• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last one for this week: ASM 64 grade?

12 posts in this topic

The only flaws I see are:

1 - smudge in the yellow text box on the upper left of FC

2 - slightly rounded corners all around

3 - three creases on the back cover - above "free", "large" and "by"

4 - some discoloration / wear on the back spine

would it be a 9.0????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

I'll call it a VF. Didn't see much more than what Dave described. Looks like some stress marks on the back cover as well. Would guess CGC grades 64's tougher due to them being seemingly overabundant.

Brian

Thank you a lot, Brian. I'm always lucky... frown.gif

Anyway, now I've finally an idea of what I have, so I can post my sale announcement for this little bunch of ASM books. Thanks again!

Has the lower left corner on the back been bent and flattened back (or is that a scanning artifact)? The discoloration their looks like it might have been interrupted due to the cover being less than flat.

On the front lower right corner, is that wear on the lower edge? Looks like the color is faded/lessened a bit (but I'm not familiar enough with this cover to know if that is how it is supposed to be).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Has the lower left corner on the back been bent and flattened back (or is that a scanning artifact)? The discoloration their looks like it might have been interrupted due to the cover being less than flat.

Wow, you have a great eye Fan4Fan. I just checked, and there is indeed a slight corner bump. This is not very visible unless you hold the book up against the light. Anyway, the corner has not been flattened back (the gloss is perfect, and there are no other signs), there is just the "natural" (drop?) bump.

On the front lower right corner, is that wear on the lower edge? Looks like the color is faded/lessened a bit (but I'm not familiar enough with this cover to know if that is how it is supposed to be).

Yes, you are right again. There is a bit of wear on the lower edge. Here is a magnified scan of this area.

Do you think that these flaws could significantly bring down the grade? tonofbricks.gif

Thanks a lot for your kindness!

Do you think that these flaws could significantly bring down the grade? tonofbricks.gif

Thanks a lot for your kindness!

Dunno... I'm good at picking out problems (just ask my wife stooges.gif) but not always so hot at applying what I've learned.

Anyway... this looks 8.5ish to me... a good case for having finer gradations in the 7.5 to 9.0 range.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I'll call it a VF. Didn't see much more than what Dave described. Looks like some stress marks on the back cover as well. Would guess CGC grades 64's tougher due to them being seemingly overabundant.

Brian

That's bad if true, Brian! Why should scarcity have anything to do with the actual condition? Nothing of course. A grade should be a grade should be a grade...

My opinion only...

Mike

sign-rantpost.gif

right you are, Mike... but as many on these boards have noted, CGC is based on human interaction with, and perception of, the comic books they grade. Just as they tend to be more forgiving with older books, they could easily be influenced, subconsciously or otherwise, by a glut of one particular title or issue #.

And this is only human nature, after all... if I presented you with a hamburger for dinner every day for three months, then gave you a choice between burger again or fried chicken (or just about anything other than burger), I'm guessing that for the vast majority of people, that chicken would look awfully savory...