• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 6*

327 posts in this topic

On second viewing, I actually think I overgraded this one. :tonofbricks:

This comic is the toughest one so far, as without actual book in hand, it is almost impossible to tell what the CGC grade would be.

We're all taking "educated guesses" on this one so don't feel bad.

This comic is the toughest one so far, as without actual book in hand, it is almost impossible to tell what the CGC grade would be.

What is clear is that this game is not about grading the comic, it's about trying to figure out which defects are changed by the scanner.

Even the wrong grade guesses are still great guesses. They just happen to be based on defects that people think they see.

What is clear is that this game is not about grading the comic, it's about trying to figure out which defects are changed by the scanner.

Even the wrong grade guesses are still great guesses. They just happen to be based on defects that people think they see.

Roy, seriously give up on the scanner thing could you? Look how many people went 9.6/9.8 on the last round. Even 9.9. You obviously convinced yourself something was there that wasn't, while the majority didn't.

Maybe it's your monitor.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the scans, if I sub a duff grade it just proves I don't know what I'm talking about.

Roy, seriously give up on the scanner thing could you? Look how many people went 9.6/9.8 on the last round. Even 9.9. You obviously convinced yourself something was there that wasn't, while the majority didn't.

Maybe it's your monitor.

Obviously I can only go by what I see on my screen.

From what I remember, without going back to read who it was, there were at least two other board members besides me who thought they saw a tear on the back cover. Dice and someone else.

Maybe me and the other two guys who saw the tear all have the same monitors? Possible but not likely. I'm using a new Toshiba laptop since my old one was trashed last month.

Look at the book below...since I have yet to see a CGC 8.5 book with a 1.5" long spine stress (if you look closely you can see that it almost goes to to the edge of Warlock's wrist/gauntlet, past his thumb), 11 other spine stresses, 2 corner creases in the top right and 2 corner creases on the bottom right I have to conclude that either Mark Haspel is grading the books with his eyes closed or that the scanner is scanning the book differently than my naked eye would.

Or yes, that my screen is showing me things that you don't see. Are you able to see the long spine stress that I see?

(shrug)

So if we are not allowed to ask clarifying questions about the defects, and are only grading based on what we can see in a scan and the fact that DrWatson has already admitted that these books (especially black) scan differently than they appear in person then what other conclusion is there?

marvelPremire1f.jpg

Maybe it's your monitor.

Obviously I can only go by what I see on my screen.

From what I remember, without going back to read who it was, there were at least two other board members besides me who thought they saw a tear on the back cover. Dice and someone else.

Maybe me and the other two guys who saw the tear all have the same monitors? Possible but not likely. I'm using a new Toshiba laptop since my old one was trashed last month.

Look at the book below...since I have yet to see a CGC 8.5 book with a 1.5" long spine stress (if you look closely you can see that it almost goes to to the edge of Warlock's wrist/gauntlet, past his thumb), 11 other spine stresses, 2 corner creases in the top right and 2 corner creases on the bottom right I have to conclude that either Mark Haspel is grading the books with his eyes closed or that the scanner is scanning the book differently than my naked eye would.

Or yes, that my screen is showing me things that you don't see. Are you able to see the long spine stress that I see?

(shrug)

So if we are not allowed to ask clarifying questions about the defects, and are only grading based on what we can see in a scan and the fact that DrWatson has already admitted that these books (especially black) scan differently than they appear in person then what other conclusion is there?

I could see the crease on that book, I wouldn't grade it an 8.5 either. In fact I didn't.

But regarding the phantom tear on the SW #8, only a couple of people seeing it versus the majority not seeing it surely says something? And to me it's not the scans.

But regarding the phantom tear on the SW #8, only a couple of people seeing it versus the majority not seeing it surely says something? And to me it's not the scans.

Sure, it's not just the scans. It's also trying to figure out when the wily group running the contest is having a bit of fun with us.

If you're unable to get clarification on every small detail then it comes down to an educated guess based on the scan.

Just for the sake of discussion (because I am more interested in what people see than the actual grade of the book) does everyone see the defects that I have highlighted in red?

marvelPremire1f.jpg

Just for the sake of discussion (because I am more interested in what people see than the actual grade of the book) does everyone see the defects that I have highlighted in red?

Yup. But I think that at least a few of those are so negligible that they likely aren't visible in hand, especially the ones you pointed out on the outside edge.

to me, the bottom right corner's flaws that you pointed out is more production related so I ignored them.

the top left cover non color breaking stress points were small enough that i ignored them also.

the rest of the flaws I did considered and gave the book the 8.0 that I think it should be.

to me, the bottom right corner's flaws that you pointed out is more production related so I ignored them.

the top left cover non color breaking stress points were small enough that i ignored them also.

the rest of the flaws I did considered and gave the book the 8.0 that I think it should be.

I did see all those points in the original scan and gave the book a grade of 7.0,it certainly is not an 8.5

From what I can see, the spine stress near Warlock's hand extends almost to the right edge of the black border. Not beyond. There's a second smaller stress at the left edge of Warlock's thumb.

Could be.