• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

Just as Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko's style was unique. His Marvel runs, especially Spider-Man, was masterful - everyone must check out ASM 33 - no word balloons were really needed in the first part of that story. However, he's got his demons that he must live with and unfortunately for us, he's a recluse and an almost impossible man to talk to.

His address is not a secret, many people have written him over the years. He sometimes replies with a sentence or two in a letter that is unsigned. He refuses to autograph anything for fans or anyone else. I don't think he is a recluse, he just has no interest in fandom or notoriety. He does travel from his home to visit publishers and attend business meetings, or did when he was still working regularly.

I think the work he was doing for Charlton in the 1950's was simply brilliant, as was the stuff he did for Marvel in the early 1960's. (The pre-hero mystery and suspense stories especially.) Of course he is well-known for Spider-Man, but his work on Doctor Strange was even more spectacular in my opinion. I think he produced much genius-level work in his prime.

Interesting reply. You seem to know your stuff bro.

Yeah man, I agree with you, I favor his work on Dr Strange over Spider-man - Not to discredit his genius with Spidey!

But Mutant Manatee, do you have any idea how I can get a hold of his address? or anybody?

I decided I'm going to try my luck and write to him... Going to be awkward, I don't expect anything back but a reply alone I think would make it worth it. Maybe somebody could PM me?

His address is not a secret, many people have written him over the years. He sometimes replies with a sentence or two in a letter that is unsigned. He refuses to autograph anything for fans or anyone else. I don't think he is a recluse, he just has no interest in fandom or notoriety. He does travel from his home to visit publishers and attend business meetings, or did when he was still working regularly.

I think the work he was doing for Charlton in the 1950's was simply brilliant, as was the stuff he did for Marvel in the early 1960's. (The pre-hero mystery and suspense stories especially.) Of course he is well-known for Spider-Man, but his work on Doctor Strange was even more spectacular in my opinion. I think he produced much genius-level work in his prime.

I think Ditko's work on Dr Strange is some of the greatest comic art ever done. Certainly my favorite Ditko work and equal to Kirby. I love the fact that no other artist's work looks like Ditko, he really is a one of a kind. I also would like to give kudos to Gene Colan's work on Dr Strange in the late 60's. Brilliant stuff.

Well.. if you guys are doing it.. maybe i should try my luck as well..

I think a few of us should, what' the worst that could happen?

I'd love a reply alone, even if he just said, 'leave me alone', haha.

I'm thinking of getting a group of fans together to go to his house and publicly confront him until he signs a bunch of autographs.

If that fails, I'm thinking a paper sack full of dog with a crude drawing of spider-man on it might do the trick. No need to light it...one look at the spidey figure should send him into a fit of rage.

Well.. if you guys are doing it.. maybe i should try my luck as well..

I think a few of us should, what' the worst that could happen?

I'd love a reply alone, even if he just said, 'leave me alone', haha.

I'm thinking of getting a group of fans together to go to his house and publicly confront him until he signs a bunch of autographs.

If that fails, I'm thinking a paper sack full of dog with a crude drawing of spider-man on it might do the trick. No need to light it...one look at the spidey figure should send him into a fit of rage.

You should check if he has a gun permit or that might not turn out how you want.

If you recruited someone with a passing resemblance to go around town posing as Steve Ditko that might draw him out of his shell.

Its sad to see a great artist hating his audience to this point. :(

I agree - Gene Colan's work took Dr. Strange to a whole new level. Just like John Romita took ASM in a whole new direction which I enjoy slightly more than Ditko's.

For me, apples and oranges: no need to compare the two because you simply can't--just enjoy them both for what they are. (thumbs u

You should check if he has a gun permit or that might not turn out how you want.

If he shoots me, I'll sue him for every penny he's got...plus an autograph.

Steve Ditko is one of my all-time favorites. When I get an ASM run going, I only desire issues #1-#38. After that, there is still some good stuff, but it is generally not in keeping with how I view the character. I agree with much of his creative sentiments. I think of him as the real creator of the "character" Spider-Man, even though the conceptual idea of Spidey was not his. He is the one who really created the character though.

I like his character, Mr. A. Very interesting work. Again, much of his sentiments expressed I can agree or at least understand.