• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would be surprised if the next 9.6 that came up went for less than $15k actually.  Those don't come up for sale much either and the 9.8 present in the sae auction certainly stole a lot of its thunder.  The "PQ" on the label was a non-factor.

-J.

PQ is always a factor, especially on copper/modern books.  If a copper/modern book has anything less than white pages, ,it will go less than what a white will go for (if wrap is the same). 

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Have we met?  If not, I should probably warn you I'm the last person you want to go down this rabbit hole with.  Chief.  (thumbsu

-J.

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

13 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

If you are going to say PQ isn't a factor with TMNT 1 you should probably come up with better comps than NM 87, 98, and 300. 

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

2 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

36 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

Good talk.  

-J.

Yeah, I can't imagine ow-white would be any difference in price specially on a book like TMNT 1's.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Good talk.  

-J.

I don't want to get into the weeds but I do follow TMNT #1 sales and will say that the rarity of the 1st prints does tend to diminish the price difference between OW/W and W page qualities. The lack of supply seems to make people just want a copy and the grade is the singular thing they give weight to, sometimes they don't even care about that as can be seen in the price bunching of the mid-grade copies. There is a limit most collectors can spend on this book and the little differences matter less.  It's an anomaly really.

That said, page quality does matter for almost every other copper book with larger print runs.  It makes sense because its a means of differentiation. Take NM 98 for example, search ebay sales for 9.8's, sort the direct, unsigned versions by price and you'll see that from $880 down to $750 are all WP.  OW/W only sell from $750 and down.  That's not a mistake, its because of the page quality.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

From what I’ve seen PQ doesn’t seem to make much of a difference on the 9.6 Auctions... but I suspect that it will in the future, something has to differentiate these near identical copies in the same grade.

When it came time to get a 9.6 copy a few years ago, I ignored all the ow-w ones.  I don’t think I paid more for white page copy... but i waited on one and am happy I did.

Well see how it plays out in the future... but I’ll bet there’s a lot of other people who have the same attitude I do about it.  If demand/number of people willing to pay big for these increases significantly I think white page copies will get a premium.

Astute move.  Some will have you think it doesn't matter.  Savvy buyers will always hold out for the best presenting copies (including PQ).  When it comes time to sell, you'll be rewarded. 

Well it does get interestinger and interestinger. The curious case of TMNT #1 9.8 with cert # 0950071001.  Now in preview mode on Heritage here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7187-14001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

So, the story goes that back on 4/1/2016 this beauty sold on Comic Connect for $27,222.00, and has been verified with CC. Then on 4/29/16, the ever-present nick_bridger apparently sold the same book on ebay for a final auction value of $24,100.00. To those unfamiliar he has had several 9.8's on ebay that either sell, or kinda-sorta sell or we're not really sure. It is a little odd how the book sells for 27K then he sells the same book for 3K cheaper a month later. Anyhow it's available again this time on HA, bidding starts on 4/20/18. No idea if he's the seller but HA is legit so this should be drama free for the winner.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:09 AM, GM8 said:

Well it does get interestinger and interestinger. The curious case of TMNT #1 9.8 with cert # 0950071001.  Now in preview mode on Heritage here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7187-14001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515#

So, the story goes that back on 4/1/2016 this beauty sold on Comic Connect for $27,222.00, and has been verified with CC. Then on 4/29/16, the ever-present nick_bridger apparently sold the same book on ebay for a final auction value of $24,100.00. To those unfamiliar he has had several 9.8's on ebay that either sell, or kinda-sorta sell or we're not really sure. It is a little odd how the book sells for 27K then he sells the same book for 3K cheaper a month later. Anyhow it's available again this time on HA, bidding starts on 4/20/18. No idea if he's the seller but HA is legit so this should be drama free for the winner.

Another opportunity for a 9.8 :)

19 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I love the internal sigs, and think you've hit the sweet spot with grade too...nice book! (thumbsu I'm a little jealous...I was trying to do the exact same thing you did last year (upgrade my 8.0 for a 9.0ish with internal sigs), but wasn't successful...doh!

I agree as well.  A nice round "9" (or higher!) makes me sleep so much better at night...on this book and silver age stuff.  Stick with it man!  I don't like selling my books outright and then trying to upgrade, because I fear I might not find be able to find a better copy.  After a few dozen tries, I finally found the right person and the right deal. My book, plus cash, for the upgrade.  Be persistent and stay patient! (thumbsu