• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, szav said:

GeriatricGangreneJujitsuGerbils1cgc98.jpg

44 minutes ago, szav said:

After all who handles garbage with care?

When I see your "beauty" of a book here in all its wonderful glory, it reminded me of exactly what was going through my mind in terms of "who in their frigging right mind would pay $300 smackers for that piece of garbage" when he handed me the TMNT 1 to take a look at.  :screwy:

Especially at a time when collectible in demand books like Hulk 181, ASM 121 & 122 were valued at only around $20 in the guide back then.  :takeit:  And yet, I then ended up paying $40 for the so-called Signed and Limited Edition of Miller's Dark Knight because I was a big fan of his brand of writing and artwork back then.  :luhv:   doh!

Then again, I guess I was never really much of an underground type of guy who I couldn't ever see myself paying something like $690K for this piece of Crumb art that sold at the end of last year in one of the HA Signature Auctions:  :whatthe:

Original Comic Art:Covers, Robert Crumb Your Hytone Comix #nn "Stoned Agin!" Inside Back Cover Original Art (Apex Novelties, 1971)....

I guess I am just not a connoisseur of the intricate details of finer art, but then again, I imagine it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, cyberjad1 said:

I have what I think is an interesting story. About 6 years ago I decided to get out of comics - it was just time to move one. I sold off all my high dollar stuff and broke up my top tier TMNT collection, along with selling off a lot of other stuff. From what I recall I just kept some of the less valuable things (at the time) that I liked, with one exception, a copy of TMNT #1 2nd print.

The #1 was kept because although it was raw, I have graded a lot of these and I am confident it's a 9.8. One day I planned to get it graded, but have just not gotten around to it. I liked keeping it also because I bought it from Mirage and it came from Peter's collection, which I have documented.

Yesterday, I asked on Facebook what those are going for these days and was shocked. So, I took a look in my old collection and stuff and thought I would see what I have still...

Turns out I have a run of books 2-10 that I had graded 9.8 from Peter's collection. I also have a copy of Raphael and Donatello. Also, I saved a copy of a #3 variant that is a 9.6 signed inside by Peter and Kevin - this was not from Peter's collection. I had forgotten about all this stuff after 6 years.

Anyways, I just kept some stuff I liked and it turns out I have a pretty OK TMNT collection still. Nice find yesterday after a challenging day.

Also, if any of my TMNT collector friends remember me from back when - this is Cyberjad - Hi! I will let you know I have not totally checked out over the past 6 years. During that time I had a child (priorities changed) and he has met Kevin twice. Kevin and his wife were way, way nicer than they had to be with him - GREAT PEOPLE!

Hello! @cyberjad1 @cyberjad as you can see by the tag, your old account is still here :) and after they boards migration of 2016, there was a link to merge old accounts, the ones that needed merging had a "1" at the end of the name as yours does. I can no longer find the "linky" to request merge, but I'm sure if you call or pm a mod, they'd be more than happy to help!

Anyway lol 

Glad to here that after a tough day, you were brought some Joy, and it sounds like you have the priorities straight, glad to hear TMNT is still bringing the FUN!!  ^^ 

:tink: 

On 6/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, lou_fine said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this statement here as I believe each of these auction houses have their own particular niche customer base.  hm

For example, I believe that Heritage clearly has the lead by far when it comes to the original art market.  Yet, when it comes to certain comic books such as Action 1 or the high deman pre-Robin 'Tec books, I believe CC tends to be the market maker in this area.  Now, if you are talking about CGC highest graded copies of more recent BA books (especially with links to movies and TV shows), I believe that CL tends to get the highest prices because that's where the CGC label collectors seems to hang around.   (thumbsu

I think in a lot of cases, it just happens to depend on your timing and also luck in terms of being able to get the right sets of eyeballs onto a particular book in an auction when it does come up for sale.  I still think the $90K TMNT 1 result was more of an outlier than anything else, which is kind of confirmed as HA was able to follow this sale up with one for only $52.8K a few months later.  Looks like CC was able to hit a slightly higher price point with their $59K BIN sale, although I still don't understand why the seller would want to take such a big hit on the book after paying $90K only several months earlier and also why he did not reconsign the book back with HA.  I guess his pocket might not have been as deep as initially thought.  (shrug)

You may be right about BA books and timing in general. I don't really follow other high-end books at CC or CL. But with regards to TMNT, if I had a high-end book I would absolutely sell it on Heritage. The two biggest sales to the upside were both there.

