Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
48 48

10,986 posts in this topic

18,968 posts
4 hours ago, Bird said:

I sold one here on the boards (Tribune one) for $4 or so not too long ago. It is a fun book, picked it up at a flea market for less than $1.

These things are worth about treefiddy in decent shape

5,283 posts
11 hours ago, Bird said:

I sold one here on the boards (Tribune one) for $4 or so not too long ago. It is a fun book, picked it up at a flea market for less than $1.

true-- and those Tribune ones appear much more common than the other versions I found checking it out a bit. I could not find that same cover that @Mercury Man had at all in the ComicBookRealm (CBR) website. It might be in the grand comics database-- didn't check there. CBR lists the Tribune version as a one shot (1980- though it has Dec 1979 cover date) and then has another title set as "giveaways" where there were about 5 different covers (possibly stories as well) with some repetition from various different newspapers.

Those listed were:

Dallas Times Herald Giveaway (cover says "Pipeline to Peril") - 1980

Three different papers doing one with the "Missing Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" on the cover as well - Dallas Times Herald, Tulsa World, and Sanger Harris (1982)

Kansas City Star Giveaway  (title on cover says "Chaos in Kansas City" (1982)

Austin American Statesman Giveaway  (story about a rodeo shoot or something) 1982 - also found in two other papers - San Antonio News Express & Houston Chronicle

Denver Post Giveaway  (Team up against Dr. Doom in the Colorado Caper) 1982

But in all of those-- did not see one that looked like your cover at all.

I would hang on to it until you know more about it.

677 posts
8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

true-- and those Tribune ones appear much more common than the other versions I found checking it out a bit. I could not find that same cover that @Mercury Man had at all in the ComicBookRealm (CBR) website. It might be in the grand comics database-- didn't check there. CBR lists the Tribune version as a one shot (1980- though it has Dec 1979 cover date) and then has another title set as "giveaways" where there were about 5 different covers (possibly stories as well) with some repetition from various different newspapers.

Those listed were:

Dallas Times Herald Giveaway (cover says "Pipeline to Peril") - 1980

Three different papers doing one with the "Missing Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" on the cover as well - Dallas Times Herald, Tulsa World, and Sanger Harris (1982)

Kansas City Star Giveaway  (title on cover says "Chaos in Kansas City" (1982)

Austin American Statesman Giveaway  (story about a rodeo shoot or something) 1982 - also found in two other papers - San Antonio News Express & Houston Chronicle

Denver Post Giveaway  (Team up against Dr. Doom in the Colorado Caper) 1982

But in all of those-- did not see one that looked like your cover at all.

I would hang on to it until you know more about it.

A number of these are listed in Overstreet. In terms of the Columbia Dispatch book, comicspriceguide.com lists it at $14 in 9.4, which is more or less compatible with the previous poster’s MCS listing. The CPG listing has had 3372 searches, which suggests its not uncommon.

I think the ones that are listed in Overstreet are in the $16-$20 range in NM-, though I don’t recall if this particular one is there.

5,283 posts
1 minute ago, Brock said:

A number of these are listed in Overstreet. In terms of the Columbia Dispatch book, comicspriceguide.com lists it at $14 in 9.4, which is more or less compatible with the previous poster’s MCS listing. The CPG listing has had 3372 searches, which suggests its not uncommon.

I think the ones that are listed in Overstreet are in the $16-$20 range in NM-, though I don’t recall if this particular one is there.

interesting

What struck me was finding out that a book I have always thought was a one shot thing has so many other versions. I bet there is someone out there hunting down every single version from every single paper-- since the newspaper imprint is a form of variant imo.

1,188 posts

Probably not 'rare', but interested to know how many were printed and how many wound up surviving in that percentage.