• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Storing Comics in Safes
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Been using EVA-dry products for years in my safes.  Never had an issue with rust, although I've used more than one in each safe just to be sure.  I have large gun safe that is not airtight and one fire safe that *is* airtight.  I used the E300s in all of them. 

Please note, the company seemed to have changed the color scheme to work in reverse now.  Before "Blue" was dry and "Pink" was wet.  Now it's the other way around.  They changed the labeling of course so it's clear to the user, but if you're using a combination of older/newer units like I am, it can be visually confusing. 

1 hour ago, zupaphly said:

Anytime this thread gets revived it freaks me out, and makes me want to go check on my safety deposit box... 

Safety deposit boxes are insured but the items cannot be replaced.

Only reason I bring this up us because couple of years ago in NY there was an overnight/overweekend bank job - they raided a bunch of depo boxes and whatever valuables were inside were gone unless recovered. Doubt this happens often but was just interesting.

I don't trust banks. Biggest racket there is

On 10/2/2017 at 10:46 AM, Ryanfromottawa said:

Has anyone run into or heard of any problems regarding humity adversely affecting books as a result of them being stored in a safety deposit box? If so what are the precautions that should be taken to avoid this?

That's what I use and I haven't had a problem even though I live in area that goes through significant swings in temperature and humidity across the year.  When this issue has been discussed before, someone suggested asking your bank if they keep the air conditioning on during nights and weekends.  Mine says it does, but who knows what they really do?

With respect to safes v. safety deposit boxes in banks, you do run the risk with a safe of calling attention to the fact that you probably have something valuable inside.  The average druggie looking for something to grab and run with will be deterred but someone more professional presumably will be able to get in.  Smaller safes, of course, can also be carried away.

But, then again, if you keep your books in a safe, you've got them available to look at without the hassle of driving to the bank.

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That's what I use and I haven't had a problem even though I live in area that goes through significant swings in temperature and humidity across the year.  When this issue has been discussed before, someone suggested asking your bank if they keep the air conditioning on during nights and weekends.  Mine says it does, but who knows what they really do?

With respect to safes v. safety deposit boxes in banks, you do run the risk with a safe of calling attention to the fact that you probably have something valuable inside.  The average druggie looking for something to grab and run with will be deterred but someone more professional presumably will be able to get in.  Smaller safes, of course, can also be carried away.

But, then again, if you keep your books in a safe, you've got them available to look at without the hassle of driving to the bank.

i ended up ordering a bunch of stuff from Eva-dry , including Color changing silica gel packs for my deposit boxes https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/e-150-moisture-eliminator-pouches better safe than sorry , and I figure it’s a good habit to get into . 

As far as the safes vs deposit boxes goes, I’m opposed to keeping the higher end ones at home mainly for security reasons. I agree that the safe itself paints an immediate bullseye on itself in the event of a burglary.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:55 PM, Sqeggs said:

+1

Definitely a good question to be asking the bank.

Especially with some of the smaller bank branches since many of these would probably be trying to cut down on their costs.  I believe the big head office branches of the banks would be a much safer bet since they keep a lot of their own paperwork along with other companies paperwork in the safety deposit boxes, and hence pretty much a requirement to keep the vaults air conditioned at night and during the weekends.  hm

Ok, hoping so at least.  :wishluck:

On 10/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, Ryanfromottawa said:

i ended up ordering a bunch of stuff from Eva-dry , including Color changing silica gel packs for my deposit boxes https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/e-150-moisture-eliminator-pouches better safe than sorry , and I figure it’s a good habit to get into . 

As far as the safes vs deposit boxes goes, I’m opposed to keeping the higher end ones at home mainly for security reasons. I agree that the safe itself paints an immediate bullseye on itself in the event of a burglary.

Of course there's always the possibility placing the safe in a closet & building a casing around it with a locked door built in the casing. Painting it black. It wouldn't be spotted right away + has another lock on it. Hooray for the handyman!

On 10/17/2017 at 1:19 PM, SECollector said:

Tell me about it. I discovered this thread after I purchased my small fireproof safe. I believe however that there should be no issue if the humidity is monitored regularly and controlled by a dehumidifier. I suspect that the damage in this horror-story was caused by another factor, as stated in the first thread "The apparent corrosive appearance of the staples suffered on some of my CGC books may just have been typical advanced rust decay -- or even possibly an additional unknown reaction to the air-freshener I also had within my safe but did not consider to be relevant at the time."

This is my simple set-up: I use a pretty small safe, that holds however at least 30 slabs, along with a digital hygrometer, that registers also min and max values of humidity (and temperature) and I keep inside an Eva-Dry dehumidifier that I check a couple of times a week. I may actually add another one, even if the humidity is pretty good with this one (usually at around 37-38, but I have a max value at around 45).

Anyway, this works probably better than a CGC box. And definitely much better than a safe deposit box in the bank for me, since I really enjoy having my books around :-)

Just curious how often do you have to plug in your dehumidifier to dry it out? I only used mine (Eva dry-333) around 11 days before beads turned green & I had to plug them in.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious how often do you have to plug in your dehumidifier to dry it out? I only used mine (Eva dry-333) around 11 days before beads turned green & I had to plug them in.

I will need to get back to you. I have used it for about a couple of weeks and I haven't needed to plug it in. 

For a safe at your home, purchase a dry rod dehumidifier and install it in your safe.  If plugs in and burns off the humidity in the air continiously.  Works well and you never have to do anything to it.  I have 1200 lbs gun safe with 2 of them in it.  It is a plug and play solution to the issue.  I live in a very humid environment and they take care of the situation.

Edited by Lucky Baru