TMNT #1 Club
23 23

1,891 posts in this topic

GM8   
  • 362 posts
3 hours ago, Gump24601 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bI've been meaning to post this for a while now, but CGC # 0226054001 (#1 9.8 1st Print) is no more, so it can be removed from the register.

However ... it's with great pleasure (and relief) I present the upgrade done to it: now known as CGC # 1579577001: a #1 9.8 SS 1st Print.

There is a bit of a story to this wonderful book, as my wife and I travelled from Australia to North America with it in the middle of this year it went with us everywhere we went.

We first visited Vancouver, Canada: to Whistler, Victoria Island and other places around the city.

We then travelled to New York City where it's been ridden around Central Park, gazed across Manhattan Island atop the Empire State building, paid its respects at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, and even caught a ride on the Staten Island ferry.

It even had a sneaky visit to The Secret Stash out at New Jersey to meet the Comic Book Men guys!

After NYC we went to Orlando where it had a tour around the Kennedy Space Center and thankfully was kept under lock and key with the hotel whilst we checked out Universal Studios for a few days.

From there it was off to Las Vegas where it flew over the Grand Canyon in plane and helicopter as well as a quick boat ride at the bottom of the canyon. It even had a tour of the Shelby Museum as well!

We then drive across Nevada into California and toured around Los Angeles, visited Universal and around town - we even did part of the Walk of Fame (surely the turtles deserve their own star, right? :bigsmile:)

The last adventure was south, straight to San Diego Comic Con.

We broke this bad boy out of its slab at the CGC desk, cautiously walked through the crowds and managed to have Kevin sign it at the IDW stand - he was a little nervous seeing it out of the slab once he saw the old blue label grade! After another nervous walk to submit it to CGC after being witnessed, we enjoyed the rest of SDCC and then flew home on the last night of the con. Those hurdles were nothing compared to the 2 week wait for grading - I'm surprised I have fingernails still, it was such a nervous wait!

Thankfully, the book kept it's grade and arrived safely home back in Australia. The trip to Canada / US was amazing and so too the story in getting the book signed. The scan doesn't do the book justice - one day I'll use another, more cleaner, scanner to get a better picture of the book but for now below's a picture of our beauty for the time being. We love it to bits! :cloud9:

TMNT 1 1st Printing SS 1579577001 - Front.jpg

Wow what a great story.  You traveled all that way with it just to get it signed which just makes me sweat thinking about it!  I've always wondered how things would go down if one wanted to get a valuable book signed and you've spelled it out.  Congratulations.

I assume CGC takes this into account and removes the old number from their registry (and at the same time keeps the count at that grade the same)?

GM8   
  • 362 posts
2 hours ago, loboagain said:

Wow, the 9.6 TMNT #1 is at $22k with 3 days left on Heritage.  Any predictions on where it will end at? 

We've been talking about this listing over on the Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread (where this discussion fits better).  No idea but not much time left and seems close to peaking but who knows.  Price is what someone is willing to spend.

szavisca   
5 hours ago, loboagain said:

Wow, the 9.6 TMNT #1 is at $22k with 3 days left on Heritage.  Any predictions on where it will end at? 

I think it stays where it's at...26k with the buyers premium.  

One more bid would take it higher than the 9.8 that was auctioned a few months ago, which seems like it'd be a hard mental hurdle for a buyer to get over.  That along with the 9.8 buy it now being available for 50k... if I had that kinda money I'd want the 9.8 for 50k vs a 9.6 now pushing 30k.

valiantman   
  • 8,304 posts
2 hours ago, szavisca said:

One more bid would take it higher than the 9.8 that was auctioned a few months ago, which seems like it'd be a hard mental hurdle for a buyer to get over.  That along with the 9.8 buy it now being available for 50k... if I had that kinda money I'd want the 9.8 for 50k vs a 9.6 now pushing 30k.

Only 11 (GPA-recorded) sales of CGC 9.8 in the past 15+ years. I'm not sure if there's as much of a hurdle when you know it will probably be 500 days before you have another shot at a CGC 9.8 upgrade. If there were plenty available, it would definitely be weird to pay the 9.8 price for a 9.6, but this isn't one of those kinds of books.

Edited by valiantman

Gump24601   
  • 115 posts
13 hours ago, GM8 said:

Wow what a great story.  You traveled all that way with it just to get it signed which just makes me sweat thinking about it!  I've always wondered how things would go down if one wanted to get a valuable book signed and you've spelled it out.  Congratulations.

I assume CGC takes this into account and removes the old number from their registry (and at the same time keeps the count at that grade the same)?

I hadn't submitted anything to CGC before so it was a bit of a learning curve (not too steep, thankfully). But yes, we were very conscious everywhere we went that we made sure the book was close to us at all times!

You are correct - you shouldn't receive a result if you searched the census on the old CGC number. The old blue label was submitted with the book so that the item isn't duplicated in their system.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

I have to agree - being close to where last 9.8's selling point I wouldn't expect much more movement (if at all). The value of 9.6s and 9.8s have steadily increased in the last few years but there's been a fair jump in price for the 9.6 in this particular auction, sooooooo ... anything could happen? (shrug) I feel the book is still undervalued so it's good to see it climbing in this instance.

Icculus308win   
  • 4,881 posts
On 11/14/2017 at 3:13 AM, Gump24601 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bTMNT 1 1st Printing SS 1579577001 - Front.jpg

HOLY CARP!!

It has finally been accomplished and what a great story to accompany this amazing feat.

Great Sig placement and color choice, what an awesome copy. So happy for you Gump.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Edited by Icculus308win

Gump24601   
  • 115 posts
3 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

(Imho the ludicrous high price of that 9.6 #1 pales in comparison to this first ever SS 9.8!)

HOLY CARP!!

It has finally been accomplished and what a great story to accompany this amazing feat.

Great Sig placement and color choice, what an awesome copy. So happy for you Gump.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you for the kind words - I can't take the grail of first 9.8 SS, as there was one prior to have the book signed (it's still on the registry).

My wife and I did think about long and hard about taking it with us on the trip but ultimately we chose to do it as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity :)

I'll have to get a proper picture of it soon as the scans don't do it justice!

Icculus308win   
  • 4,881 posts
8 hours ago, Gump24601 said:

Thank you for the kind words - I can't take the grail of first 9.8 SS, as there was one prior to have the book signed (it's still on the registry).

My wife and I did think about long and hard about taking it with us on the trip but ultimately we chose to do it as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity :)

I'll have to get a proper picture of it soon as the scans don't do it justice!

My apologies Gump for having totally missed a prior SS 9.8! Last I checked there were none. Obviously longer than I think. My total bad. :facepalm:  When was the other added to Registry?? 

No matter my blunder, your copy is one stellar SS copy  (worship) With a helluva awesome story (and memory for you two) of how the SS came to be - thanks for sharing  :headbang:   

Edited by Icculus308win

s14roller   
  • 741 posts

Great 9.8...you're a brave soul for taking it on travels and cracking a 9.8 for a sig!

szavisca   
On 11/15/2017 at 5:14 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Looks like the Turtles are experiencing an overdue price spike.  :headbang:

-J.

9.0 on HA went for gpa record in grade of $6,214... almost a 40% increase over the last recorded sale a couple months ago.  Solid result there.

Edited by szavisca