• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How NOT to package your comics to send through the mail

57 posts in this topic

I received a Hulk #3 I bought off Ebay that was mailed in a manilla envelope ( no cardboard at all ) and arrived wrapped around my mail with an elastic band around the whole bunch and shoved under my apartment door...jammed under there nicely.

Artboy99

The worst I got was from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at collectible planet, about 40 issues stuffed in a plastic grocery bag. No cardboard then they wrapped brown paper around them and away we go in the mail. At least they put delivery confirmation on it.

Isn't Collectible Planet the seller who charges $19.99 for shipping (on Ebay) for 20 books ? I tried reporting that as an overcharge through Ebay several times, but they said that they had no idea how much it costs to mail comics...:(

I THINK the worst I've had was someone cut a priority box in two, stuck the comics in the middle (with nothing around them, just raw, no bags) and then they taped the two sides of the box back together, but so badly, some of the comics stuck to the tape after they slide around inside...that and plain manila envelopes with no backing boards and nothing on the books..where the comic comes ripped with the envelope.

Now PACKING material, that's something else...I once got a diaper...hopefully unused, I was afraid to really examine it... :o

Yes they are. And if you critisize the way they ship they neg you. :frustrated:

I once received an X-Men #5 placed unbagged on one of those cardboard inserts they use on dress shirts, wrapped in two paper towels and mailed in a manila envelope. Good thing the book was just a reader.

A friend of mine received a Matchbox car taped to the inside of a used pizza box. The car even had cheese on it.

The worst I got was from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at collectible planet, about 40 issues stuffed in a plastic grocery bag. No cardboard then they wrapped brown paper around them and away we go in the mail. At least they put delivery confirmation on it.

Isn't Collectible Planet the seller who charges $19.99 for shipping (on Ebay) for 20 books ? I tried reporting that as an overcharge through Ebay several times, but they said that they had no idea how much it costs to mail comics...:(

I THINK the worst I've had was someone cut a priority box in two, stuck the comics in the middle (with nothing around them, just raw, no bags) and then they taped the two sides of the box back together, but so badly, some of the comics stuck to the tape after they slide around inside...that and plain manila envelopes with no backing boards and nothing on the books..where the comic comes ripped with the envelope.

Now PACKING material, that's something else...I once got a diaper...hopefully unused, I was afraid to really examine it... :o

I don't like their ads, they seem to be sneaky, they show a few good books and you just know the rest will be dreck...HOWEVER, if they showed Wonder Woman #6, I still wouldn't bid because of their shippping rip off thing...

It's amazing how many people do, though? Sorry about the problems, but thanks for sharing, now I KNOW none of their bargains are bargains...

So I bought a small lot of 20 comics on eBay. Nothing too valuable, but still a decent set of books in probably VF-ish condition.

I really don't know what to tell you all, but this is the box they arrived in. At least they smell slightly of strawberry.

No kidding. On either count.

Oh, I see you got my shipment. I hope you like the books.

I don't like their ads, they seem to be sneaky, they show a few good books and you just know the rest will be dreck...HOWEVER, if they showed Wonder Woman #6, I still wouldn't bid because of their shippping rip off thing...

It's amazing how many people do, though? Sorry about the problems, but thanks for sharing, now I KNOW none of their bargains are bargains...

I've also seen Collectible Planet advertise the same book ,first as a VF at an outrageous price and then later when it didn't sell as an F slightly lower.

Either they can't grade or they bogus grade due to greed.

When I was 15 I got a set of James Bond videos sent in a beer box...

Geesh...at least he could have included the beer.

I'm shocked that the post office even accepted that ceral box in which to mail!

Here in the states, they are much more strict about packaging.

And the sellers wonder why the buyer wants their money back.

I go to great lengths to plead with every seller that I win from (since you really don't know WHO you're dealing with, and it's poor judgement to ASSUME that someone you've never met is going to take the time to pkg. the way you would)....but I plead with them to use a box, bubble wrap, if coming outside the US, DOUBLE BOX IT....I'll even offer up xtra money.

It's just not worth risking getting your high grade bronze beauties all beat to mess.

I won a Transmetropolitan comic once...just ONE issue...years ago...that the seller sent me in the "Russian Egg" format...using 30 to 40 tyvack US mail envelopes. The book into env. #1, Env. #1 sealed into Env. #2, Env. #2 sealed into #3...this went on and on.

Took me 15 minutes to get to the center of that tootsie roll pop.

I was fuming by the time I finally got to the book.