What age has the best covers????

What age has the best covers???  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What age has the best covers???

57 posts in this topic

MutantKeys   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 40,597 posts

Tough for me to make a vote right now.. I need to think about it for a little while

MutantKeys   
  • 40,597 posts
gossip.gif you forgot the c-r-a-c-k.
sorry.gif

Mac Man   
  • 13,113 posts

I think the Silver UXM Steranko covers is what put it over in favor of Silver for me. I think Copper would have won out otherwise (a la Miler, McFarlane) with perhaps Neal Adams leading the way for a third place Bronze.

MutantKeys   
  • 40,597 posts

I ended up voting for gold... reason why I did so is because some of the Golden Age Horror and GGA covers are some of the best I have ever seen

Mac Man   
  • 13,113 posts

It's really funny how graphic some of those golden oldies got, you know? Decapitated heads on pikes, and whatnot- sheesh!-) 893whatthe.gif

Karma23   
  • 4,566 posts

I think it's Gold hands down based on the Horror, Sci-Fi, Crime, and War titles alone!

Sal   
  • 15,125 posts

i think the only reason - outside of overriding nostalgia - someone wouldn't put Gold as their choice is that they haven't seen very many GA covers. just the sheer breadth and depth of choices in the GA alone make it number one for me

Mac Man   
  • 13,113 posts
i think the only reason - outside of overriding nostalgia - someone wouldn't put Gold as their choice is that they haven't seen very many GA covers. just the sheer breadth and depth of choices in the GA alone make it number one for me

Well... technically speaking, I've seen fewer GA covers than any other age, so... in part you are correct. It doesn't mean I would necessarily vote GA, but it would definitely give that era a better chance.

rjpb   
  • 16,375 posts
Gold. No question. confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

This is where I have to go for the Gold - plenty of great and interesting stuff since, and plenty of weak stuff then - but nothing screams COMIC BOOK like a classic Golden Age cover.

My least favorite - The Bronze Age mainstream comics (especially post '72) - a sea of ugly wherever you look - the exceptions often hindered by hideous contest banners and the like. The few bright spots like Neal Adams coves and the DC Horror books from the early 1970s only remind me of how disappointing most everything else was.

october   
  • 29,777 posts

My least favorite - The Bronze Age mainstream comics (especially post '72) - a sea of ugly wherever you look - the exceptions often hindered by hideous contest banners and the like. The few bright spots like Neal Adams coves and the DC Horror books from the early 1970s only remind me of how disappointing most everything else was.

Totally agree. 73-80 had VERY few bright spots. Talk about books that are driven primarily by nostalgia...

I almost cringe when I see Marvels from that era. Butt ugly, boring covers on 99% of them.

crazy.gif

Earl Davis   
  • 2,639 posts

Platinum.

Actually I luv em' all.

Mac Man   
  • 13,113 posts

Bronze X-Men- these were good. Can't knock them, and N. Adams as I mentioned earlier.

Has no one got love for the Silvers?

Mo Fun   
  • 167 posts

I love Silver Marvels, those great Ditko & Kirby covers are my favorites. All of my favorite characters came out of this age.

nickwire   
  • 2,804 posts

damn, thats tough, gold had shomburg and lb cole etc etc, bronze have adams and wrightson etc etc, moderns have hughes, ross etc etc.....tough indeed