• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The DS 30 on Heritage sold for a strong price -- $2,390.  Only a 4.5, but the highest graded copy of a very tough book.

It sold for almost as much as the DS 17 in 7.5, with pen scribbling.

Yeah, that DS 17 was my copy. I own the other 7.5, so I thought I would sell this one off.  Clearly the market dinged that book for the scribbling more than the CGC graders did. As a group, those books are pretty nice and look as if she read them only once and didn't actually lend them to the friends whose names she wrote on the covers.  

On 2/24/2018 at 3:38 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, that DS 17 was my copy. I own the other 7.5, so I thought I would sell this one off.  Clearly the market dinged that book for the scribbling more than the CGC graders did. As a group, those books are pretty nice and look as if she read them only once and didn't actually lend them to the friends whose names she wrote on the covers.  

I think helped out your DS17 quite a bit. Every time I got outbid past $1800 or so the bidding would stop until I bid again. I wanted the book but whoever won wanted it more.

While I usually like to celebrate my el-cheapo finds, I must admit that occasionally I go bananas....picked up these 2 recently...and probably increased the value of the Baker babe non-romance portfolios of everyone on the boards in the process, so...you're all welcome.  Particularly happy with the AGS 15, its the highest graded Baker in my collection now and one that I really love.

ags15vf.jpg

approved12finepluscgc.jpg

45 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

Two tough books to be sure, which one do you prefer (and why)? Note: images are from GCD

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

My guess is that people's choice here will be PR 17 because it's a very strong GGA cover, but I vote for PR 18.  I like it when Baker does something different -- not that I don't love most of his straight romance covers, as well!  Clearly, when a comic is called Pictorial Romances and is aimed at primarily an audience of teenage girls, a domestic scene gone seriously wrong is about the last thing you might expect for a cover.  But I think he does a great job with it.

In particular, the expression on the woman is perfect.  There she is struggling to deal with a crying baby, while her enraged husband is about to fly the coop.  She seems scared, worried, and lost. 

32 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

I think helped out your DS17 quite a bit. Every time I got outbid past $1800 or so the bidding would stop until I bid again. I wanted the book but whoever won wanted it more.

I thank you and my children thank you! :foryou:

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

Two tough books to be sure, which one do you prefer (and why)? Note: images are from GCD

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

2 of the best covers ever. The second one is atypical and I happen to like it a lot. Shows how great Baker was with body language and other subtle details. The 17 is more erotic, in a way we've seen before, and it is note perfect, but the angry domestic scene is classic. It has pathos and shows the other side of love. You couldn't have picked better examples of his genius.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

Oh, easy for me. I go #17 hands down. #18 although a beautiful cover, is very disturbing to me. As a matter of fact, I have never purchased a copy because of it. 

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

While I usually like to celebrate my el-cheapo finds, I must admit that occasionally I go bananas....picked up these 2 recently...and probably increased the value of the Baker babe non-romance portfolios of everyone on the boards in the process, so...you're all welcome.  Particularly happy with the AGS 15, its the highest graded Baker in my collection now and one that I really love.

ags15vf.jpg

Those are both great books.  The only Baker zombie cover?  And then the ripped dress... scary sexy!

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

ags15vf.jpg

Gorgeous copies!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:
5 hours ago, sacentaur said:

PR 17 vs. PR 18

PR 17.jpg

PR18.jpg

Oh, easy for me. I go #17 hands down. #18 although a beautiful cover, is very disturbing to me. As a matter of fact, I have never purchased a copy because of it. 

More so than those EC covers you love?  At least he's not coming after her with an ax! :baiting:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

More so than those EC covers you love?  At least he's not coming after her with an ax! :baiting:

In a way, worse, he is deserting his kid. I can't imagine doing such a thing. One of the biggest problems in urban America right now. So many kids from broken homes getting into bad trouble because they lack the supervision , direction and love that they need. OK, off the soap box...

11 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I saw a Cinderella Love 29 sell on a thread, which inspired me to re-post mine.

cinderella love 29.jpeg

Post a group shot of those CLs!  Care to downgrade your 26?  :grin:

Last night on eBay a low grade copy of CL 27, w/ detached cover and missing centerfold, sold for $461.78.  I find this simply incredible.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-27-April-1955-St-John-Matt-Baker-Cover-Art-/132512477473?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=nTE0FMFJqCVBDLLCB4tf5gQdAOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    

5 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Last night on eBay a low grade copy of CL 27, w/ detached cover and missing centerfold, sold for $461.78.  I find this simply incredible.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-27-April-1955-St-John-Matt-Baker-Cover-Art-/132512477473?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=nTE0FMFJqCVBDLLCB4tf5gQdAOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    

Me too. IF I were to sell my Bakers (an I have no intention), ebay is where they would go. People have just gotton crazy on there. 

13 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

So a technical 0.5. Saw that auction, but thought it might even go higher, given the market.