• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

Actually, I believe there were internment camps for German Americans during WWII. Like the Japanese Americans, even some US citizens were interned. But the number of German Americans interned was a small fraction of the number of Japanese Americans.

Still, the Japanese were depicted much differently than Germans. I suspect the attack on Pearl Harbor had a lot to do with it, and the government's internment of so many Japanese Americans as enemy aliens didn't help.

Comic covers reflected that (I know it's already been posted, but I like the cover).

USMarines2.jpg

Though Fiction House covers tended not to depict the racial stereotypes that most other publlishers did, I think they still were more than able to get their feelings towards the Japanese across!

Fight31.jpg

I think it was in one of Stephen Ambrose's books on the war that he talked about the fact that there was a deep seated racial hatred towards the Japanese that didn't exist to the same extent with the Germans.

Given America's attitude towards black people in 1941 (segregation, color barrier in sports, KKK, menial jobs, Black Sambo type advertising, etc.) it is not too hard to understand how Japanese people could be portrayed as less than human in print.

I think it was in one of Stephen Ambrose's books on the war that he talked about the fact that there was a deep seated racial hatred towards the Japanese that didn't exist to the same extent with the Germans.

Given America's attitude towards black people in 1941 (segregation, color barrier in sports, KKK, menial jobs, Black Sambo type advertising, etc.) it is not too hard to understand how Japanese people could be portrayed as less than human in print.

A great point. Japanese people look different than white America and Germans look the same.

Rarely seen cover. (thumbs u

photobucketpicturesjune62009001.jpg

I have seen that cover a lot. Purchased from Wally at the outdoor flea market.

2916931096_0362c888ab_o.jpg

2334394348_fb1dc12b14_o.jpg

This one always amazes me. Love the colors but wonder about the thinking that went behind it. Sorry about posting again but not everyone has seen it.

bb

Actually, I believe there were internment camps for German Americans during WWII. Like the Japanese Americans, even some US citizens were interned. But the number of German Americans interned was a small fraction of the number of Japanese Americans.

I do believe this is right. A quick Wiki search comes up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

Also, this is easily my favorite thread on the boards. (worship)

Tule Lake was one of the Japanese-American internment camps set up during WW II. Star Trek actor George Takei was reportedly interned there with his family.

19greenhornet.jpg

And a few others covers:

flash33.jpg

5boy.jpg

18humantorch.jpg

I do believe this is right. A quick Wiki search comes up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

Seemed to recall reading about limited German American internment (was a big WW 2 buff a long time ago), but was surprised to learn about Italian American internment too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American_internment

Tule Lake was one of the Japanese-American internment camps set up during WW II. Star Trek actor George Takei was reportedly interned there with his family.

19greenhornet.jpg

Interesting cover - always enjoy the covers that actually make reference to real people/events/places. Actually, surprised an Okajima book hasn't been posted yet. This is not a Japanese war cover, but only one I could find. A really interesting piece of history - wonder if this came from Tule Lake?

SupMagV3-1.jpg

Here's a closeup of writing - used Picasa to try to make it a little clearer; "Okajima 3-29-44 2T"

SupMagV3-1LogoPic.jpg

Keep'em coming.

StartlingComics24-2.jpg

Here's a Okajima book. (thumbs u

That's awesome. Okajima :cloud9:

Can you imagine what it must have felt like to be a kid in the camps and get books that looked like some the ones in this thread?

I believe Marvel Mystery 31 is the second issue with the "Remember Pearl Harbor" bullet. I think it was on 30 and 32 as well, I'm not sure about other titles. Here the Japanese are portrayed as being quite montrous.

MarvelMystery31.jpg

It seems to me that as the war progressed, and the tide turned for the Allied powers, the Japanese were portrayed more as buffoons as in this Action Comics cover (which I think is the last Action Comics war cover.)

ActionComics86.jpg

That said there are a number of later issues of Marvel Mystery such as 50 and 58 whose covers feature what I call "Giant Asian Monsters." Sorry I don't own those issues to post.

Finally, one really interesting cover is Marvel Mystery #55 which has a female Chinese prisoner on the cover. Her features are charicatured, but not in the hateful way that the Japanese characters are. I think the portrayal of the Japanese was a combination of the unfamiliarity of most Americans with "the other" and a healthy dose of hatred for a wartime foe.

marvelmystery55.jpg