• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,370 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I've held onto this one because I like the colors so much: 

cl27_2016a.jpg

Nice!  That's sort of the middle-ground between the two I posted.  I was considering selling mine, but I'm with you in the "holding pattern"!  One can't have enough copies of this issue.

On 6/9/2017 at 4:45 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yeah and I don't want to lighten them up because that makes them lose the color depth. Oh well. I am beginning to think pictures at that perfect angle where you avoid the glare are better than scans. (shrug)

Just take them out of the slabs and scan them.  Use the editing controls on the scanner to match the original color.  :baiting:

18 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I like this.  Crippen   

IMG_4997.jpg

When there was about 30 seconds left with no bids, I thought I would win it for sure!  This is only the second one I've seen for sale.

I totally read it as a BIN when I first saw it. :facepalm:

Could have been changed, but was probably just my deteriorating mind playing tricks on me.

Sheth Shay is the seller - I've bought stuff off him going back to his Continental auctions in the CBG in the mid 90s. Nice guy, he even sent me a book on spec once back then. 

26 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I totally read it as a BIN when I first saw it. :facepalm:

Could have been changed, but was probably just my deteriorating mind playing tricks on me.

Sheth Shay is the seller - I've bought stuff off him going back to his Continental auctions in the CBG in the mid 90s. Nice guy, he even sent me a book on spec once back then. 

Ahh, CBG. I so loved those. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

14 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Iirc, that guy sold me a certain highest graded Cinderella Love #15 (9.0), many, many years ago... 

cl15_zpsb00bbb00.jpg

Baker at the peak of his powers...  Cinderella Love is the BEST!

14 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Iirc, that guy sold me a certain highest graded Cinderella Love #15 (9.0), many, many years ago... 

cl15_zpsb00bbb00.jpg

That copy is a beaut and a half! 

15 hours ago, rjpb said:

Nobody is grabbing this. A bit of a miscut, but seems priced okay from what little I know of Baker books.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARTIME-ROMANCES-11-CGC-5-5-Sleazy-Baker-C-A-1952-/352096285053?hash=item51fa92f17d:g:qVwAAOSw~rpZTXI6

When Baker draws a dapper fellow in a sports jacket and a bow tie (tiny pic at the bottom), I tend to think he's drawing (a white version of) himself. 

7 hours ago, Yorick said:

Nobody wants to buy that Going Steady 14 in 3.0 for $800?!!

Wait until you see what the slabbed 4.0 went for on ComicLink last night. Maybe the creases didn't help, but ouch. Seems way low.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgoing%2Bsteady%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1183004&id=1183004