BTW: the CL 9.8 is now at $46K with reserve met! Someone is going to own this copy when the auction ends.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2020june%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DTurtles%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1404932&id=1404932&itemType=0

Also curious of the value of 9.8 #1 2nd prints for 2020/21

(Just annoyed with definite TMNT #1 9.8 & more than plausible Turtlemania Gold market manipulation past year and any lovely outliers that have come forth)

PS

GM8, thank-you for all the stats/facts you investigate, gather and provide to us in the TMNT forums🤘🏆

Edited by Icculus308win

On 6/26/2020 at 4:52 AM, GM8 said:

Well, it looks like it has gone up by just one more bid increment some 10 days later at it is now sitting at $48K with less than 20 hours remaining.  hm

I guess it might just hit the $50K mark, but not siure how much more it will get after that as I guess only time will tell as the clock winds down.  :taptaptap:

59 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

$58K 🔨 

Happy to see a pattern emit of the books actual value (imho at least) 

Yes, looks like it finished up at $58K or pretty much where we had expected it to (see below) based upon the last several sales, as detailed below:  (thumbsu

On 6/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, Spiderturtle said:

It appears that a 9.8 is more in the $50-$60k range

On 6/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, lou_fine said:

So, the timelime and venues for these 4 sales were:  1) $90K at HA in August 2019;  2) $52.8K at HA in November 2019;  3) $50K at CL in December;  and 4) the $90K HA copy reselling for $59K at the end of April 2020 as a BIN consignment.  hm

Hmmm....................this more than confirms that the $90K Heritage sale back in August of 2019 was more of an outlier sale than anything else 

Thsi would then place the current value of a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 back into the $50K to $60K price range that most boardies suspect is where it is. 

Hi all, nothing new per se but I always find the Heritage "offers" section interesting when it comes to high grade listings of this book. Basically if you sell or list a book on HA, you can be contacted seemingly forever with offers from interested parties. Recent ones for 9.8's have come under the recent sales prices. The idea of throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks, I guess:

SHORT DESCRIPTION                                                           SOLD FOR (WITH BP)    AUCTION DATE    OFFER    STATUS    OFFER DATE    

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....                      $38,240.00 May 12 2018 $49,712 Pending Jul 15 2020

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 First Printing (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... $17,925.00 Nov 17 2012 $35,000 Pending Jul 15 2020
Edited by GM8

Although they are under the recent auction sales results, maybe the offerers are hoping they'll still accept their offer or come back with a reasonable counter offer, especially considering that the offers are at least still substantially higher than the original purchase price of the books in the first place.  hm  :wishluck:

9 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Crazy. That's a pretty nice looking 6.0. Probably a good crack and press candidate. 

10 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Looks like the affordable 'low' grade copies are creeping up even more. 6.0 for $7,408us!

I've always thought that any copy of TMNT #1 first printing that is CGC universal graded and priced below $1,000 per point is a good deal.  There aren't enough to satisfy demand and never will be.  Prices above $1,000 per point seem inevitable... and this is probably the first of many.

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

I've always thought that any copy of TMNT #1 first printing that is CGC universal graded and priced below $1,000 per point is a good deal.  There aren't enough to satisfy demand and never will be.  Prices above $1,000 per point seem inevitable... and this is probably the first of many.

That's been my thinking as well, with any issue less than Very Fine easily commanding $1k per point (above that it starts to jump higher and gets crazy)

22 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:
On 7/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, valiantman said:

That's been my thinking as well, with any issue less than Very Fine easily commanding $1k per point (above that it starts to jump higher and gets crazy)

I was amazed how many years in a row you could get up to a 9.0 for less than $9,000, and 8.0 was closer to $6,500.  Those were complete bargains when 5.0 was already close to $5,000.