• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAILS GAME

2,819 posts in this topic

That's a good question comicdey and the answer to that kicks off our next game. Here is the new serial for the lottery. 0078629001.

1746689-Ironman1SS.jpg

Wow, a great response to Comicdey's question...although I was thinking the same thing as him with the first mention of deslabbing.

Yep, a sig of Gene Colan on a 9.8 Iron Man #1 is probably the BEST reason to crack the original slab. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, that was brave. The slightest mishandling could have destroyed that 9.8 grade.

No *spoon*! That took some balls. grin.gif

I'd be afraid I'd lose the 9.8 just from taking it out of the slab, let alone letting someone else handle it. Knowing my luck, he'd stress the spine signing it and then toss it back to me. crazy.gif

That's a good question comicdey and the answer to that kicks off our next game. Here is the new serial for the lottery. 0078629001.

Here's the closest I have: John Carter, Warlord of Mars #1 #0076170016.

JohnCarter1.jpg

Uncanny X-Men #173 Universal 0079185003 9.8 WHITE

I need to take a pic confused-smiley-013.gif Its in my registry

Photos would be nice but not necessary if it's in your registry. You need to post it if you win though. The registry is really not perfect in determining ownership. There are a few who have sold their books and forgot to take them off their sets.

Well, I can't beat that. But, I did notice something interesting about the numbers. The number on Grails book seems older than it should be if it was assigned just a few months ago. When was your book graded Scheradon?

My closest book begins 0080 and it is a Wolverine that was graded at least a couple years ago. Maybe CGC assigns numbers according to some order that is not purely chronological confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't the serial # based partially on the invoice #? Someone could have a stack of old invoices lying around for years and submit using them and the serial # on the slab would reflect those old invoice #'s. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, I can't beat that. But, I did notice something interesting about the numbers. The number on Grails book seems older than it should be if it was assigned just a few months ago. When was your book graded Scheradon?

My closest book begins 0080 and it is a Wolverine that was graded at least a couple years ago. Maybe CGC assigns numbers according to some order that is not purely chronological confused-smiley-013.gif

I actually don't know when it was graded as it was an eBay win.

I have a 2001: A Space Odyssey #1 #0002664015 that's got the new label. Now it could have just been reholdered I guess... confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't the serial # based partially on the invoice #? Someone could have a stack of old invoices lying around for years and submit using them and the serial # on the slab would reflect those old invoice #'s. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think this is right. I've heard this before and it makes since if that's how they number them.

So, if a stack of invoices never gets submitted, does that mean there will forever be a gap in the serial numbers? Kind of interesting if that's how they do it.

Good question and I don't know. Can anyone else shed any light? I know most of this relies on the honor system. The winner who is closest to the number must have the book in their possession. But there is always that 1%.

Uncanny X-Men #173 Universal 0079185003 9.8 WHITE

I need to take a pic confused-smiley-013.gif Its in my registry

Photos would be nice but not necessary if it's in your registry. You need to post it if you win though. The registry is really not perfect in determining ownership. There are a few who have sold their books and forgot to take them off their sets.

Sure thats not a problem thumbsup2.gif

Good question and I don't know. Can anyone else shed any light? I know most of this relies on the honor system. The winner who is closest to the number must have the book in their possession. But there is always that 1%.

My last 3 completed submissions over a two year period had these invoice #'s which match the first 7 numbers of my books.

I have a submission at cgc now, and the invoice # has risen considerably. I used the same envelope of submission forms for my first 3 submissions. My last submission, I used my new envelope of submission forms.

When the books are graded, I'v noticed 001, 002, 003 at the end, making the 10 digit number.

BTW CGC ads a 0 in the beginning of the submission form # In other words the submission form #'s for above are:

They are planning ahead. insane.gif

My closest is an Avengers 19, serial number 0078692015. This is 63,014 from the target serial number. If it is closest (and I doubt it will be once Ghost Town goes through his mass of slabs), I'll scan and post my book. Too busy getting ready for this weekends' Virtual Comic Con to scan it now. juggle.gif

My last 3 completed submissions over a two year period had these invoice #'s which match the first 7 numbers of my books.

I have a submission at cgc now, and the invoice # has risen considerably. I used the same envelope of submission forms for my first 3 submissions. My last submission, I used my new envelope of submission forms.

When the books are graded, I'v noticed 001, 002, 003 at the end, making the 10 digit number.

BTW CGC ads a 0 in the beginning of the submission form # In other words the submission form #'s for above are:

They are planning ahead. insane.gif

To shed some more light on this subject, the new submission forms have higher shipping costs in the chart. I suppose you could use an old submission form, and fill in the correct shipping costs. confused-smiley-013.gif I don't see why not.