• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CENTAUR - Company, History, Employees, Characters and Stories

7 posts in this topic

I thought having a separate space on here to discuss Centaur stuff as a whole is a decent idea (instead of a bunch of little posts - nothing wrong with that mind you - FEEL FREE! lol).

I have also been thinking of making a Website dedicated to CENTAUR COMICS (Centaur Publishing and Comics Magazine Company, Inc.).

Since this is a collector's society. I am basically able to rub elbows with the cream of the crop insofar as accurate info goes directly from the Centaur Comics themselves.

Since I have joined this particular site it has helped only marshal my interest in all things Centaur.

Hopefully with MSU (Michigan State University) and their Centaur Material at the Special Archives division in the Library, It won't be necessary for me to pester you guys too much (Though likely I will! HEH!)

I possibly will be able to give a little justice and recognition to this long lost Company, the Creators who worked for it and the Characters.

I think I will start this off with a question of...

Where can I find the most concise history of the company itself?

Have one of the Posters here done something on that?

May I quote them? (I will acknowledge any and all who I quote and detail the source of the information).

I am not as UP on the "actual History" of the company as I probably should be. Doing this I aim to correct that.

If anyone can give me a heads up and a point in the right direction... I would be eternally grateful.

I am also looking for some missing/unknown characters and in some cases stories to fill the historical gaps of some of the Centaur Characters/Stories. Fortunately many of the Characters and Stories I now know - primarily due to Golden Age download sites. But there are some that are still missing.

Okay. Here is more.

These are the Centaur Characters or Stories of Interest.

Images, back-stories or even scans of these would be appreciated.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be of just as much help.

Anyhow... here is I think the shortlist (Wait til I get to the Detectives, police and Agents!)

COMIC (plus v=volume #=Issue Number) - Character or Story.

AMAZ ADV FUNNIES #2 - Sand Hog (reprinted)

DET EYE #2 - Don Rance and the Mysticape

MASKED MARVEL #1 - Gentlemen of Misfortune

MASKED MARVEL #2 - Kardo, the Monster Maker (reprinted)

MASKED MARVEL #2 - The Vampire (reprinted)

FUNNY PICTURE STORIES v1 1 - The Floating City (also appears in AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES v1 #4).

FANTOM #3 Zomba [hero gorilla?]

FUNNY PAGES v2 #5 - The Case of the Millionaire Playboy, Solved by The Master Mind.

FUNNY PAGES v4 #35 - Pluton the Great, the Earth Driller

COMIC PAGES v1 #2 - The Monster

Man

COMIC PAGES v1 #5 - Jay Douglas, in a Prehistoric World.

Jay Douglas also appears in reprint AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES v1 #4. It is also wholly possible the Jay Douglas stories that appeared in AMC may be broken up reprints.

COMIC PAGES v1 #6 - The Isle of Mystery

FUNNY PICTURE STORIES / COMIC PAGES v3 #4 - In Quest of the Zozosaurus

STAR COMICS v2 #7 - Jungle Queen

KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES v2 #4 - The Master Mind (Possible this is a reprint from FP v2#5)

AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES v2 #10 - Crime tracking Televisor

KEEN KOMICS v2 #1 - Bob Phantom (I assume this is a comedy thing... but you never know. The Clock didn't have a huge page count when it ran in Funny Pages).

KEEN KOMICS v2 #2 - The Forbidden Idol of Machu Picchu

MASKED MARVEL #2 - Kardo, the Monster Maker

Sorry if I replicated anything in the above list. just go with the flow people.

ANY and all help is appreciated.

Then hopefully I can get as definitive of a CENTAUR Web-site going as I can.

Okay. Well this works for an intro.

There will be more you can be sure.

Thanks people!

Keep it Four Colors always!

G7/Les

Hopefully with MSU (Michigan State University) and their Centaur Material at the Special Archives division in the Library, It won't be necessary for me to pester you guys too much (Though likely I will! HEH!)

Interesting. Is there any historical data / records there aside from the actual comics?

markseifert - I haven't actually had the pleasure of checking. I have been kind of busy seeing what they have available for me to reference from the solid Material. Including a nice handful of actual Centaur Comics (see my recent description of them handing me Keen Detective Funnies #22 in the Massive Centaur Post here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4284567#Post4284567).

I am sure I will most likely see what all they have.

Unfortunately sometimes it costs to reprint the stuff (whether it be digital or by simple copy machine). The other unfortunate thing is most of the stuff is on Microfiche... which means it is in B&W. I can deal with that. All I need is one color image of the character(s) to fill in the gaps.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bunky Brian - that entire CENTAUR post is continuing to be such a wonderful read. I am coming across all kinds of both solid info and great little snippets!

jbcomicbox - Yeah that is one serious article JB. I have seen that in the past. I assumed then and I am pretty sure that his every statement is fact (or as factual as some things can be 65+ yrs later).

TheHumanTorch - Isn't it just utterly impressive?

So as always. Any help (such as the above) is ultimately appreciated!

G7/Les

Howard Keltner did a great service with this life long project...

http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

jb

I was unaware a more complete index existed! I must have Howard's older index - much smaller. Before Gerber/CBM, Howard's Index and Jerry's Collector's Guide were one of the few sources of info on GA comics/characters! Thanks for sharing.