• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2021 at 10:24 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I am sure others will see this record sale and 10 more will pop up on the census. Don’t worry it will drop half that value in 6 months :popcorn:

These days CGC is looking for reasons not to give out 9.8s...I don't think they're in a hurry to be awarding 9.9s

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Anyone following my posts in The Water Cooler (the Gold/investment thread and the Bitcoin thread) for the past 6 months or so knows that I became very bearish on anything ever making sense again at some point last summer, realizing that money is being debased into oblivion and that all ties to reality have pretty much been cut at this point (re: asset prices are no longer bound by gravity and prices will keep getting stupider until the system itself  totally breaks down).  

Well stated. I believe there is a madness upon the land, in multiple guises and manifestations: this is as precise and prescient a summary of that economic malady as I could ever aspire or indict.  ^^

15 hours ago, delekkerste said:

lol 

I'm not surprised. Anyone following my posts in The Water Cooler (the Gold/investment thread and the Bitcoin thread) for the past 6 months or so knows that I became very bearish on anything ever making sense again at some point last summer, realizing that money is being debased into oblivion and that all ties to reality have pretty much been cut at this point (re: asset prices are no longer bound by gravity and prices will keep getting stupider until the system itself  totally breaks down).  

To be honest, $25K+ on a NM #98 CGC 9.9 nowadays only rates about a 3/10 on the :insane: scale given what (some) stocks and (many) sports cards are doing these days. Oh wait, just saw that it's now at $35K...OK, now bumping that up to a 5/10.  But, still, nowhere in the realm of as crazy as so many things these days. 

HELL YEAH. Free money and collectible junk headed to the mfing MOON!!!

Eastbound And Down GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Whoever owns that 10 better get it listed ASAP. Would probably hit 75K to 100K

Hmmmm.....probably but if a .1 grade bump fetches 40× FMV I think the owner would be selling themselves short

I guess the tomb of Dracula 9.9 that sold for over 100k was the only book that made any sense

Edited by Hollywood1892

heh.. I sold that first 9.9 New Mutants 98 back in 2009 and this thread was born. It was the only one on the census at the time I believe. I was surprised to see it hit 12,250.00 back then, as were many on here. On the other hand, Pool has been one of my two favorite characters since his inception(still love you too Lobo). I'm not surprised by this sale at all. He's an incredibly popular character and while it was more than I expected it to hit...I'm not surprised, even if we weren't in the comics climate we are right now. In truth, I was going to attempt to buy it back last night since I had missed it but I ended up buying a hulk 1 7.5 instead. :luhv:. Sold my old 7.0 a few years back and missed that too but between the two books, I missed my Hulk more. 

Edited by Timeless icons

On 2/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, delekkerste said:

lol 

I'm not surprised. Anyone following my posts in The Water Cooler (the Gold/investment thread and the Bitcoin thread) for the past 6 months or so knows that I became very bearish on anything ever making sense again at some point last summer, realizing that money is being debased into oblivion and that all ties to reality have pretty much been cut at this point (re: asset prices are no longer bound by gravity and prices will keep getting stupider until the system itself  totally breaks down).  

To be honest, $25K+ on a NM #98 CGC 9.9 nowadays only rates about a 3/10 on the :insane: scale given what (some) stocks and (many) sports cards are doing these days. Oh wait, just saw that it's now at $35K...OK, now bumping that up to a 5/10.  But, still, nowhere in the realm of as crazy as so many things these days. 

Wait till I list my PSA 11 deadpool rookie card.

30 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

heh.. I sold that first 9.9 New Mutants 98 back in 2009 and this thread was born. It was the only one on the census at the time I believe. I was surprised to see it hit 12,250.00 back then, as were many on here. On the other hand, Pool has been one of my two favorite characters since his inception(still love you too Lobo). I'm not surprised by this sale at all. He's an incredibly popular character and while it was more than I expected it to hit...I'm not surprised, even if we weren't in the comics climate we are right now. In truth, I was going to attempt to buy it back last night since I had missed it but I ended up buying a hulk 1 7.5 instead. :luhv:. Sold my old 7.0 a few years back and missed that too but between the two books, I missed my Hulk more. 

Still a cool book hulk and deadpool ^^ at least you have a receipt of sale, to say, it was my submission, and/or, offer any graders notes on the next comiclink auction :devil: 

Still Congrats! and glad you had it and it served a purpose :whee: 

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still a cool book hulk and deadpool ^^ at least you have a receipt of sale, to say, it was my submission, and/or, offer any graders notes on the next comiclink auction :devil: 

Still Congrats! and glad you had it and it served a purpose :whee: 

I probably should have noted that. I actually bought the 9.9 from a seller on E-Bay as he was the owner before myself on the 9.9. The story was... I missed the auction and congratulated the winner and told them that if they ever decided to sell it, plz keep me in mind. True to their word, I'd guess a year or so later, they reached out to me on E-Bay and offered the book to me! I bought it without hesitation for under 1k at the time. I can say that at one point though, I was the only one with a copy in 9.9 :bigsmile:.  Yay! a 9.8 dressed up in a 9.9 guise. :roflmao:It made me happy at the time to have it so it served its purpose. :grin:

Thanks on the Congrats. I really am happy to have a Hulk back.