• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GET READY !

15 posts in this topic

Was just reading my Newsweek when I got to the Newsmakers section and the main topic was the 4 Marvel movies coming in 2003! The bulk of the article was on on X2 the X-men sequel and they had a shot of Nightcrawler. Also mentions of Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil. Hopefully the hype will give a much needed shot in the arm to the ebay and comics markets in general.

The real hype doesn't start until the movie is on the verge of coming out, or at least that's what happened earlier this year with Spidey. I was buying Spider-Mans in February/March for prices in line with Overstreet guide. Sometime in late April, a few weeks before the film came out, is when the prices started rising by 50% or more on pretty much any Silver or Bronze age issue.

I agree that the market is in a slow down of sorts but take a look at recent

DD sales. The hype has already started and the shot had been administerd.

A lot of the recent DD sale prices have fallen hugely since the summer.

Sure, #131-132, #158 and #168 are still on fire, but the days of $255 DD 184

9.6s and $295 DD 188 9.6s are long gone...I saw a 189 9.6 sell for $29 this

past week, 1/10th of that 188 9.6 sold for on July 1. The non-key Miller DD

prices are down an average of over 40% since July, I would estimate. I track

prices closely and I've seen some prices fall as much as 88% from summer

peak levels.

Don't count on Movie Hype to save the market. So many people got burned

by the Spidey bust after the movie and now the Miller DD bust (though prices

will probably rebound *temporarily* when the DD movie comes out) that I have

to believe that people won't be so stupid to keep getting burned on every movie

fad. If you keep playing the Greater Fool Theory, when the music stops, the

greatest fool will be YOU.

Gene

I have seen several commercials for the Spidey dvd coming next week and I bet that will even induce some to buy some comics - or to al least bid more. Even Hulk and DD prices have slowed down - a DD 1 7.0 sold last night for $900 and the last one I saw at 7.0 sold a few months back at $1500! But the hype does not seem to really hit the fan until the full tv ad blitz starts - and the action figures - and the slurpee cups etc.

yeah the books other than 131,158,168 are doing nothing. I should have referecne KEY issues in my statement. But the prices on these will fall as well as time goes on. The movie buzz will generate record sales (i.e. DD #131 for $900+ in 9.6). I have seen major drops in Spidey books as well. ASm #39 in 9.2 for $547??? That is super low. Many books not meeting reserves. But then u have insanity like a 9.9 USM getting $450. So it is hard to predict the market right now it seems.

a DD 1 7.0 sold last night for $900 and the last one I saw at 7.0 sold a few months back at $1500!

Actually, Heritage just sold one in their auction for $1,200 (according to ebay's completed auction record for it). Anyhow, this is good news as I'm looking for one of these! The copy that sold last night had CR/OW pages, which on it's own wouldn't bother me too much, but the cover was showing tanning..which I hate. Give me a solid Fn-ish copy with a nice white (off-white) cover and I'll be happy laugh.gif .

that $1200 (with BP $1380) one was nick cage's. And I thought that price was high. 1500? Forget that for a 7.0. Shopping around you could find an 8.0 for close to that price.

Many books not meeting reserves. But then u have insanity like a 9.9

USM getting $450. So it is hard to predict the market right now it seems.

Very true. People should probably stop trying to figure out what the movies

will do to comic book prices and just sit back with a large tub of popcorn and

enjoy the movies themselves. I just read that The Rock is being considered for

the lead role in the Punisher flick. Now that I would like to see. Not that I'm

a WWE (nee WWF) fan, but hey, the guy is a after all, heheh.

Gene

is he better than Dolph Lundgren? I would hope so. I wonder who he would go up against....thugs, cartel, Kingpin, DD cameo? I hope ther eare a few cameos in the DD flick or the next Spidey,XMEN,Hulk movies. Would be cool to see some other faces if only for a few secs.

The movies will probably have no long-term effect on the hobby UNLESS the interest in the movies/characters translates into more people buying comics.

Well that goes without saying - but if you are buying for resale and prehype to turn books, now is the time and not 4 months from now when the blitz starts and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I just saw a cgc 9.0 X-men 10 go for $260 - about $200 less than it should have sold during a hype or good time!