• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,319 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BakerFanOne said:

Beautiful copy with the dark blue color.  Wow and wow!

Question for BakerFanOne .................. how did it all begin for you ? The amassing of such a notable collection of Baker cornerpieces ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Question for BakerFanOne .................. how did it all begin for you ? The amassing of such a notable collection of Baker cornerpieces ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Like most of the folks here, just loved Bakers covers for years.  First noticed him from Overstreet 8 with his Phantom Lady 17  classic cover.  Then moved onto Seven Seas and finally  onto St. John romance.  Like most people, not picky on condition, just bought any copy I could find.  It might surprise some people but Baker was just as hard to find 25 years ago for me as it is today.  Of course, it was a lot more cost effective back then.  

Edited by BakerFanOne

2 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

Like most of the folks here, just loved Bakers covers for years.  First noticed him from Overstreet 8 with his Phantom Lady 17  classic cover.  Then moved onto Seven Seas and finally  onto St. John romance.  Like most people, not picky on condition, just bought any copy I could find.  It might surprise some people but Baker was just as hard to find 25 years ago for me as it is today.  Of course, it was a lot more cost effective back then.  

Rising prices are definitely a two-edged sword.  You have to pay higher prices as a buyer (that edge is definitely sharp! :) ), but the high prices also cause more copies to come to market.  In particular, I think more dealers have an eye out for romance in general, and Baker in particular, than was true a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Stretching to call this "romance", although there is a hint of it in the Baker story.  Still, a VERY nice pickup at the LCS today:

Fightin'_Marines_15.jpg

Sweet copy!  I've been looking for a nice copy of this book for years.

12 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
21 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Stretching to call this "romance", although there is a hint of it in the Baker story.  Still, a VERY nice pickup at the LCS today:

Fightin'_Marines_15.jpg

Sweet copy!  I've been looking for a nice copy of this book for years.

Definitely a toughie.  Maybe the toughest in the run.

Speaking of tough.  I've been looking for a copy of this one for years ... in any condition.  And any condition about describes this copy!  Very happy to get even a beater copy because after this, I'm down to just one last Baker St John romance book to have the complete set.  Many thanks to a boardie for alerting me that this copy had popped up on a dealer's site.

cbd26e3f-bd2c-4540-9ff4-ace80d8e9d8e_zpsg5zvw8xj.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Definitely a toughie.  Maybe the toughest in the run.

It's got a few flaws that would bring down the technical grade, in addition to the obvious slight miscut where the bottom is about 1/4 inch narrower than the top, there's a slight dust shadow and a 1/3 inch tear on the back cover.

It's still a very nice looking copy, I think.  And I grabbed it on pure impulse because of the Baker cover, and only realized when I got home it was the 1st issue.  Based on what I paid for it, I'm pretty sure the dealer thought it was the later #15 as well..

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

It's got a few flaws that would bring down the technical grade, in addition to the obvious slight miscut where the bottom is about 1/4 inch narrower than the top, there's a slight dust shadow and a 1/3 inch tear on the back cover.

It's still a very nice looking copy, I think.  And I grabbed it on pure impulse because of the Baker cover, and only realized when I got home it was the 1st issue.  Based on what I paid for it, I'm pretty sure the dealer thought it was the later #15 as well..

Definitely a nice pickup despite the flaws.  Top graded is only a 5.0.  I don't have any copy at all.

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Speaking of tough.  I've been looking for a copy of this one for years ... in any condition.  And any condition about describes this copy!  Very happy to get even a beater copy because after this, I'm down to just one last Baker St John romance book to have the complete set.  Many thanks to a boardie for alerting me that this copy had popped up on a dealer's site.

Congrats Tony! When I hear about something like this I am nervous while adding it to the cart that it will Sell before I pay for it.  

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

When you need them take it any way you can for we may never see it again. :headbang:

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Fightin'_Marines_15.jpg

Is this the first Canteen Kate?

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, what is the last St John you need?  Maybe one of us can help...

I submitted this TAR25 myself.  I was thinking it would be at least a 7.0 (was kinda expecting an 8.0).  I guess I suck at grading.

Teen-Age Romances 25.JPG