This week in your Magazine collection.
21 21

5,497 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, N e r V said:

9.4 with rust? WTF! :mad:

 

One of my recent mag purchases graded 9.6 wp has a sun shadow across the length of the bottom of the back cover. Grrrrrrr.  :censored: Not an acceptable flaw on a 9.6 to me ever. There was no back cover scan by the seller, or I would have passed. 

Edited by Stevemmg
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevemmg said:

One of my recent mag purchases graded 9.6 wp has a sun shadow across the length of the bottom of the back cover. Grrrrrrr.  :censored: Not an acceptable flaw on a 9.6 to me ever. There was no back cover scan by the seller. 

Unless it occurred after slabbing? People do some stupid things around books like spilling coke or letting cats pee on them so I wouldn’t be surprised either if they do dumb things with slabbed books as well like getting them some sun. Lol

Just a thought...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

A new addition.  These very early issues of the men's adventure magazines are unusually tough in high grade (but equally cool in their own right).  This is the second issue of Male, dated July 1950.  I think the cougar is my second favorite part of this cover.  The baby comes close but I'm going with the cougar.

2012224882_MaleMagazine_02_S.thumb.jpg.ec06854e974ade29f594294ed16731fc.jpg

I don’t think she’s old enough to be called that....:nyah:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chevalmeow said:

Last batch that I received today are these 4 from ebay.  The Castle of Frankenstein is an upgrade while the others are about FN copies that I needed for the collection.

2020-10-23-0007.thumb.jpg.996afd7fe0b168af2c6fa9b730092e50.jpg2020-10-23-0009.thumb.jpg.f5f5c62e865d227bf706754f9acf1bf4.jpg2020-10-23-0010.thumb.jpg.f8c88a51a2eaed856f8ca1873ae65bda.jpg2020-10-23-0011.thumb.jpg.12df98f89e7132e0892c47955cd6eb0e.jpg

You can always find gems in those old Castle of Frankenstein magazines. That issue contains a article on Hitchcock where he mentions having breakfast with H. G. Wells and discussing a possible film of War of the Worlds! Now that’s something I would have loved to see...

 

8186FEA4-D799-45B6-A335-0181F2996F58.thumb.jpeg.0c843e60e318fc4ba127ec83bca8425c.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

Finally found a copy of Berni Wrightson's Creatures Featured II.  Now the 1-4 set is complete.

2020-10-23-0001.thumb.jpg.6a6ad4f42b74b3fb06d9917da251f0c6.jpg

Dang, you did it to me again. More stuff I’ll need to hunt down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N e r V said:

You can always find gems in those old Castle of Frankenstein magazines. That issue contains a article on Hitchcock where he mentions having breakfast with H. G. Wells and discussing a possible film of War of the Worlds! Now that’s something I would have loved to see...

 

8186FEA4-D799-45B6-A335-0181F2996F58.thumb.jpeg.0c843e60e318fc4ba127ec83bca8425c.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Surprised That it was perfectly legible. Funny that Wells considered the story dated and Hitch agreed. Any mention, though, of Marnie now gives me the willies after watching the documentary a few years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Mo' purchases Mo' problems.   I bought these books on ebay and received them today.  I've attached the top three scans that were in the seller's listing, and then I've attached the books how they arrived.  All three of them appear to have issues that were not present in any of the pictures... I'm questioning if these are even the right copies of the books?  :pullhair:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

ybuqKx8.jpg
EwNfO9F.jpg
dDkxkm8.jpg

Generous (poor?) scanner or touched up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it has me very confused because there are certain aspects where there are similarities, for example the nightmare #9 bottom squarebound edge the paper appears to have folded over slightly and showing white paper which is also present in the seller's scan, but none of the color breaking is there on any of the edges.  Why put all that effort into touching up images, it would take 5-10 minutes per book at least just to blend things and this is a person with 11000 feedback so not a smart time investment.  If they were stock images you'd have to expect they would be misrepresented.  That top edge chipping with the color completely gone I don't know how anyone could think buyer's wouldn't notice it.  I also don't know how that could happen during transit if the shipper was at fault, I could see spine ticks being caused from sorting machines bending the package but color shouldn't just be disappearing.  It also couldn't dog ear corners.  Who knows.  I'll give the seller a chance to make it right, but he's not gonna like what I think they are worth.

Also I really like your Vampi #5, very hard to get that book without color rubbing off along the spine.

Edited by 90sChild
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
21 21