• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground Comix

199 posts in this topic

I would also take the Zap #1 cover over almost anything else Crumb did, though the back cover of Zap #0 has always been my favorite single page (since my mom did throw my comics out when I was 9 or 10 years old).

I had Crumb sign the back cover of my Zap #0 (since it applies to me as well).

Sometime I'll have to tell those painful stories, about dear old Mom burning my comics, in the "Tales of Crawdad forum!

I saw the Yerba Buena Crumb show - it was unbelievable. I remarked when exiting, I shoulda brought a drool cup...

There were guards there in every room, watching pretty closely...

Maybe 30 or so years ago, when there were some pretty crazed individuals in the hobby, god nose what kind of impossible missions they might have tried!

Most of us "underground" collectors also look for OA by certain artists that was not necessarily published in comic books... Anybody have any oddball stuff like that for sale or trade?

Jim Osborne gave me some Melinda Gebbe ephemera that included a piece of original art he described as "juvenilia" in the neat message he wrote on the back.

1889535-gebbie59.jpg

1889535-gebbie59.jpg.dc971937be07ba61825a90b27d3f4021.jpg

right, the Gebbe piece does have a sketchy '50s Playboy look.

Now, here's a fanzine I published in 1970, the cover art contributed by Art Spiegelman and Jazey Lynch.

cream-puff-war-projuniorr.JPG

Sorry this is the scan I tagged - I still have a couple of the 1st generation orriginal dittos of the cover.

One of friends has the whole fanzine, with some interior stuff on comix by me, but no other actual UG artists in this issue of Private Papers.

That's a ditto, one of about 50 printed directly from the ditto master that Art & Jay drew on.

What became of the master with the actual original art on it?

Or the unpublished C*NT #2 original art by Rory Hayes that he traded me for ECs?

One possibility is the Doppler Gang party where weird things were given away as prizes in a surreal game without rules (and without drugs, believe it or don't!)

I admit I was trying to top "Fribbish", another of our games that made no sense but seemed like fun at the time.

Or, maybe stuff might have been left behind in the journalism cabinet where I had stacks of dittos and private papers, including letters from Carl Barks (he sent me 2 in 1969).

my brain was drained from final exams and teenage crises during the last few months of my senior year at Lowell HS...

The chaos of that Spiegelman and Lynch cover art reflects high school crams and clique insanity in general rather nicely.

They had stumbled across some of my ditto comix zines on the bottom shelf at the SF Comic Book Co., and without being asked, sent this cover, which we gratefully used on the next issue.

At least one complete copy of this issue still exists, in the collection of a co-hort who stayed in contact with me over the years...

perhaps others exist (along with the original art) in the archives of other members who have chosen to remain more private.

I still have 2 (one copy only) of my 1969-1970 ditto zines which feature pages by Rory Hayes, an unknown (unsigned, forgot his name) underground artist hanging out at Gary Arlington's (SFCBC), plus fellow dopplergangers and I.

cream-puff-war-Rory%20Hayes%20FF%20art%20006.jpg

Dope thread... some guys that just don't post enough IMHO!

Showponysydnee... your underground OA collection is just fantastic. Thanks for sharing the link. I wonder why it is that some of the items have restricted access and we have to create an account to see? Adult intellectuals only, perhaps?

Eggs... How you been? Buying anything sweet lately?

Either of you lads heading to San Diego?

Cheers, Om

Doing fine. Thanks for asking. This was the first time I tried starting a thread. Who knew that it would gain a life of its own? No new OA recently but did get a dynamite NM copy of San Francisco #1. Only took me over a decade to find. I am not able to go to San Diego this year but will make a serious attempt in 2008.

Oldmilwaukee6er,

Thank You for the kind words regarding my Underground OA Collection.

As for the restricted access to most of my Underground OA posted in my CAF Gallery, have to be careful of those "Community Standards". There are some that may find these artworks offensive. If they are locked, with restricted access and therefore with a warning, then they have to verify that they are at >18 years of age. The owner and manager of City Lights Bookstore were arrested because they were accused of selling ZAP #4 to underage individuals. Incidentally, Albert Morse represented them. Yes, the same Albert Morse of "Morse Funnies". Also better known as the individual that is responsible for Mainstreaming Tattoo art for all Americans. Prior to the publication of his book on tattoo art, only people on the fringes of society sported tattoos.

Check this link: http://www.albertmorse.net/

Also: For everyones enjoyment, another artwork link from my CAF Gallery:

http://qurls.com?i=2796

This was given to Albert as payment for legal work to secure the rights to his character "Cheech Wizard". Albert Morse was always paid for his legal work by the Underground Artist Community with Original Art.

Here's another artwork I offered to loan Mark Bode when they were honoring his father at the SDCC last year. I never heard back from him. Possibly too painful.

http://qurls.com?i=2797

I probably will not attend this years San Diego Comic Con unless it is to consumate a large transaction (Original Art) that can not be consumated at the Chicago Wizard Con.

I do plan to attend the Chicago Wizard con this year on Saturday for a few hours and maybe Sunday to finalize business.

I would be happy to meet up if anyone is attending the Chicago Wizard Con.

Great nab on your SF#1 (!)... does that mean that your undercopy is now avail (you might recall I have a few of your undercopies, e.g. CGC 8.5 Natch #2, and CGC 8.5 Tales of Toad #2)? I myself have only a place-holder SF#1... it is nice, but missing the last three pages- so not really, more like PR 0.5.

Anyways... no San Diego fun for you lads, alas. I get two daze at the Con and I am looking forward to it. Particularly to seeing the MOWRY-SALVAGED PLYMELLS up close... inspecting the books, and seeing the COAs. Plus hanging out with some of the fellow boards members from CPG... and seeing Arnie Scheiman's booth. Good times, good times.

Not making it to Chicago this year... last went about 1999 to that show (grew up near Joliet, IL).