• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Was just checking out Hisstank and they are reporting that IDW solicited an Artists Edition GI Joe book...

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

(W) Larry Hama (A) Herb Trimpe & Various (CA) Herb Trimpe

If you are a fan of classic 1980s G.I. JOE comic books, this is your holy grail! Complete stories from Issues #1, 2, 21 (Silent Interlude), 24, 26 (Origin of Snake Eyes), and G. I. JOE Yearbook #2 are all represented in this Artist’s Edition. Plus an amazing cover gallery, featuring many of the best covers in the run. Again, if you love G.I. JOE, this is the book you’ve been waiting for!

Item Code: APR160507

In Shops: 8/10/2016

SRP: PI

STL008014.jpg

If anyone out there has original art pages or covers they may be able to contribute to this book (especially from issues #1 & 2), feel free to drop me a line. I can help make sure they get to Scott Dunbier for this project.

Should be a great book and the ultimate book for G.I. Joe art collectors!

New GI Joe movie...and much, much more

Good news Joe fans...and fans of the 80's in general.

This looks fun and exciting.

You know I saw this a while back and I didn't believe it would happen, then this cover was announced:

GIJoeRAH230-covfog_zps4nmgwwn4.jpg

I'm just concerned it's a last ditch effort to keep the name alive...

New GI Joe movie...and much, much more

Good news Joe fans...and fans of the 80's in general.

This looks fun and exciting.

You know I saw this a while back and I didn't believe it would happen, then this cover was announced:

GIJoeRAH230-covfog_zps4nmgwwn4.jpg

I'm just concerned it's a last ditch effort to keep the name alive...

ROM Spaceknight. Thought he was lost in the ether of the ages but with Guardians of the Galaxy success who knows what can happen.

Well the series IMO does continue to pick up for a while after issue 50. It really is good for a long while. By my estimate if you wanted the rest of the run in graphic novel form you would might be looking at spending another $200 total. Although I have moved on to the more recent GI Joe series, which are great, I have not personally read the last 25 issues or so of the original series so I myself am looking forward to definitely picking up those books soon . So to make a lame answer short, yes but it is up to how much you are willing to spend. You can always stop when you want that way too. Enjoy!

I finally picked up the rest of the run...of course it will be some time before I get to it.

If anyone out there has original art pages or covers they may be able to contribute to this book (especially from issues #1 & 2), feel free to drop me a line. I can help make sure they get to Scott Dunbier for this project.

All of my pages are probably too late or inconsequential to the project managers. Only page I have that may be of interest to them is this one from the last issue of the Marvel run:

phAnvvxQ_1702152121411.jpg

All of my pages are probably too late or inconsequential to the project managers. Only page I have that may be of interest to them is this one from the last issue of the Marvel run:

Nice. I have managed to pick up a page here or there of inconsequential issues and a few from the original Special Missions run but nothing from issue 155!

Thanks for the offer. It's great to get offers of help from other collectors. This book will be limited to the stories mentioned in the press release along with some additional covers for the cover section. Focusing now on collecting scans of pages that would help complete issues #1 & 2,

Any updates in Joe land?

Joecon (the final one) seems to be a little late this year and occurs in about three weeks.

Hopefully there will be some big announcements.

Interesting that you mention there are now 74 copies of G.I. Joe #21 graded at 9.8. Looking way back at some posts in the first 20 pages of this thread, even in 2006 (six years after CGC opened it's doors) there were still zero 9.8 copies.

Interesting that you mention there are now 74 copies of G.I. Joe #21 graded at 9.8. Looking way back at some posts in the first 20 pages of this thread, even in 2006 (six years after CGC opened it's doors) there were still zero 9.8 copies.

I remember back in the red label days it seemed like 9.8's in general were incredibly tough, if not completely out of reach. I was trying to put together a run of the early Joe issues and 9.6's were fiercely pursued on eBay. Can't remember how much specifically but I recall issues in the early teens and 20's were up near $80-90 or more. IIRC when a few Silent Interludes did eventually hit 9.8 there was some muttering that they were pretty soft. It's possible CGC decided if they didn't loosen up a little on that issue, there would never be a 9.8, so they reconsidered. I only kept one of my red label 9.6's from back then (issue 23 :cloud9:) and I think the grade is probably correct, but I'd be curious to see some of the red label 9.6's on issue 21 compared with a current 9.8.

Has anyone here given the IDW "Silent Interlude 30 Year Anniversary" book a read? It has some great insights into the creation of the book. My only wish was that they delved more into the creation of the cover of the silent issue.

Since the cover is almost as iconic as the story I thought they could have covered that more. But it's a great read and I recommend it. Here's a link with info:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53217

Now you know! (thumbs u

I remember back in the red label days it seemed like 9.8's in general were incredibly tough, if not completely out of reach. I was trying to put together a run of the early Joe issues and 9.6's were fiercely pursued on eBay. Can't remember how much specifically but I recall issues in the early teens and 20's were up near $80-90 or more. IIRC when a few Silent Interludes did eventually hit 9.8 there was some muttering that they were pretty soft. It's possible CGC decided if they didn't loosen up a little on that issue, there would never be a 9.8, so they reconsidered. I only kept one of my red label 9.6's from back then (issue 23 :cloud9:) and I think the grade is probably correct, but I'd be curious to see some of the red label 9.6's on issue 21 compared with a current 9.8.

I would say they were pretty soft on this 9.8

I did think it had a chance but I really expected a 9.6. It had a small ding/crinkle at the top of the spine that was pressed out but there are very tiny color breaks in that crinkle and the spine just has the tiniest hint of tanning on the white spot. I thought 9.8 with ow pages at best but it got 9.8 white pages.

I really wish I had an idea of how many were newsstands. I'm guessing around 20 but I have nothing to base that off except the fact that all the graded first prints i saw on ebay were direct. Not just the 9.8's, all grades.

:EDIT:

Actually now i'm not seeing that tanning on the spine. Maybe that was on the 9.6 I got back or I imagined it...

Edited by SonOfWolF