• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Summer 2001, I am at a tag sale on LI and ask, as I always do, about comics. The homeowners say no, sorry, none here. I ask a few follow up questions and they say yes, a cousin used to collect comics, give me your number and I'll pass it along. Great, you never know. So, I get a phone call some days or weeks later and it's the cousin. We speak a couple of times and talk about his collection and eventually set up a time for me to go to his apartment in Hoboken, NJ to check it out. September 10, 2001, I leave work and head to Hoboken by way of the Path train from the World Trade Center. I get to the apartment, meet the guy, and he tells me they're up there in that box on top of a high shelf? refrigerator? I can't recall exactly, but the medium sized, brown cardboard box has a pretty thick layer of dust on the top and the guy tells me that he was an active collector years ago going to shows in NYC, etc., but gave up the hobby.

A lot of people would have just walked away after the initial "no" glad that wasn't the case

11 hours ago, Bob7891 said:

Picked this up at an antique shop 3 months ago. Asked owner how much and happy to pay his $10 asking price.

3BCF0F5F-E7FF-4411-8619-8560F52AA031.jpeg

Antique stores seem to be the epitome of laziness when it comes to valuing comics.  I found a great score of comics at a place that had 4-5 long boxes priced at $1 each (five copies of SSM 64 in there), but when you only have a few comics to value, you'd think you take a minute and put your coffee down to look up the price of a book.  lol

Great grab for you!!

July 12, 2019 I was on my way to get a haircut at a friends house and this yard sale was on the way.. I went an hour and a half past when the sale started (Federer v Nadal Wimbeldon) so I potentially missed out on better caliber comics but it was cool to pay $25 for the leftovers pair

63FD6880-BA7F-4B11-9530-B32B0E120109.jpeg

On 4/29/2020 at 9:45 PM, Bob7891 said:

Picked this up at an antique shop 3 months ago. Asked owner how much and happy to pay his $10 asking price.

3BCF0F5F-E7FF-4411-8619-8560F52AA031.jpeg

Is this the first Donald Duck comic?

2.9.20 Once a week I hit up several thrift stores in one outing. Rarely are there ever any comics let alone decent ones. This is probably 1 per 500 trips. All recent 2011-2019 New 52/Rebirth/NOW comics. Full runs/sets.. The original owner took really good care of his books. I bought 7 boxes. Issues like All New Wolverine 2, DP/Spidey 1, Invincible Iron Man 9, Seven to Eternity 1. Side note: try not to show the employees you're getting a deal

8EFA32A9-90AB-4B64-8568-34EE2741EF3D.jpeg

This was my last flea comic haul two months ago before everything stopped. The Punisher was 50 cents and the Boba was $20.. Really nice solid copies.. As I was paying $15 for the X-Men 50 a random guy was literally pulling it from my hands.. He's said "it's a nice one".. yeah jerk it's mine lol. I don't mind others taking a look at what I have but just don't grab it and be polite :)

97C3258D-8F7B-4B4E-AE89-17A3108878EF.jpeg

19 hours ago, littledoom said:

2.9.20 Once a week I hit up several thrift stores in one outing. Rarely are there ever any comics let alone decent ones. This is probably 1 per 500 trips. All recent 2011-2019 New 52/Rebirth/NOW comics. Full runs/sets.. The original owner took really good care of his books. I bought 7 boxes. Issues like All New Wolverine 2, DP/Spidey 1, Invincible Iron Man 9, Seven to Eternity 1. Side note: try not to show the employees you're getting a deal

8EFA32A9-90AB-4B64-8568-34EE2741EF3D.jpeg

Added bonus - boxes in great shape!

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

This was my last flea comic haul two months ago before everything stopped. The Punisher was 50 cents and the Boba was $20.. Really nice solid copies.. As I was paying $15 for the X-Men 50 a random guy was literally pulling it from my hands.. He's said "it's a nice one".. yeah jerk it's mine lol. I don't mind others taking a look at what I have but just don't grab it and be polite :)

What's the deal with the Punisher, just low print run?

1 hour ago, spreads said:

What's the deal with the Punisher, just low print run?

Yeah it's like around a $20 book... last issue in the Punisher Armory series.. kinda hard to find mixed in with an amazing Michael Golden cover

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

Yeah, there’s a lot of that that goes on out “in the wild”. People can get very aggressive. The worst is when you see a hand grab a book out of a box you are looking through. I have had to calmly look them in the eye and tell them when I’m done you can look. The way I look at it is I was there first and it is MY box until I am through. I have actually, lightly slapped such hands. 

I recently watched a guy pick out book after book out of a box right in front of me. I knew I missed them and it was his lucky day. When he got done I gave him a quiet thumbs up and we both smiled as he walked away. 

The worst thing you can do is cause a commotion. Don’t alert a seller that he blew it. Usually ends up with the seller pulling them back and no one gets anything. 

Sometimes, it’s just some one else’s lucky day. There is always another day when you will come out on top. 

I get a lot of stuff other people never see because my wife and I are dealers and we know a lot of other dealers. Because we spend money and pay fair, I get a lot of stuff that they hold for me first. 

Like you, I work very hard at it but find that being aggressive and nasty just isn’t the best way anymore.

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

As I was paying $15 for the X-Men 50 a random guy was literally pulling it from my hands..

That's insane.  The guy is probably mentally ill.  Good on you for handling it in a civilized manner... it takes some Jedi skills to handle a surprise attack like that.