• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Stars

441 posts in this topic

AllStar005web.jpg

AllStar005BACKweb.jpg

I am not sure if i am going about this correctly, but I always seem to be having pass word issues with my previous acocunt BLBcomics. So i created a new account if that is OK. If not, some one will advise me I am sure.

I am going to begin posting All Star Comics from The Collection of Jerry Bails.

This man, if there ever was one, started comics fandom as we know it today back in April 1961 when he and Roy Thomas issued Alter Ego #1, the first fanzine devoted to super heroes.

Jerry upgraded over the course of more than 40 years - many copies are truly beautiful. As i go through this wonderous run, I will post front and back covers here, to document them. The paper inside is mostly usually white - he hand picked through a lot of collections back in the day.

They will be offered for sale at this year's San Diego Comicon in my booth. There is also several dozen pages of Silver Age DC art work with a Justice Society flavor such as pages from JLA 21, Flash 137, Showcase 55 and more. I will be getting to those as well soon enough, posting their images here.

Jerry was my friend. I miss him a lot.

One thing i wish to state is this new ID for me here is no shill thing, i was having troubles with my BLBcomics ID thing, was in a hurry, and this ROBERT BEERBOHM secret identity for this thread is strictly for All Things Jerry Bails.

If you have some Jerry artifact you wish to share, please, by all means, post it here

- let's see what all you out there in CGC-Land know of your collective history.

This man started Comics Fandom, of which we are now in the internet version of fanzine publishing. Back in the day, going back 46 years ago, about 100, maybe 125, copies he printed himself of Alter Ego #1 - the first super hero comics fanzine.

Not the earliest comics fanzine. That honor as far as i can tell goes to David Kyle with his Phantasy World comics fanzine back in 1936-37

I am currently getting a number of PMs about these All Stars. If OK i will just answer all of the basic same queries here.

yes, the run is going to be for sale - - i have been honored to asked to handle my friend Jerry Bails's inner most core of his collection which he had begun disposing of a decade ago. He boiled it all down to things pertaining to The Justice Society of Ame

I am currently grading and pricing out All Star 4-32 34-35 37-57 loose copies

most in very nice shape as you see here

- the man upgraded for over 50 years, and in the spirit of the Bangzoom descriptions, Jerry kept these 4 issues raw no mylar in acid free boxes stuck away out of light enclosed with great humidity & temp controls on his material.

All the paper is for the most part very white as you can see in these initial scans.

His estate also has Gardner Fox's personal bound volumes of All Star 1-57 with the last 3rd volume also containing Comic Cavalcade 28-34. Jerry had struck a deal with Gardner back in the early 1960s.

rica.

His widow Jean and long time helper friend Ray Bottorff (also with the GCD indexing board at www.comics.org) are composing a Certificate of Authenticity which she will sign that these All Stars and the JSA art from many different Silver Age titles was

FROM THE COLLECTION OF JERRY BAILS

I wish i was able to make the trek back to Detroit, but in all honesty, my 80 yr old mother had spine surgery, was in the hospital still when i just made a trip to Detroit with empty van and trailer, as i was asked to prep this aspect of Jerry's estate for sale to the public.

I have to be here to encourage her to get back on her feet, the healing process from this major concept in cutting into the human body is very important not to BTL Bend Twist Lift for some time. Oh well, one takes in life as one can, we have all been there before

Truly an honor to be working with The Spirit of Jerry Bails,

It is a possibility i will have some of these slabbed, but not all, as i post these here for public inspection

- and i thank RareHighGrade for pointing out that All Star 5 19 most likely are Church copies and the exquisite 6 is a Lamont, which i just noticed once pointed out

Do we really need to rush to slab Church and Larson copies?

Maybe - now we are discussing multiples of Guide

There are a couple things what this thread is all about, to me at least,

1) Honoring Jerry Bail's memory

- we all owe him for what we call The Silver Age as much as we all collectively honor the creators who brought us a wonderful time in history when the revivals and intro of new ideas beginning in the late 1950s and culminating in many degrees with what Kirby and Ditko with an assist from Mr Lee delighted us with thru the 60s.

