• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

Ty sir!

A question for those who are knowledgeable with the grading of the #1-4 set: how strict are CGC in regards to color break along the spine? For example one the books I have has minimal paper thin colour break along certain spots on the spine, wheres one of the others has more severe colour break along most of the spine. Just curious in case I ever decide to send a set in for grading one day.

Thanks for the kind words guys, here are the rest of the other artist interpretations I have in the sketchbook, I will be adding a few more soon to the book....

Bill Sienkiewicz:

32ztnv6.jpg

Tony Moore:

10giwq1.jpg

Ethan Van Sciver:

102tg13.jpg

James O' Barr (This one starts the sketchbook):

291kpc8.jpg

Tony Daniel:

350uzx3.jpg

David Finch:

2m4ezo2.jpg

Michael Golden:

2rmobcm.jpg

Aaron Lopresti:

1057kb7.jpg

Nat Jones:

24vp5oj.jpg

Timothy Bradstreet:

2a5kodx.jpg

Terry Moore:

sb33ns.jpg

Paul Chadwick:

3163xgh.jpg

Ken Steacy:

5ziedl.jpg

Mike Grell:

3447eh3.jpg

Joseph Michael Linsner:

5a1f2g.jpg

Clayton Crain:

1ih3kp.jpg

David Mack:

jauyk1.jpg

Bernard Chang:

oqau51.jpg

Simon Bisley:

x2j7d1.jpg

:o :o :o These are so awesome!! :golfclap: (thumbs u

Not sure how many of you remember this, but going back over 20 years ago when Diamond Comic Distributors was advance soliciting The Crow Volume #3 by Tundra Publishing, they were running a contest for retailers. At the time I was working at the distributor's Seattle location and remember seeing the contest advertised. At the time, whichever retailers ordered the most copies of volume #3 of The Crow (which was the first time we saw the story's conclusion which would have been issue #5 of the original series in print) would receive a black leather jacket with a full painting done on the back by O' Barr.

I still to this day remember the image they had posted, which was a woman standing wearing the jacket and the image was of the back of the jacket on her. The painting was about a waist high full image of Eric (The Crow) turning and looking right back at you. It was stunning to say the least. I have asked James about it and he doesn't know what happened to it, meaning which retailer won it, if any at all. Kevin Eastman owned Tundra Publishing and will be here in Seattle at ECCC so if I can get over to him I am going to ask him what became of that jacket and see if he remembers. I am just curious if they ended up awarding a retailer with it who ordered the most copies or if its sitting somewhere in a box. I have just been trying to track it down, or at the very least whatever became of it.

Grats on the pick up!

Thank you, now that I have these I will actively hunt for Caliber books so I can try to complete a set of the books including the Caliber Presents #1 and #15, Christmas and of course #1 and Tundra #3.

Looking forward to the journey ahead.

I have read this entire thread btw, great books and OA everyone I am super impressed (and envious).

Yep, the hook has been set, lol !

It is very rewarding once you do find high grade copies. For sure!

Not sure how many of you remember this, but going back over 20 years ago when Diamond Comic Distributors was advance soliciting The Crow Volume #3 by Tundra Publishing, they were running a contest for retailers. At the time I was working at the distributor's Seattle location and remember seeing the contest advertised. At the time, whichever retailers ordered the most copies of volume #3 of The Crow (which was the first time we saw the story's conclusion which would have been issue #5 of the original series in print) would receive a black leather jacket with a full painting done on the back by O' Barr.

I still to this day remember the image they had posted, which was a woman standing wearing the jacket and the image was of the back of the jacket on her. The painting was about a waist high full image of Eric (The Crow) turning and looking right back at you. It was stunning to say the least. I have asked James about it and he doesn't know what happened to it, meaning which retailer won it, if any at all. Kevin Eastman owned Tundra Publishing and will be here in Seattle at ECCC so if I can get over to him I am going to ask him what became of that jacket and see if he remembers. I am just curious if they ended up awarding a retailer with it who ordered the most copies or if its sitting somewhere in a box. I have just been trying to track it down, or at the very least whatever became of it.

Do you have a pic by any chance?

Would love to see it.

I guess Jack Huston wasn't 'officially' signed on until today.

Jack Huston Set As ‘The Crow’ In Relativity Remake

EXCLUSIVE: The Crow will take flight with Jack Huston now set to play the starring role originated by Brandon Lee. Huston has closed his deal to play Eric Draven, the tragic hero in a film that will be directed by The Hallow‘s Corin Hardy and will begin production in 2015. He’ll do this after he finishes shooting the title role in the Ben-Hur remake that Timur Bekmambetov is directing for MGM and Paramount.

jackhuston.jpg

I love The Crow with Brandon Lee; loved the dark world and the acting. I didn't really care much for the sequels. I hope this remake stays true to the tone of the source material and isn't turned into a PG version.

Do you have a pic by any chance?

Would love to see it.

I don't have an image, I wish I did. I have a very vivid memory and remember seeing the image they had either in Previews or a DIamond Dateline update as I was in the warehouse looking over stuff and saw the mention of it and the image too showing the woman wearing the jacket. I don't know whatever became of it, not does James when I asked him not long ago. I doubt Kevin Eastman will remember, it was over 20 years ago, but if I get a chance to get away from my booth at ECCC this weekend I will bring it up to him and see if he remembers. If I can somehow find an image, I will certainly post too.

Just bought NM first printings of 1,3,4 on ebay for $75 shipped. I'm stoked!

Nice!

A couple of us saw that auction, and wondered who grabbed it.

What a great price!

Exactly!

:applause:

Just bought NM first printings of 1,3,4 on ebay for $75 shipped. I'm stoked!

Nice!

A couple of us saw that auction, and wondered who grabbed it.

What a great price!

Exactly!

:applause:

I'm glad a board member got it. :applause:

He had it listed as an auction starting at 49.99. I messaged him and asked how much he would take for them right now. When he came back with $75 I shed a little tear.

Did the seller confirm #1 and #3 were 1st printings? Check for that when these arrive. It will be noted in the legend if it is a later printing.

:wishluck:

He had it listed as an auction starting at 49.99. I messaged him and asked how much he would take for them right now. When he came back with $75 I shed a little tear.

Did the seller confirm #1 and #3 were 1st printings? Check for that when these arrive. It will be noted in the legend if it is a later printing.

He said all were first printings. Here's hoping!

He said all were first printings. Here's hoping!

Congrats! You have yourself the beginnings of a nice little set.

So the consensus is Crow 1,2,3, and 4 have lower print runs then

Caliber Presents 1?

hm

Depends on the book. And these are estimates, though Michael/Mschmidt had a very good reference on the Crow 1-4, and I trust his information.

Caliber Presents 1 = 10,000

Crow 1 = 10,000

Crow 2 = 7,000

Crow 3 = 5,000

Crow 4 = 12,000

Wow! I never realized how low a print run Caliber Presents 1 was, for some reason I was thinking 50,000, this book just got a whole lot more attractive to me.

Someone asked about the print run of these books.

:bump:

Then check the Census for 9.8's of each... :eek:

These are the numbers for 1st prints of each issue.

#1 -

20 9.8s

13 Blue

1 Green

6 Yellow

#2 -

14 9.8's

10 Blue

1 Green

3 Yellow

#3 -

9 9.8's

6 Blue

1 Green

2 Yellow

#4 -

13 9.8s

11 Blue

1 Green

1 Yellow

And the Census barely moves. Ever.

There may still be some raw 9.8's out there, but we've been waiting for them for a long time.