• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

...and a slabbed 4.0 of this one recently went for $1600., right here on the boards???  Again, yikes. 

tlp9_pb.jpg

I think that's one of the toughest Bakers.  Only three copies on the census with the one that sold here being the topper.  I have a 4.0 in the bad guys' slab.  Your copy is the best I can recall seeing.

Over three years ago I paid more than $500 for a raggedy raw copy on eBay listed by the OP herself.  Alas, it came back from CGC restored.

Baker books (especially romance) seem ON FIRE lately. There have been several sale threads in the past week or so offering Baker books at what I consider pretty nose bleed prices. But, what do I know, they have been selling. Don't get me wrong, I have loved Baker art for years but they are pretty un-readable "love books" for gosh sakes. As much as I love his art, I'm pretty much getting squeezed out of them now.   :sorry:

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Baker books (especially romance) seem ON FIRE lately. There have been several sale threads in the past week or so offering Baker books at what I consider pretty nose bleed prices. But, what do I know, they have been selling. Don't get me wrong, I have loved Baker art for years but they are pretty un-readable "love books" for gosh sakes. As much as I love his art, I'm pretty much getting squeezed out of them now.   :sorry:

So am I.  If I had to start over again, I'd never be able to afford the books I've collected over the past 15 years.  And there are still quite a few issues I'd love to finally get (and in decent shape), but every year, prices are just getting farther and farther out of reach. 

I'm just so glad I started when I did.  

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think that's one of the toughest Bakers.  Only three copies on the census with the one that sold here being the topper.  I have a 4.0 in the bad guys' slab.  Your copy is the best I can recall seeing.

Over three years ago I paid more than $500 for a raggedy raw copy on eBay listed by the OP herself.  Alas, it came back from CGC restored.

Yeah, but "only three copies on the census" describes a great many of the St. John romance.  I think that's more a reflection of the scarcity of these books.  Like my TLP 9, there are probably more than a few raw copies still out there that would top the census, if submitted.   

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:
38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, but "only three copies on the census" describes a great many of the St. John romance.  I think that's more a reflection of the scarcity of these books.  Like my TLP 9, there are probably more than a few raw copies still out there that would top the census, if submitted.   

You may well be right, but I think I've only seen three copies for sale in the past four years -- the one on the boards, the raw eBay copy, and the bad guys' copy.  And I can't recall anyone posting a copy as nice as yours to this thread.  So, I think it genuinely is a very tough book.  Of the non-one-shot issues, I think it has to be top five in difficulty.

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You may well be right, but I think I've only seen three copies for sale in the past four years -- the one on the boards, the raw eBay copy, and the bad guys' copy.  And I can't recall anyone posting a copy as nice as yours to this thread.  So, I think it genuinely is a very tough book.  Of the non-one-shot issues, I think it has to be top five in difficulty.

There's another potential poll topic (if someone can ever figure out how to set one up): "Top Ten Scarcest Baker Romance Issues".  Of course, we still need to do "Top Ten Best Baker Covers", which has been debated to tears but never actually enacted...  

Anyone...?   :baiting: 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

So am I.  If I had to start over again, I'd never be able to afford the books I've collected over the past 15 years.  And there are still quite a few issues I'd love to finally get (and in decent shape), but every year, prices are just getting farther and farther out of reach. 

I'm just so glad I started when I did.  

This is the trend across the board for quality Golden Age though, not just Baker. L.B. Cole covers, classic horror, early Fox books with good covers, hard to find GGA, war MLJs etc. 

I can't afford my own collection anymore!

Edited by october

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

There's another potential poll topic (if someone can ever figure out how to set one up): "Top Ten Scarcest Baker Romance Issues".  Of course, we still need to do "Top Ten Best Baker Covers", which has been debated to tears but never actually enacted...  

Are those debates buried in this and/or other threads somewhere or are there any good old discussion threads someone can link for me?

I'd also be interested to see a debate/ discussion of which Bakers people actually think are Bakers particularly with his pre St John work.  I know the authors of Art of Glamour have their listing but I'm not sure I entirely agree with it.

52 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Are those debates buried in this and/or other threads somewhere or are there any good old discussion threads someone can link for me?

I'd also be interested to see a debate/ discussion of which Bakers people actually think are Bakers particularly with his pre St John work.  I know the authors of Art of Glamour have their listing but I'm not sure I entirely agree with it.

There is a thread entitled "Baker's Best Covers (Top 10)" which was started earlier this year but eventually petered out.  However, we did hammer out a good list of about 30 to 40 candidates, the idea being that people would vote for 10 books from that list, and the ranking of the "top ten" would naturally result from the number of votes each book received.  I still think it's a good idea, we just need someone tech savvy who'd know how to set it up.  

(Edit: I just went and gave that thread a bump.) 

Edited by 29dukedog
Updated

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Interest in LB Cole was heating up around the period of his 1981 PG cover issue. I seem to remember the interest in Matt Baker books being shortly behind Cole (say late 80's or early 90's at the latest). I got into Baker when I first saw Teenage Romances #13 reproduced in colour in one of the old Overstreets. That's a lot of time now for books to disappear deep into collections. I'd say Cole and Baker collectors now and back years ago are among the most passionate collectors out there. You want to know why prices are high today it's because what took some time in the 1990's to track down certain books is almost mission impossible today if you want them in grade. 

I'm currently trying to get a friend to join up here and start scanning his Baker collection (among other things). Newsstand fresh...:cloud9:

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I'm currently trying to get a friend to join up here and start scanning his Baker collection (among other things). Newsstand fresh...:cloud9:

We'd love to see some new books!  Hope you can make it happen.  :wishluck:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sqeggs: did you pick up the CBCS copy on Comiclink?  Highest graded copy I've seen for sale....  I should have bid higher, but I will be happy to learn that I lost to you.

TLP9 is not that rare, but it IS rare in mid grade or higher.  It is one of my favorite covers and I have several copies.  About a year ago I submitted my best copy (at that time) for grading and it came back a 2.0.  I have a newly obtained copy in Sarasota right now that I hope will validate Dukedog's prediction...  we shall see.

True Love Pictorial 9.JPG

28 minutes ago, Yorick said:

TLP9 is not that rare, but it IS rare in mid grade or higher.

That's probably the best way to put it. 

30 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have a newly obtained copy in Sarasota right now that I hope will validate Dukedog's prediction...  we shall see.

Should my copy and I worry about being out-graded?  

Just now, 29dukedog said:

That's probably the best way to put it. 

Should my copy and I worry about being out-graded?  

Probably not, but I have my fingers crossed.  It certainly will not present as nicely as yours.  How harsh do you think CGC will be on a factory miscut?

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

Probably not, but I have my fingers crossed.  It certainly will not present as nicely as yours.  How harsh do you think CGC will be on a factory miscut?

That's a question best answered by someone with much more CGC experience than I have.  

12 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
15 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That's a question best answered by someone with much more CGC experience than I have.  

Here's an example where they weren't too harsh on a really bad miscut.

dia420a_zps5a33aa9f-1_zps61c515cc.jpg