• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman # 2 15 cent cover price.
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Here's a book you don't see every day. The 15 cent varient of Batman # 2.

It had moderate to extensive restoration by Matt Wilson.

(Tape removal, cleaning including ink writing removal, small peice replacement, tear seals, light color touch and press.)

What do you think a fair market value on this book is?

My opinion: The 15 cent cover price varient makes it so ultra-rare, it should be more despite the restoration.

According to something I read back in the early 90s (I can't find where I read it!) there are three known copies of the 15 cent Batman # 2.

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Batman2.jpg

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Batman2b.jpg

I just want to mention, the little yellow line above the lower staple, that was part of the original appearance of the book. (I still have a picture of the book pre-restoration somewhere, the line was there from the beginning, I believe it was printed that way and is therefore not a defect.)

I have to admit to not never having seen a copy of the 15-cent variant of Batman before... and I'm a pretty enthusiastic Golden Age collector...

If there are only three known copies, then yes I would think a significant premium would be in order... but perhaps that's already factored into the OS Guide price? In other words, it should certainly garner a premium vs. the "regular" version of Batman 2, but given the restoration, I'd still expect it to go for a % of whatever price has been assigned to the variant by OS or any precedent-setting auctions in the past few years.

Very cool book, regardless!

The Overstreet Guide states that 15 cent version was printed for Canadian distribution, but little is actually known about it. Overstreet doesn't even list seperate pricing for it, only a note that it exists. From what I've read, it was printed at the same time as the 10 cent version. The books are identical except for the cover price. At the time I read the article about the 15 cent Batman # 2, (I wish I could find the article! I know it was in the early 1990s I read it.) it was "suspected" to have been printed for Canadian distribution. Overstreet states that as fact, but I really have few details other than that--if anyone knows more about my book, I'd love to find out myself!

Charlie

Since it's the Canadian version, does Batman say, "eh?" at the end of every sentence?

BTW, very nice looking cover.

27_laughing.gif

Pretty funny. It's actually identical in every way. I really wish I could find out more about it. I still don't know that it's confirmed that it *is* a Canadian, the only evidence I have of that is a little note in Overstreet. When it was first discovered in the early 90s I read that it was "suspected" to be Canadian.

The only Canadian Golden Age books I know of are this book (assuming this is Canadian) and the Captain America and Marvel Mystery Annuals.

It was probably printed and published at the same time as the 10 cent Batman # 2. It's supposedly identical except for the cover price.

It's very curious though--if it's true that it's Canadian, might similar, as yet undiscovered, oddities like this exist? Perhaps even "keyer" super-keys?

Charlie

I had the first known copy of it, bought it in 1987, the cover was split, so I had Susan cicconi work on it when I met her at San Diego comic con, she brought that to my attention, so we asked Gary Carter about it, he's never seen it before. He had me take a photo copy of it and send it to him, he put it in his magazine comic book market place 19 ( I think). I ended up trading it for an 8.5 tales of suspense 39, spiderman1-42, and fantastic 4 1-44. I had 800 in the batman 2

I thought this was pretty interesting.

Facebook Link

‎Gary Honn

Thought I would show a book I use to have, it was the first known copy of a 15 cent variant of Batman 2. I've heard that 6 copies are known to exist. This is a photocopy of the book. It was published by Gary carter in his mag comicbook marketplace in '92.

Gary Honn 

I traded it for a run of Spider-Man 1-42, fantastic four 1-44 and a tales of suspense 39. I only had 800 in the book

c5hISur.jpg

ud36bix.jpg

sSmBtQ2.jpg

HD2QWgC.jpg

Well, I'll throw this out there. 

Despite the 50% mark up for the exact same comic and the restoration, I'm willing to pay the full original cover price if the seller still has it.

Just trying to do my part during these unique economic times. 

CBM says that "this copy" was not printed in Canada nor was it intended for distribution in Canada.  Did it mean this version??  How was it able to make that statement definitively?

So the last we have in this thread is that CBM said "no" to it being a Canadian version while Overstreet says "yes" it is Canadian?  What is the consensus today?

Didn't a copy come from Calvin Slobodian?

There are numbers above that say there is only one known copy all the way up to 6 known copies.  What is the consensus today?

Are there any other known early 15 cent only Batman books?  Batman #1 perhaps?  There's Detective 43 (late 1940) that has a known 15 cent version.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/27/2020 at 8:02 PM, pemart1966 said:

CBM says that "this copy" was not printed in Canada nor was it intended for distribution in Canada.  Did it mean this version??  How was it able to make that statement definitively?

So the last we have in this thread is that CBM said "no" to it being a Canadian version while Overstreet says "yes" it is Canadian?  What is the consensus today?

Didn't a copy come from Calvin Slobodian?

There are numbers above that say there is only one known copy all the way up to 6 known copies.  What is the consensus today?

Are there any other known early 15 cent only Batman books?  Batman #1 perhaps?  There's Detective 43 (late 1940) that has a known 15 cent version.

I do not think it was printed in Canada. It may have been intended for sale in Canada as the following issue, Batman #3 does have .15 cents in Canada printed on the cover. 

3 graded copies so far. Gotta be a few more somewhere. 

The only other .15 centers I have seen are the Tec 43 (Crippen D copy) and 2 More Fun #59. 

Interesting to note also it looks like the .15 centers have the yellow under Batman's hand along the edge. Anyone seen this on a .10 cent version? 

44 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

I do not think it was printed in Canada. It may have been intended for sale in Canada as the following issue, Batman #3 does have .15 cents in Canada printed on the cover. 

The only other .15 centers I have seen are the Tec 43 (Crippen D copy) and 2 More Fun #59. 

Interesting to note also it looks like the .15 centers have the yellow under Batman's hand along the edge. Anyone seen this on a .10 cent version? 

I can see it being printed in the US but how does one definitively state that it wasn't sold in Canada?

Not too sure where you're seeing yellow...is that the mark that looks like an upside down bottle opener?  If so, it looks as if it could be a tear in the cover.

45 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:
1 hour ago, Tbone911t said:

I can see it being printed in the US but how does one definitively state that it wasn't sold in Canada?

Not too sure where you're seeing yellow...is that the mark that looks like an upside down bottle opener?  If so, it looks as if it could be a tear in the cover.

On 10/5/2003 at 9:05 PM, RushComics said:

I just want to mention, the little yellow line above the lower staple, that was part of the original appearance of the book. (I still have a picture of the book pre-restoration somewhere, the line was there from the beginning, I believe it was printed that way and is therefore not a defect.)

As TBone911t mentions, it appears that the yellow mark is a printing artifact on the 15 cent variant.

Also, there were some new comments...

Link

L650bE3.png