• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truly Frightening Comics?

21 posts in this topic

There have been "horror" comics since the Golden Age, but I'm wondering if there are any horror comics that have truly curdled your blood when you read them? I must admit that even Stephen King novels are only "interesting fun" to me so I'm looking for something that actually gets into your head after you read it. Any ideas?

There was one issue of the Moore run in Swamp Thing that, while I wouldn't call it blood-curdling, was very creepy. It was the issue where this couple goes to a 'haunted' house. I can't recall the issue #, but it's in the first Moore Swamp Thing trade. Anyone remember that issue #?

I'd recommend picking up some of those trades for some good horror reads.

Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco. A Graphic Novel report on the Bosnian War - there is a scene where a butcher slaughters a family at a bridge before tossing them in the river - the parents forced to watch the children killed first - not particularly graphic, but horrifying because it actually happened. I had bad dreams after reading that one.

There was one issue of the Moore run in Swamp Thing that, while I wouldn't call it blood-curdling, was very creepy. It was the issue where this couple goes to a 'haunted' house. I can't recall the issue #, but it's in the first Moore Swamp Thing trade. Anyone remember that issue #?

I'll ditto this. The early Alan Moore Swamp Things had some truly creepy stores.

I'll second the alan moore swampys, one or two hellboys have had a good moody ghost sequence that was really well done, can' t remember which ones, but they would have been earlier apps. I really think its the art in the moore swampys that adds to the creepy level, its just really creepy art, and led by a great story, its the perfect combo.

Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco. A Graphic Novel report on the Bosnian War - there is a scene where a butcher slaughters a family at a bridge before tossing them in the river - the parents forced to watch the children killed first - not particularly graphic, but horrifying because it actually happened. I had bad dreams after reading that one.

Pages 110 & 111. I won't post them but you are right. There's nothing more horrifying than real events of that nature being related. frown.gifSafe Area Gorazde is a riveting and eye-opening read though.

Also, call me a Milquetoast but I didn't care for the Walking Dead torture issue at all. I thought it was gratuitous (sp?) and unnecessary. Although I found it in bad taste, it didn't affect me as much as the previous issue where the black character is herself restrained and abused. That's more likely to affect me. Still, that torture issue kinda killed my interest in the book. sign-rantpost.gif

A couple early Sandman issues were very creepy. '24 Hours' in the diner or the one with the serial killers convention.

A couple early Sandman issues were very creepy. '24 Hours' in the diner or the one with the serial killers convention.

The Corinthian was one of the best baddies ever. headbang.gif

How about Maus? Not truly frightening, and even though they are portrayed as mice, seeing "mice" hanging in the streets or shot for fun (sport), was tough to read. Even though I'm a WW2 history buff, to have it depicted like that stayed with me.

Jay

You know some of the EC stuff is pretty freaky (in a fun way). I guess it is hard to scare someone when your medium of conveyance lacks the ability for someone to pop out and go boo! Never the less there have been some great horror book over the years.

Dude, that white monkey demon from the Moore run still freaks me out. Can't remember its name or the specific issues, but that thing was not cool. 893whatthe.gif

Also, call me a Milquetoast but I didn't care for the Walking Dead torture issue at all. I thought it was gratuitous (sp?) and unnecessary. Although I found it in bad taste, it didn't affect me as much as the previous issue where the black character is herself restrained and abused. That's more likely to affect me. Still, that torture issue kinda killed my interest in the book. sign-rantpost.gif

I guess you can call me a Milquetoast too because that doesn't sound too appealing. Should I not pick up some of the trades I was considering?

I guess you can call me a Milquetoast too because that doesn't sound too appealing. Should I not pick up some of the trades I was considering?

Nah, if you like the book so far, it's equally as good and as unpredictable. I just found that taking most of one month's worth of story time to show us pages of torture scene wasn't the best use of storytelling time. But, take it out and the story is still keeping one on pins and needles to see what next catastrophe will hit the group. It's tough to look away.

I don't consider myself squeamish while reading comic books(but I will leave the room if my wife puts on some surgery show from th discovery channel), but I remember feeling quite ill after reading an issue of THE INVISIBLE (Vertigo, vol.3?). IIRC it was issue 5 and had something to do with the Marque DeSade. I haven't got the nerve up to re-read it yet, but I will one day.