• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Very few of my Pictorial Romances are slabbed, but here's a highest graded. 

Been thinking of pressing this. Very good upgrade potential.

pictorial romances 5.jpg

Sensational copy of a tough book.

21 hours ago, sacentaur said:

That's a great copy!

Always loved this particular issue, I was fortunate to upgrade recently to a decent copy with strong colors (but noticeably mis-cut, unfortunately).

b8b9a405-8dec-4251-b322-eda68d8405f1_zps

I'd trade the bright colors and general presentation of this copy for the slight miscut any day.

17 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Don't forget your photocovers, boys. :preach:

Campy, not trampy.

Teen-Age%20Romances07f_zpsvf55m16y.jpg

This one is my fav photo cover with good old Norma Jean.  Long-time readers of this thread may remember that when I bought this copy raw it resembled an accordion.

866c824f-0cac-4634-9789-ce6640b07150_zps

22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My only Church Baker.

KGrHqFHJCkFHmpV6qBR7-01wiY60_57_zps8d0bf

It's interesting that my copy of WR7 also has that brownish bleed-through onto the cover.  I've seen a few of these with that issue.

My copy also has the wrong label.  Book is actually Blue Ribbon Comics 4.

1173788015a_zps073446bf.jpg

This WAS my undercopy until I realized it's not a Blue Ribbon #4.  Superior Comics - Diary Secrets #2:

Diary Secrets 2.JPG

5 minutes ago, Yorick said:

This WAS my undercopy until I realized it's not a Blue Ribbon #4.  Superior Comics - Diary Secrets #2:

Diary Secrets 2.JPG

Canadian Edition St. Johns are extremely rare, and worth collecting for that reason alone, imo.

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Canadian Edition St. Johns are extremely rare, and worth collecting for that reason alone, imo.

The Australian reprints looked interesting, but the poor reproduction of the cover art kept me from going after those.  I like the lighter color on this Canadian.  You get to see more Baker line work!

26 minutes ago, Yorick said:

My only Church Baker.

KGrHqFHJCkFHmpV6qBR7-01wiY60_57_zps8d0bf

It's interesting that my copy of WR7 also has that brownish bleed-through onto the cover.  I've seen a few of these with that issue.

Characteristic St John staining.  It's on a lot of their books. Caused I imagine by the inferior paper or inks or both he was using.

At one point, CGC seemed not to downgrade for it, apparently considering it a production defect.  Now, unfortunately, I believe they do.  I'm not sure that copy would hold its 8.0 grade on a straight resubmit. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Characteristic St John staining.  It's on a lot of their books. Caused I imagine by the inferior paper or inks or both he was using.

At one point, CGC seemed not to downgrade for it, apparently considering it a production defect.  Now, unfortunately, I believe they do.  I'm not sure that copy would hold its 8.0 grade on a straight resubmit. 

Some joker colored a tiny color break on the red top banner "love diary of a g-girl" on mine.  Sometimes I just wish CGC would get rid of the purple label and include restoration as a side-note or just downgrade the book as if the damage was visible.

This is a weird one- I have no idea how to grade it... (I'm open to suggestions)... the front cover is very high grade... but look at what has been chewed off the spine by a bunch of silverfish with very selective appetites... only the white paint has been eaten, and just off the surface, down to the glue... not down to the paper. 

PictorialRomances18Ja_zpsc717289c.jpg

PictorialRomances18Jc_zpsa66e16be.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

Granted, Baker covers are great but there's something about the aesthetics of the St John cover logos and graphics that enhance the desirability. Well, for me anyway. Not that I own any of them lol  :frown: Nice to look at though