• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the rarest magazine you own?

237 posts in this topic

I was impressed, but at the time still sad because I did not bid (and thus allowing you to win for a good price! lol ).

Kidding apart, I would have loved to pick this one at the time, as I was very much into Lev Gleason. (thumbs u

I have one too. I posted mine on the golden age section last year but no one was impressed! lol

crooks001.jpg

Not sure how rare these are, but they are seldom found. Not the most desirable Curtis/Marvel magazine for most :)

_Image0112.jpg

- bounty

Amazing piece. :applause:

I'm reading the definitive history of Hitler right now: Alan Bullock's "Hitler: A Study In Tyranny."

Good stuff.

Traudl Junge's biography is also a good read, if available in english.

It’s very interesting as all events are shown in progress since the beginning through his secretary's eyes. :)

It must be these - both are the single highest graded (one also pedigree, the other CVA, both perfect WP):

photo 02092011513 2_zps2m9z5ttw.jpg

photo 150220132221_zpsht4j2kxs.jpg

(of course these magazines are only rare in their grade, otherwise they are common magazines)

Love that Conan # 9 cover.

It's also close to my favorite magazine cover - would be amazing to one day own an original Vallejo cover :cloud9: , but they tend to sell for 20k or more - did find this on the web, guess it'll have to do ;)

photo xxm_ua_zps4wfuyujg.jpg

(Colors seem faded on the original, I tried to enhance the above picture to get the blacks back, still it does not really look like the original, when it was just painted... I do keep my Savage Sword #9 in a dark room with close to constant low temp and humidity)

This post is slightly off topic, I hope I can be forgiven :sorry:

Without doubt, this new acquisition is the rarest magazine I own. At long last, I acquired the holdout that has been preventing me from completing the EC Picto-Fiction titles...the Shock Illustrated #3 eludes me no more...thanks, Boardie!

shockillustrated3_f.jpg

mysecret.jpg

I don't own this but I thought it would be of interest.

This was brought to my attention today. The content looks more outrageous than the first issue.

Phil

lol! Everytime I see that chick in that pose, I think if Rob Liefeld's extreme opposite.

155469.jpg.07aabd953d0d6b86202ed46ba9518f6f.jpg

Without doubt, this new acquisition is the rarest magazine I own. At long last, I acquired the holdout that has been preventing me from completing the EC Picto-Fiction titles...the Shock Illustrated #3 eludes me no more...thanks, Boardie!

shockillustrated3_f.jpg

That's the best... A feather in the cap of any EC collector for certain...

Insanely cool my friend. (worship)
They look like comic books, but technically they are mags...I guess

118 years old,damn! Just think where those books have been,and finally made its way to you.

Those are so nice and white for their age, congrats! :applause:
I read somewhere once that way back when, the quality of paper that was made and used had an actual cotton fiber content. I have seen old news papers from the 1800s of this material. Its not like cheap newspaper paper used through out the golden age. I think these YKs are of that higher quality cotton raglin. They are so supple and exhibit qualities unlike comics half their age. They dont make'm like they used to.

Those are so nice and white for their age, congrats! :applause:
I read somewhere once that way back when, the quality of paper that was made and used had an actual cotton fiber content. I have seen old news papers from the 1800s of this material. Its not like cheap newspaper paper used through out the golden age. I think these YKs are of that higher quality cotton raglin. They are so supple and exhibit qualities unlike comics half their age. They dont make'm like they used to.

I have an assortment of New York Times sunday inserts from the 1910s or so (a lot of WW I stuff, sports, etc.)...they were printed on a slicker paper and had photographs and more illustrations than the rest of the paper and they are still nice and supple, not brittle at all.

I've had these issues for several years and think I am only missing one. GCD only lists 7 issues for the series but I think it is possible there might be another one. One of the ones listed has a placeholder cover from ebay. Anyone have any missing issues? Late 1950s Charlton adult humor mags. The Elvis cover is comic size but 68 pages.

Pfb0cO.jpg

10OpOk.jpg

TrLigs.jpg

ZnUGGN.jpg

DOwrAh.jpg

rq89tn.jpg