feel free to share your memories about those early shows anytime you like.

I, for one, never tire of reading accounts of the way early shows developed for both vendors/dealers as well as the fans.... thumbsup2.gif

I am not accustomed to your web-site, but I thought I would join for fun. I am a member of only 1 other forum...Futurama Fan Forum, and I must say it's easier to navigate there, than here. Oh well...I'll try.

Anyhoo.....I used to collect comics. Wanted to see what collectors now are up to.

I stopped in 1985, and haven't really looked back...until now.

My name is Billy...I started collecting in 1966. Don't ask...I'm not selling anything!! Nothing left, really....

I helped set up San Diegos' first convention at the U.S. Grant hotel in 1970, with Shel Dorf. I've met Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Steranko....and oh yeah......Mr. Frank Frazetta.

I was at the core of collectings' beginnings and thought it would be cool to chat with other, newer fans.

Anyway....I'm here, so......whatever!!!

hi.gif

Are you considering collecting comics again?

Nah. I'm poor.

But I do have most of my faves in hardback form....thank God for Russ Cochran!!

It's become less about the value than the art, for me.

Like it was when I statred!!!

I still have a catalog from a bookstore in Hollywood, circa 1970, that lists Fantastic Four #1 for sale......25 bucks.

AND.....I could have bought the ORIGINAL Frazetta painting, 'Executioner'...for 800 dollars!!!

I could go on and on.....

Sigh.....

Hi Billy,

I will also watch American Idol tonight. Perhaps I will drink a beer and read a comic or two. I will then get back to writing my treatise on the use of the ellipsis in modern parlance.

--Sean.

. . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . sumo.gif

Nah. I'm poor.

But I do have most of my faves in hardback form....thank God for Russ Cochran!!

It's become less about the value than the art, for me.

Like it was when I statred!!!

I still have a catalog from a bookstore in Hollywood, circa 1970, that lists Fantastic Four #1 for sale......25 bucks.

AND.....I could have bought the ORIGINAL Frazetta painting, 'Executioner'...for 800 dollars!!!

I could go on and on.....

Sigh.....

I love Russ Cochran!...

welcome, please feel free to share (especially some early SD memories)...that is what these boards are for!

rick

In what way is that a post for my benefit??

I'm confused.....

If you're confused, you'll fit in here nicely.

Egotistical self centered high grade comic books nobbs.

That's us.