• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

Bird:

Since you are in NJ and it's 40k books I'll just warn you about this lead.  It's likely a fake.  Every store in Jersey has been contacted about this lead and it's been around for several months. The guy you spoke to absolutely, at one time, had a lot of comics.  Rambles and knows a lot about comics, knows a lot of dealers etc.  He sets up a time but it never materializes.  Where are these books being stored?  He claims things like "his girlfriend" or "his house" and if he hasn't mentioned it already, will mention his brother.  His brother is actually an orthopedic physician (legit) and is the one who revealed that there are likely no books (because he owes his brother a bunch of money and his brother would love for it to be real, but despite being told about the books, his brother has never seen them).  He revealed his brother is mentally ill.  He likes to talk and talk and the reason you never talk money is that it generally is all talk.  

I can't imagine there's two 40k collections out there in Jersey being shopped like this right now, but I don't want you to get your hopes up in case it's the one I'm referring to, which I think it is.  He's contacted several stores in the area.  One did the leg work to follow up extensively, and it turned out fake.  The guy has been contacting folks for a few months.

How much you wanna bet you have a different guy? I have seen enough to be hopeful. I'll have a definitive answer in 18 hours one way or another. I'll let you know. No girlfriend, no brother, none of that. He logged EVERY book in the collection and I have held those lists in my hands already.

good news, meeting in am confirmed...bad news, I think that he pulled the Namor The Submariner run instead of the Submariner run! Also reviewing ASM 100+, Hulk 100+, full New Mutants run, both v1 and v2 of Silver Surfer. Or it is a mirage! (But I don't think so...this was a family connection not a CL ad or the like!)

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, Bird said:

How much you wanna bet you have a different guy? I have seen enough to be hopeful. I'll have a definitive answer in 18 hours one way or another. I'll let you know. No girlfriend, no brother, none of that. He logged EVERY book in the collection and I have held those lists in my hands already.

good news, meeting in am confirmed...bad news, I think that he pulled the Namor The Submariner run instead of the Submariner run! Also reviewing ASM 100+, Hulk 100+, full New Mutants run, both v1 and v2 of Silver Surfer. Or it is a mirage! (But I don't think so...this was a family connection not a CL ad or the like!)

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

giphy.gif

I am more JoJo the Monkey Boy but yes, not that far off. The list alone is overwhelming, not to mention that many comics. My wife was laughing...he wrote down every book? (One per line, even Firestar 1, Firestar 2, Firestar 3, Firestar 4.)

Edited by Bird

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am more JoJo the Monkey Boy but yes, not that far off. The list alone is overwhelming, not to mention that many comics. My wife was laughing...he wrote down every book? (One per line, even Firestar 1, Firestar 2, Firestar 3, Firestar 4.)

that seems pretty odd

3 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

that seems pretty odd

yeah. Gambit 1, Gambit 2, Gambit 3, Gambit 4. Amazing Fantasy 16, Amazing Fantasy 17, Amazing Fantasy 18. Storage method is odd as well. Unless they don;t exist of course. 

4 hours ago, Bird said:

It could absolutely be a different collection, but 40k books is a lot.  If he set up an appointment you are ahead of the game and it could very well be different.  Best of luck.

9 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

That would be a lot of effort to put into a fake sale.

Yes, but don't underestimate some forms of mental illness.  I'm not saying this is the case here, but for someone that's a bit off this is definitely possible.  There's also lots of people who have full mental capacity that have better to do than waste other people's time....

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Yes, but don't underestimate some forms of mental illness.  I'm not saying this is the case here, but for someone that's a bit off this is definitely possible.  There's also lots of people who have full mental capacity that have better to do than waste other people's time....

They are real. I will post some pics later today, and some in PGM thread. ^^ (Now did I pay too much, that will be the tale. And I will tell the tale but not until every book is in my house. Lots of driving and such coming up in the next few weeks. Thankfully I have insomnia and am up by 5 am everyday!)

Edited by Bird
this is someone I know but we did not of each other's interest until recently. We laughed at the tales you guys came up with.

Now, do I hit up the estate sales I had on my list even though I found some goodies? I don't know. One upcoming has a lot of comics with BA11 on the top of one stack!

Just now, Bird said:

Now, do I hit up the estate sales I had on my list even though I found some goodies? I don't know. One upcoming has a lot of comics with BA11 on the top of one stack!

If I'm on a hot streak I keep going till I cool off

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

If I'm on a hot streak I keep going till I cool off

Great point, I am going back out after some food! (I get up so early that I am there and back already. Easy deal with loose parameters until I go over the lists, which are now in my possession and look over the books I got.)

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

They are real. I will post some pics later today, and some in PGM thread. ^^ (Now did I pay too much, that will be the tale. And I will tell the tale but not until every book is in my house. Lots of driving and such coming up in the next few weeks. Thankfully I have insomnia and am up by 5 am everyday!)

Sales thread here on the boards 

:wishluck:

You betcha! I am overwhelmed already. Washing and drying my hands a lot.

Condition varies greatly. SS4 is so strong colorwise, but one of the books before it has significant tape, That type of thing.

I decided not to drive 30 minutes for an estate sale but stay home and look at my comics. I won't hog the thread but here you go, a few pictures (I'll add some more to this same post later.)

DB-CAk2XkAMXift.jpg

The comics are in pretty consistent runs but here is an early outlier. Beat to heck but not bad for what is essentially a bonus.

DB-FYuCXoAUwKV-.jpgDB-FYt_XoAAKotT.jpg

Okay, I think I should start a thread of my own now.

Edited by Bird
I put the ASM129 in a PGM thread. Comics comics comics!

7 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Small yearly show at a local library 

Picked up a lot of $1 books but these are for me

IMG_7955.JPG

Wow is that book still shrink-wrapped and unsold at $9?  Was it buried in the floorboards?