Jerry was one of those sent advance B&W copies to read for B&B 34 Kubert Hawkman in 1960 which led to letter exchanges which directly led to Jerry issuing Alter Ego #1 (with Roy Thomas) some months later

- and Jerry built not just the first super hero zine, but also the first news zine ON THE DRAWING BOARD which title changes to THE COMIC READER

as well as the first comics adzine of the modern era THE COMICOLLECTOR which came out of the earliest ALTER EGOs, which ended up going to a merger with GB Love's ROCKET'S BLAST as of RB merging with CC as RBCC #29

I began getting RBCC with #45 (early 1966) - and every one back then seemed to know Jerry Bails. I was soon on his regular bi-monthly comics sales lists - and he had no problem including flyers from other dealers it seems.

His archive of all his publishing activities back then i was blessed with researching and will be doing more on says so.

By the early 1970s he was beginning to realize he no longer had to be so involved as the concept of full service comic book stores was beginning to take hold as my generation began opening up comic book stores all over the country

The 1965 seminal article in NEWSWEEK on comic book collecting which spot lighted Jerry was key in the early building of the consciousness of old comic books having "value" as well as a unique American art form on some levels.

Anyway, will be getting a few more scanned here very shortly - plus some of the art, and his JJSA kit stuff - multiples on some pieces

Robert Beerbohm

AllStar008WEB.jpg

AllStar08BACKweb.jpg

Bob,

these are some very nice books. Will you be having them pressed and graded for the San Diego show, or offering them raw?

sign-funnypost.gif

And there are a couple copies in need of color touch as well gossip.gif

Am not sure yet re encapsulating with CGC

Right now i wish to investigate them to ascertain providence re Pedigree

Church and Larson are already at the table - i am sure there are others from at least those two pedigrees. There are other truly beautiful copies which the collective hive will be checking out here shortly

There is still plenty of time before sealing up them up - they debut for sale on some form at The San Diego Comicon. Maybe as some form of silent auction - first i must figure out what i am working with here. Jerry left no providence notes - to him, he was merely upgrading

There was a note he paid $350 for the All Star #5 and noted it as mint - this was on a little piece of note paper in the bag it was in

I have since moved everything into double boarded Mylite #2 GOLD to protect them

- and i thank RareHighGrade for pointing out that All Star 5 19 most likely are Church copies and the exquisite 6 is a Lamont, which i just noticed once pointed out

Bob, post them all if you have the time. It'd be fun to see what other Church & Larson copies he had, as well as other pedigrees.

I know you've been in the business for a long time, but if it were me, I'd be asking for advice on pricing. If slabbed and in a Heritage auction, some of those books could achieve crazy multiples. Selling them raw at San Diego, I'd be afraid I was short-changing myself.

Bob, from what I can tell, the All Star 5 and 19 are Church copies and the 6 is a Larson, is that correct?

I think so - now that you have pointed it out. I just got a pile of stuff i am going through, and this All Star run is one aspect i am delving into slowly for a host of reasons, with the main on being that so many of the issues are just so damn nice. Kind of scary in a way - goose bumps and all.

I think there are more pedigrees in here

Bob, from what I can tell, the All Star 5 and 19 are Church copies and the 6 is a Larson, is that correct?

I think so

No doubt about it in my mind. As for the All-Star #8, probably not a Hawkeye, as that pedigree has no identifiable markings.

Bob, post them all if you have the time. It'd be fun to see what other Church & Larson copies he had, as well as other pedigrees.

I know you've been in the business for a long time, but if it were me, I'd be asking for advice on pricing. If slabbed and in a Heritage auction, some of those books could achieve crazy multiples. Selling them raw at San Diego, I'd be afraid I was short-changing myself.

I agree with you, and maybe that did not come thru well enough in these previous somewhat longish couple posts as i tried to answer myriad questions on these.

Some are just VG+, a few, they are not worth it - these are mainly in the higher numbers

But Mile High

Larson

sure - be stupid not to

Once theoretical values are ascertained, following a collective figuring out what might be what or who the original owner might have been on some of these books, then the next step, i think, is to slab up the obvious candidates