• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,585 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I seriously thought about this one, too, but I already have a nice mid grade copy. 

Great pickup!  Glad it was you who won it.  (thumbsu 

tar19_page_B.jpg

I thought it might go higher than it did.  I thought it might be one of those "board books" that can take off in the late bidding.

Really sharp-eyed of you to have figured out which panel Giordano was swiping. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I thought it might go higher than it did.  I thought it might be one of those "board books" that can take off in the late bidding.

I think Joanna gets the credit for spotting this one.  

Just now, 29dukedog said:
4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think Joanna gets the credit for spotting this one.

Right!  I knew it was somebody other than me! :)

44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't know whether anyone responded to this, but that's a tough book.  If it presents well, I could see it doing as much as $1,500.  With two determined bidders, who knows because the book doesn't come up for sale often.  A ragged VG would go for less, particularly if the cover image is significantly marred.

No real reply; the seller saw the eBay sale of a 1.5-ish for $500 so he wants the moon for his copy. I didn't get a close look at it but did notice a water stain at the top-right corner; taking a guess on VG overall but presenting nicely. I may be able to pry it loose from him but wondering what is too much.

14 minutes ago, manetteska said:

No real reply; the seller saw the eBay sale of a 1.5-ish for $500 so he wants the moon for his copy. I didn't get a close look at it but did notice a water stain at the top-right corner; taking a guess on VG overall but presenting nicely. I may be able to pry it loose from him but wondering what is too much.

You may want to bear in mind that CGC really hammers water stains these days. So, an otherwise 4.0 with a water stain may come back as a 3.0, maybe even lower if the stain is large and noticeable. 

53 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think it's badly overgraded.  If you are looking at the upper rh corner, I think that's just a bit of color loss that occurred in the printing process. You can kind of see it on my copy, although it's in a slightly different spot.  

8376371f-1d70-4c9e-a5ea-a7f7d1e85aa5_zpsglospzbq.JPG

I was talking about the upper left corner ding...ya know, I DO know the difference between color loss and a ding...that might be hard to believe, but it's true...:acclaim:

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I was talking about the upper left corner ding...ya know, I DO know the difference between color loss and a ding...that might be hard to believe, but it's true...:acclaim:

Sorry, but we'll need better evidence than your bald assertion of this unlikely claim. :taptaptap:

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You may want to bear in mind that CGC really hammers water stains these days. So, an otherwise 4.0 with a water stain may come back as a 3.0, maybe even lower if the stain is large and noticeable. 

I was putting at a VG with the stain, but I get what you're saying. Perhaps at the very least he'll let me take some pics to fawn over.

30 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Better be careful criticizing that seller here.  He's one of us...and yes, he always wants the moon...but it's better to shoot for the stars and hit the moon, than to shoot for the lamp post and hit the mud puddle...lol

26 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Better be careful criticizing that seller here.  He's one of us...and yes, he always wants the moon...but it's better to shoot for the stars and hit the moon, than to shoot for the lamp post and hit the mud puddle...lol

I think we are talking about different sellers/items. The eBay copy was an auction by a board member and it sold for what it was bid up to. I am not criticizing him at all.

There is another copy, definitely not a board member, who is basing his price on that auction. His price seems high, but I don't know due to scarcity of data.

While we're on the topic, however, there is definitely an eBay seller who always shows up on my searches with high prices *and* off grading...but I guess that's why the items are still there.

2 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I think we are talking about different sellers/items. The eBay copy was an auction by a board member and it sold for what it was bid up to. I am not criticizing him at all.

There is another copy, definitely not a board member, who is basing his price on that auction. His price seems high, but I don't know due to scarcity of data.

While we're on the topic, however, there is definitely an eBay seller who always shows up on my searches with high prices *and* off grading...but I guess that's why the items are still there.

I just followed the link and it went to a kaizerdog item, so I thought you were talking about him... (shrug)

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I just followed the link and it went to a kaizerdog item, so I thought you were talking about him... (shrug)

Stupid site and their tweaks; this one *should* go directly to the item, but who knows anymore:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/332608027114?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Or search Going Steady 11 under sold items. (Or via my original link, click the blue "listing" hyperlink)

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Stupid site and their tweaks; this one *should* go directly to the item, but who knows anymore:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/332608027114?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Or search Going Steady 11 under sold items. (Or via my original link, click the blue "listing" hyperlink)

I'm feeling better and better about the value of my Bakers...:acclaim:Now, if I could just bring myself to sell some of them...:cry: