• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,218 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Also larger than my scanner's bed are Radio Guides from the 1930's.

These are typically fragile since the quality of paper used is a far cry from that of the Fortune magazines. That's the difference between 5¢ and $1 in cover price :o

725688535_RadioGuide-May181935.thumb.jpg.4a34f87581218718a411f2d11c9d09cd.jpg

They had some great covers in that title 

2 hours ago, wombat said:

You do get a little Frazetta with this one. Frank repainted the girl's face. 

Interesting! I've heard that about a lot of the vintage paperback covers from the 40's & 50's - an art director or top artist would "fix" the efforts of whoever was assigned if it wasn't quite what they wanted.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

You do get a little Frazetta with this one. Frank repainted the girl's face. 

Yep.  For any that doubt, I give you a close up of Egyptian Queen which Frazetta painted only a few months before.  Fun fact- Frazetta painted Egyptian Queen right around the same time as he painted the cover for Vampirella 1 (September 1969 publication date on both issues).  The guy was in the zone!

1134824404_ScreenShot2021-05-04at9_38_40PM.thumb.png.3b2dbf8336eaffd2811565cb4d236f5c.png

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Interesting! I've heard that about a lot of the vintage paperback covers from the 40's & 50's - an art director or top artist would "fix" the efforts of whoever was assigned if it wasn't quite what they wanted.

This one is a bit different. Ken Kelley is Frank Frazetta's nephew (through his wife) and was studying under Frank. This was going to be Ken's first cover and he showed it to Frank first. Frank didn't like the face and repainted it.