• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2017 at 11:01 AM, GM8 said:

All I can say is.  Wow.  This 9.6 (again, not mine) is at $21, 510! ($18K + buyer's premium).  I think the last 9.6 high was around $14K so this is a huge increase.  Ends 11/18.

Edited by GM8

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

All I can say is.  Wow.  This 9.6 (again, not mine) is at $21, 510! ($18K + buyer's premium).  I think the last 9.6 high was around $14K so this is a huge increase.  Ends 11/18.

WOW... I just saw this and came here to post...never thought this would get anywhere near this high.  Happy days for owners of this one.

6 hours ago, rainmaker said:

oh there we go, i just posted in the tmnt 1 thread.  the current auction is crazy.  

In the big scheme of things the higher grades have had a looooong arc of price increases, much more so than the lower grades.  I get it, more people can afford the 6, 7 and 8's.  You see the same thing with the ASM and AF15 demand. 

I have no idea what the equilibrium price is of the high grades but just sheer availability dictates these to be higher than current prices (again, comparatively).

Anyone have GPA on the 9.6?  I thought it was 12-14K before this.

5 hours ago, GM8 said:

In the big scheme of things the higher grades have had a looooong arc of price increases, much more so than the lower grades.  I get it, more people can afford the 6, 7 and 8's.  You see the same thing with the ASM and AF15 demand. 

I have no idea what the equilibrium price is of the high grades but just sheer availability dictates these to be higher than current prices (again, comparatively).

Anyone have GPA on the 9.6?  I thought it was 12-14K before this.

Last 9.6 on gpa was the Berk copy in June at $13,800...the jump on this doesn't really make sense, but then I still get dizzy seeing AF 15 3.0s close to 20k.. 7.0s at 100k etc.  

Will be more interesting to see how the next  2 or 3 copies go at auction, to see if this is an anomaly or if the bar has been raised.

As rare as it is in this  grade I'd think it'd be another year before we see that many come up for sale but this result could flush out a few copies.

GPA shows A 9.4 recently went for $9,500 too.

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

Last 9.6 on gpa was the Berk copy in June at $13,800...the jump on this doesn't really make sense, but then I still get dizzy seeing AF 15 3.0s close to 20k.. 7.0s at 100k etc.  

Will be more interesting to see how the next  2 or 3 copies go at auction, to see if this is an anomaly or if the bar has been raised.

As rare as it is in this  grade I'd think it'd be another year before we see that many come up for sale but this result could flush out a few copies.

GPA shows A 9.4 recently went for $9,500 too.

Ok thanks.  Who's Berk btw?

CGC census says 46 in 9.6 total (25 in 9.8, and 70 in 9.4).

5 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Ok thanks.  Who's Berk btw?

CGC census says 46 in 9.6 total (25 in 9.8, and 70 in 9.4).

Berk was a famous mega collector, famous enough that cgc added "from the collection of John Berk" to all the labels of his slabbed books.

There did seem to be a bit of a premium paid for his stuff when it was all auctioned off on comicconnect a few months ago, so it was worth noting that someone might have paid a little higher on that particular TMNT #1 than they would normally would have.

If you search the golden age forum you'll see the guy was a legend amongst those collectors.

As far as those census numbers go probably only the 9.8 number is accurate.  I'd imagine there's fewer actual 9.6s and 9.4s due to people pressing/resubbibg etc in hopes of getting a higher grade.

23 hours ago, rainmaker said:

oh there we go, i just posted in the tmnt 1 thread.  the current auction is crazy.  

On 11/9/2017 at 10:37 AM, szavisca said:

WOW... I just saw this and came here to post...never thought this would get anywhere near this high.  Happy days for owners of this one.

Now at $26,290 (22K w/ buyer's premium).  :whatthe:

5 hours ago, GM8 said:

Now at $26,290 (22K w/ buyer's premium).  :whatthe:

Ok this has truly entered the realm of the absurd... why aren't these clowns just buying that 9.8?...I wonder if we'll find out after the fact that the winning bidder backs out or wasn't legit, etc.  This just seems unreal (but boy I'm crossing my fingers that it is real...)

Edited by szavisca

And a few lower grade copies between clink and cconnect.  I've imagined at some point this book was going to experience a major jump perhaps that's what's happening now.  It's the perfect storm of mega key, limited availability and demand. The 9.6 looks nice but it's past the point of overpaying and hoping for a press and resub.

being heritage I would imagine the bids are legit.

On 11/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, szavisca said:

Ok this has truly entered the realm of the absurd... why aren't these clowns just buying that 9.8?...I wonder if we'll find out after the fact that the winning bidder backs out or wasn't legit, etc.  This just seems unreal (but boy I'm crossing my fingers that it is real...)

The 9.6 on HA Just closed at the same $26,290.  Very big day for TMNT #1 valuations.  We'll see if price confirmation comes in other higher-grade copies when they are for sale.

Edited by GM8

3 minutes ago, GM8 said:

The 9.6 on HA Just closed at the same $26,290.  Very big day for TMNT #1 valuations.  We'll see if price confirmation comes in other higher-grade copies when they are for sale.

9.0 on heritage ends Sunday at  4800 now... 9.0 on cc ends in a month .... 7.0, 8.0, and 9.4 on CL ending in 2 weeks.  

Lotta action ... will be watching these with great interest, but it'll be the next 2 or 3 auctions of 9.6s or 9.8s that tell the real story, whenever they happen to come up at auction again. Can't wait to see what happens then...

On 11/26/2017 at 6:08 AM, GM8 said:

Looks like yesterday someone put in a 10k offer on the 9.4 available as a BIN on HA.  Probably won't know for a few days if that sale actually goes through but I presume the CL one goes over 10k easy now... we'll find out tomorrow.

9 hours ago, szavisca said:

Looks like yesterday someone put in a 10k offer on the 9.4 available as a BIN on HA.  Probably won't know for a few days if that sale actually goes through but I presume the CL one goes over 10k easy now... we'll find out tomorrow.

You're right.  Well this is certainly a trend now.  We'll see if the CL one catches up.  I know HA gets extra from both sides but is it your experience that HA always commands the highest prices?  

And I just noticed that both the HA and CL 9.4's have OW/W pages which usually command around 20% less than White pages.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-first-printing-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7039-91197.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by GM8