• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a $1,000 book, get a five year old polybag.

151 posts in this topic

eh, It doesn't matter what any one says the value is.

If it ended at $635 on eBay and was listed properly, $635 was fair market value, per the listing.

Thats nonsense. I guess Overstreet or GPA doesn't matter. If I buy a book for $10, thats its fair market value, right?

eh, It doesn't matter what any one says the value is.

If it ended at $635 on eBay and was listed properly, $635 was fair market value, per the listing.

Thats nonsense. I guess Overstreet or GPA doesn't matter. If I buy a book for $10, thats its fair market value, right?

Well...if you win it in a regular auction for $10, then...yeah.

;)

This is pizzing me off. A few of you are being :spoon: holes. The selling price has absolutley nothing to do with the point! The seller gave him a somewhat expensive book in a priority envelope! Ridiculous, stop derailing the effing thread already.

Just out the damned seller already. Lets really set this powder keg off!

This is pizzing me off. A few of you are being :spoon: holes. The selling price has absolutley nothing to do with the point! The seller gave him a somewhat expensive book in a priority envelope! Ridiculous, stop derailing the effing thread already.

A lot of angst in that post. You need to get out more.

All I care about is receiving the book I paid for, undamaged. If I get the book wrapped up in postmarked in Egyptian cotton, I don't care as long as it's undamaged, and I won't give it a second thought.

If, upon receiving an undamaged book, I wasn't thrilled with the manner in which it was shipped to me, then I'll either not buy from that seller again, or make sure to insist on different materials if I do. But being angry because a book that arrived safe *could* have been damaged in an envelope is ridiculous. Similarly, I can deal with spending a few cents to put the book in a better bag.

Life isn't that difficult.

But this way is so much more fun. :makepoint:

C'mon Pat, put on your dirty trenchcoat and light your cigar. All the info is readily available in a few posts in General.

I quit smoking and have never owned a trenchcoat :sumo:

You offering to take me out Dice?

Are you offering to go?

We should take this to PM :blush:

Only if you're uncomfortable.

Friends,Fugetaboutit :slapfight:

Will you please stop changing your damn avatar? :makepoint:

Are you offering to go?

Im not if your not :fear:

You probably should be.

Are you offering to go?

Friends,Fugetaboutit :slapfight:

Will you please stop changing your damn avatar? :makepoint:

F.F said it was too much like supapimp,and to change it.So I did (shrug)

honestly, i wouldn't expect a mylar/mylite, not everyone has those. yeah, a non-yucky looking polybag would be nice, but I've had some that got that weird wrinkliness to them like 6 months after I bagged the books, so it's hard to tell how old they are. I don't expect a fancy backing board, though with a book like that I would probably double or triple board the book with the regular coated boards I get from my shop or have sitting around.

as for a box, yeah, probably with a book like that though I have sent out $400-500 books in the flat rate envelope with REALLY sturdy 4-5 piece of cardboard, though in hindsight I probably should have used a box. i've never had a book damaged in a well-packed flat rate PM envelope though.

That you know of...,

I assume someone would say something if that had happened. I can box a book up all nice and such and if someone wants to toss it hard it might get damaged too.

Don't assume just since no one says something, it hasn't happened. I'm guessing the average damage rate on flat rate priority envelope shipped books is at least 25% - that's my win rate with sellers who do that to me. I rarely say anything unless I'm out-of-pocket quite a bit. I just don't order from them again.

I did recently bring this issue up with a boardie who had additional books I wanted - I wanted reassurance he would package correctly - he wouldn't commit, so I didn't order. His exact words were:

I am sorry for the previous packaging issues. I cannot guarantee that these books will arrive safe and sound. My intention is to package them well however I cannot be responsible for how they are tossed around once they leave.

Again, sorry for the whatever occurred in the past.

Isn't the thread title $365 off?

Anyways, I have received expensive books from Forumites in polybags and been surprised, but the books arrived safely so it wasn't an issue.

I'm suprised that people have issues with shipping in Mylars. I received plenty that way with no problems. Are we talking about a good old Mylite 2 with the flap creased, folded and taped? If anything, books are more snug and less likely to slide around inside one of those (barring a top loader of course) than in a polybag.

If I'm shipping a higher grade or pricey book, I generally ship in a Mylite 2 as described above with a half back or full back, and have never had a problem. That's how I have them stored and don't swap bags for shipping. Although on occasion I may have shipped books with sharp corners in polybags because I didn't want to risk blunting the edges by changing to a Mylar.

That you know of.

I have problems with snugs and oversized mylite2s.

The snugs because of the open tops - because the books launch themselves out the tops and into tape or whatever. If the books are placed in a secondary bag to prevent this, then it's fine.

One boardie who likes to use super GA-sized mylite2s for all his books had a $200 book returned from me that was trashed. The book was so loose in the mylite2 that it was whipped through the edge of the mylite2 (the long seams on both sides split) and wedged in the packing tape holding the cardboard sandwich together.