• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

Just a note that somewhat bizarrely, GCD, credits the story "Unlucky Love" (actual title "Unlucky in Love") in True-to-Life Romances 16 to Baker, albeit with a "?" I just got a copy and was looking at the story.  Definitely not Baker.  Doesn't look remotely like his work and, so far as I know, he wasn't doing work for Star Publications in 1953 when that issue was published. Not sure what the person who added the tentative attribution was thinking. 

I recently got a copy of Ghostly Weird Stories 123 and noticed an interior story looked like Baker art or Iger studio with Baker...pencils? inks? I looked it up on gcd and comicbookplus and found it was a reprint of a story in Jo-Jo 24 where the art was credited to "Matt Baker?" I know this issue is not mentioned in the Art of Glamour but that leads me to wonder, how many other issues feature Baker reprints in something like a horror title where he didn't typically contribute? Or is this just another Iger studio production where Baker had some input but the extent is not clear?

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

I recently got a copy of Ghostly Weird Stories 123 and noticed an interior story looked like Baker art or Iger studio with Baker...pencils? inks? I looked it up on gcd and comicbookplus and found it was a reprint of a story in Jo-Jo 24 where the art was credited to "Matt Baker?" I know this issue is not mentioned in the Art of Glamour but that leads me to wonder, how many other issues feature Baker reprints in something like a horror title where he didn't typically contribute? Or is this just another Iger studio production where Baker had some input but the extent is not clear?

J.V., Jr. was pretty thorough, I think, in tracking down Baker reprints, although he certainly could have missed some.  The Jo-Jo 24 story probably falls into the Iger Shop no-man's land.

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The covers to TAR 26 and 27 are usually credited to Baker and both look painted to me.  

The Art of Glamour says no.

Check again, I think they do credit both of those covers to Baker