• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,319 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  You nailed it.

Joanna gets the credit for making the connection.  I just got lucky and found the panel... but even there, I had a little help; the recently posted CL 14 splash page served as a subliminal reminder.  I knew I'd seen that image before, somewhere...  

And this will become important some day, when "The Big Book of Baker Swipes" is ultimately published.  

:whistle: 

16 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

And this will become important some day, when "The Big Book of Baker Swipes" is ultimately published.  

:whistle: 

So when I'm on Amazon pre-ordering Nelson's book on pedigrees, will it tell me "People who bought this book also bought 'The Big Book of Baker Swipes'"?

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

So when I'm on Amazon pre-ordering Nelson's book on pedigrees, will it tell me "People who bought this book also bought 'The Big Book of Baker Swipes'"?

Of course it will.  This is information we all need to know!

17 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Joanna- the scan you posted of Sweetheart Diary 38 seems to have vanished from your post... but were you thinking the 4th panel on this page from CL 14 is the source of the swipe you mentioned?  The composition does seem very close to SD 38...  

Edit:  Seeing the SD 38 cover again, I'd say that's a match.  Good catch!

cl14pg4.jpg

sweetheart_diary_38.jpg

Oh great!  Thank you for finding this and adding it to the thread.  I'm sure there are more connections we haven't made yet.  I'm thinking they had to change up the cover as the original version wouldn't have passed Comic Code.

Edited by JvR11

21 minutes ago, JvR11 said:

Oh great!  Thank you for finding this and adding it to the thread.  I'm sure there are more connections we haven't made yet.  I'm thinking they had to change up the cover as the original version wouldn't have passed Comic Code.

I think you are right.  In the original she seems to be in bed and is wearing a skimpy nightgown.  In the redrawn version she appears to have fallen asleep after reading her diary during the day and is wearing a daytime dress.  The CCA sure made things less interesting! :)

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
19 hours ago, JvR11 said:

I think you are right.  In the original she seems to be in bed and is wearing a skimpy nightgown.  In the redrawn version she appears to have fallen asleep after reading her diary during the day and is wearing a daytime dress.  The CCA sure made things less interesting! :)

The CCA's ham-handed approach to censorship is perhaps nowhere better illustrated than in this before-and-after comparison.  The panel on the left appeared in Harvey's Teen-Age Brides #5 (published before the Code), and the panel on the right is from the reprint in Teen Bride-to-Be Romances #20 (published post-Code). 

In the code approved panel, the man's head has been completely removed, but his dialogue remains; "I...love... you, baby!" 

One might well ask, "Where's the guy?" 

For "those who know how to look", the answer is obvious...  

pre-post-code-harvey_b.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
improved image

20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The CCA's ham-handed approach to censorship is perhaps nowhere better illustrated than in this before-and-after comparison.  The panel on the left appeared in Harvey's Teen-Age Brides #5 (published before the Code), and the panel on the right is from the reprint in Teen Bride-to-Be Romances #20 (published post-Code). 

In the code approved panel, the man's head has been completely removed, but his dialogue remains; "I...love... you, baby!" 

One might well ask, "Where's the guy?" 

For "those who know how to look", the answer is obvious...  

pre-post-code-harvey_b.jpg

That's similar to Steranko's Nick Fury where the censored panels may be more risque than the uncensored panels. 

41 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

That's similar to Steranko's Nick Fury where the censored panels may be more risque than the uncensored panels. 

Yes, you're referring to the panel of Fury getting friendly with a woman, which the CCA replaced with a close-up of his gun in a holster draped over a chair.  Steranko felt the gun in the tight-fitting holster was a much more potent sexual metaphor than what he'd intended. 

Steranko talked about that in one of the comic book documentaries... I'm thinking "Comicbook Confidential"...(?) 

Steranko_NickFury_Val.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

Just now, comicnoir said:

I only had a tracking bid in on it.  I thought it might go higher.  Perhaps it would have in one of their Signature Auctions.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Yes, you're referring to the panel of Fury getting friendly with a woman, which the CCA replaced with a close-up of his gun in a holster draped over a chair.  Steranko felt the gun in the tight-fitting holster was a much more potent sexual metaphor than what he'd intended. 

Steranko talked about that in one of the comic book documentaries... I'm thinking "Comicbook Confidential"...(?) 

Steranko_NickFury_Val.jpg

Yes, that is it.

I have some pre and post code Canteen Kate scans I should post. The censors were pretty heavy handed there if I remember correctly. 

11 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Yes, that is it.

I have some pre and post code Canteen Kate scans I should post. The censors were pretty heavy handed there if I remember correctly. 

Do you have any more examples where the CCA actually made things worse with their meddling?    lol

Well after numerous attempts over my time here of unsuccessful WTB threads, I finally got a bite :bigsmile:: Heart Throbs #46, one of Bakers best Quality covers (as unlike what is usually the case with some of the Quality covers, the baker girl maintains her instantly recognizable 'Baker Face'). On another note, it's almost a twist on the daydream cover of Teen-Age Romances #43. Except here the woman has manifested her fantasy into a sculpted dream suitor, much to the disappointment of the guy who you know really wants to be the object of her affections. Classic Romance stuff. Thank you Joanne :foryou:extremely happy to get your under copy

Heart Throbs #46.jpg

17 hours ago, sagii said:

Well after numerous attempts over my time here of unsuccessful WTB threads, I finally got a bite :bigsmile:: Heart Throbs #46, one of Bakers best Quality covers (as unlike what is usually the case with some of the Quality covers, the baker girl maintains her instantly recognizable 'Baker Face'). On another note, it's almost a twist on the daydream cover of Teen-Age Romances #43. Except here the woman has manifested her fantasy into a sculpted dream suitor, much to the disappointment of the guy who you know really wants to be the object of her affections. Classic Romance stuff. Thank you Joanne :foryou:extremely happy to get your under copy

Heart Throbs #46.jpg

Yay!!! 

9 hours ago, Silver said:

Been wanting to own a Baker book for awhile, finally snagged one:

C1AF6D69-64E4-49D4-92BC-577B82D9DC12.jpeg

Very nice!  I saw that on Hake's.  I thought you got it at a good price.  Tied for highest on the census.