• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Can't we all just get along.

It's clear to me that

a) AF15's are desireable

b) AF15's trade with frequency

c) AF15's go up in value

d) Rick sells alot of AF15 and claims to know nothing about selling

e) Spiderman and Butthurt appear in the same sentence an awful lot.

Quad Erat Demonstratum.

A- correct

B-correct

C-correct

D-I know plenty about selling (never said I didn't lol ) I'm just not a very good salesman in the traditional car salesman stereotype ;)

E-ikr

Veni, vidi, vici

How many copies of this exist?

824 Universal Graded Copies

19 Qualified Graded Copies

37 Sig Series Graded Copies

405 Restored Graded Copies

1285 Total Graded Copies

Plus the countless raw copies out there.

I'm taking my time reading literally every post in this thread (gonna take me a while, obviously, with 700+ pages), but it's interesting to note that since this post was made a few years ago the numbers have increased quite a bit across the board for the AF 15 - see below:

Title

Amazing Fantasy

1247 Universal Graded Copies (an approximate 33% increase from the 824 before)

31 Qualified Graded Copies (an approximate 50% increase from the 19 before)

127 Sig Series Graded Copies (an approximate 200% increase from the 37 before)

565 Restored Graded Copies (an approximate 25% increase from the 405 before)

1970 Total Graded Copies (an approximate 33% increase overall in the time since the above original post was made when there were only 1285 total copies). The biggest area of graded copies to increase was the Sig Series followed by the Universal (if we're talking percentage-wise). If we look at overall #'s the Universal #'s increase takes the cake.

Just some interesting thoughts...these #'s are taken from the registry census as of 2PM on 7/21/13. The original post was made on 1/8/10. That means these #'s have increased dramatically in around 3 and a half years.

Census will never be fully accurate due to resubs but it is a close representation of the number of slabbed copies

Rick, what's your data source for this statement. I've pushed back on it before, as my understanding is that plenty of people submit books without the label - even if 10% of submissions fit this description (and my sense is that's a low estimate), the effect on the census is substantial (because it compounds over time).

Census will never be fully accurate due to resubs but it is a close representation of the number of slabbed copies

Rick, what's your data source for this statement. I've pushed back on it before, as my understanding is that plenty of people submit books without the label - even if 10% of submissions fit this description (and my sense is that's a low estimate), the effect on the census is substantial (because it compounds over time).

I think 10% is about right. That's "close" to me (thumbs u

Keep in mind there is a fair % that crack slabs too. So it averages out to some degree +/- 10% seems likely

Here is one thing I now know about AF 15's in any grade.

Every year you wait to pick up a copy for the more it will cost you.

My copy only would have cost me $1600-$1800 back in 2003.

2013 I paid 6K for my 3.0 and that was under retail by a little bit.

Last 3.0 just sold for $7600 two weeks later.

You all know me I am very out spoken, but unlike Walking Dead #1 this book I just don't see going down ever. It may flatten out for a year or so, but zero chance of this happening below.

2013 CGC 3.0 Year average = $6500

2015 CGC 3.0 Year Average = $5500 :sorry: no

You all know me I am very out spoken, but unlike Walking Dead #1 this book I just don't see going down ever. It may flatten out for a year or so, but zero chance of this happening below.

^^

I've said before, it's the 3rd biggest book in the entire hobby.

If it was even close to Action #1 or Tec 27 in age (assuming the supply reflected a similar drop off due to age) , it would give them both a good run for their money.

I wish I had bought one when I first got back in the hobby in 2002. I went to B'more that year and spent about $800 or so on books. There were some cool ones, for sure, but I would've been better off putting that money towards one AF#15 instead.

Keep in mind there is a fair % that crack slabs too. So it averages out to some degree +/- 10% seems likely

I think the number might be higher than 10%. I have personally owned about 10 slabbed AF15s of which I cracked 5 out of the slab to try to improve the grade or have better resto done, or have resto removal.

This is exactly why I am having a hard time finding a reading copy. I am going to purchase a restored reading copy as they at least present nicely and I don't have to spend 6k on a low grade.

I think the number might be higher than 10%. I have personally owned about 10 slabbed AF15s of which I cracked 5 out of the slab to try to improve the grade or have better resto done, or have resto removal.

Unfortunately, I don't believe 10% is close, not in a market as thinly traded as key books. And if it's bigger than 10%, well then......

No real way to fix it (that I can think of anyways). Maybe offering people money for all old labels that they held onto (and pray they didn't actually pitch them)......fa chance, any which way.

JD

Joey

Unfortunately, I don't believe 10% is close, not in a market as thinly traded as key books. And if it's bigger than 10%, well then......

No real way to fix it (that I can think of anyways). Maybe offering people money for all old labels that they held onto (and pray they didn't actually pitch them)......fa chance, any which way.

JD

Joey

So how "over-inflated" are we talking here? 15%...25%...?

(FYI - I find all types of unsubstantiated speculation fun! :baiting: )

JD

Joey

So how "over-inflated" are we talking here? 15%...25%...?

(FYI - I find all types of unsubstantiated speculation fun! :baiting: )

Let's start an inquisition....

1) Have you have ever cracked an AF15 out of a case?

2) If so, how many?

I'll start. 5 resubs.

I personally know of guys that never handed in labels and submitted hundreds (if not thousands) of high end books. So if we were to isolate the market of books which trade at over $2,500 let's say, we're talking about a potentially meaningful subset which are resubs adding to the census.

This is not unfounded/unsubstantiated - the only part we're truly speculating as to is the volume

Joey

I personally know of guys that never handed in labels and submitted hundreds (if not thousands) of high end books. So if we were to isolate the market of books which trade at over $2,500 let's say, we're talking about a potentially meaningful subset which are resubs adding to the census.

This is not unfounded/unsubstantiated - the only part we're truly speculating as to is the volume

Joey

Joking about the unsubstantiated part. :insane:

Your point makes sense and it complicates collecting high end well circulated books (AF15 I am looking at you).

However, as others have stated before, I don't understand the choice not to hand in a label. It just makes obtaining maximum value more difficult.

When you resubmit a book, why not just mail in the label? Are folks concerned that the CGC will not act in a ethical manner (in accordance with their process) and take the previous grade into account?

Joey

Joking about the unsubstantiated part. :insane:

Your point makes sense and it complicates collecting high end well circulated books (AF15 I am looking at you).

However, as others have stated before, I don't understand the choice not to hand in a label. It just makes obtaining maximum value more difficult.

When you resubmit a book, why not just mail in the label? Are folks concerned that the CGC will not act in a ethical manner (in accordance with their process) and take the previous grade into account?

My thinking has always been that I didn't want CGC graders to be influenced by any outside source, like a previous label. I want them to grade my comic like they're seeing it for the first time.

Maybe after the slabbed comic comes back to me I would be willing to send the label in.