• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

Fantastic report.

My 2 cents: Comic Link needs to go bye-bye. Hopefully another comic online site will take their spot.

And if you are either reading this, C Link, or those Cal-hating unemployed fanboys with too much time on their hands forward my post to you - stop sending me catalogs. A waste of paper. save a tree, save my time, send to someone else.

CAL just won't forget - ever

I like the free catalogs from HA - I can get $20 - $25 for them locally at shows. lol

Well...I've got a bunch of them. Didn't know they were worth that much..Mercy!

I can see how you could think that Roy, but I think it is less about a difference in personalities than something more base. Instead, I perceive that Bob Storms shows up at the shows and treats it like a complete business. He wants to sell books, as does every dealer at a show. The difference between him and other dealers is that he wears his wanting to sell (or displeasure at someone not purchasing) on his sleeve.

Me too.

I mean this post in the most positive way, so hopefully nobody takes it as a poke at them (or that I am trying to be an apologist for Bob). The main reason for posting this is to show how differently we see each other:

What I find interesting about both EffEffBee's post and pennynike1's post is that I have had trouble getting along with both of them in the past online (I think I had it out with both of them at one point somewhere on here) and both of you found Bob to be gruff in person and yet I've never had anything but fairly easy exchanges with Bob in person.

Me and Alex (pennynike1) get along now (we've met in person several times since, I've never met Scott) but I think this just goes to show that one person's perception of a person being gruff is sometimes not the case for everyone.

That tells me that people can similarly seem to conflict with other personalities when interacting making the gruffness just be a personality perception very much like it happens here online. People hear or see what they perceive to be one thing and act on it when something entirely different is actually happening.

That's where a majority of complaints seem to stem from when people talk about personal interactions on these boards.

Thought that was interesting enough to be brought up in this thread.

I can see how you could think that Roy, but I think it is less about a difference in personalities than something more base. Instead, I perceive that Bob Storms shows up at the shows and treats it like a complete business. He wants to sell books, as does every dealer at a show. The difference between him and other dealers is that he wears his wanting to sell on his sleeve.

Me too.

I mean this post in the most positive way, so hopefully nobody takes it as a poke at them (or that I am trying to be an apologist for Bob). The main reason for posting this is to show how differently we see each other:

What I find interesting about both EffEffBee's post and pennynike1's post is that I have had trouble getting along with both of them in the past online (I think I had it out with both of them at one point somewhere on here) and both of you found Bob to be gruff in person and yet I've never had anything but fairly easy exchanges with Bob in person.

Me and Alex (pennynike1) get along now (we've met in person several times since, I've never met Scott) but I think this just goes to show that one person's perception of a person being gruff is sometimes not the case for everyone.

That tells me that people can similarly seem to conflict with other personalities when interacting making the gruffness just be a personality perception very much like it happens here online. People hear or see what they perceive to be one thing and act on it when something entirely different is actually happening.

That's where a majority of complaints seem to stem from when people talk about personal interactions on these boards.

Interesting.

Some of the most fun I've ever had (I mean those laugh out loud uncontrollably riotous moments) were in Bob Storm's booth. I mean his ribbing of cgcworld in Philly for hanging out with Dale last month was classic.

:roflmao:

Having spent some time on the opposite side of the table now I can say that it's nerve wracking trying to keep a happy face on, keep your books from getting stolen and trying to answer a zillion questions at a show.

It almost reminds me of getting married where by the end of the day no matter how great of an event it is you tire of it.

lol

Personally, Lou and I think Bob is the hardest working guy in comics. He treats it like a 1st class business every step of the way, but he's got a side to him that is sometimes hard to find at a show when there is a billions thing on the go at a show. Still, it's there once you work your way past "bad Bob".

;)

Going to see you in Chicago this year?

Yeah, I will be there again this year Roy. Are you going to be set up at your own booth like in San Diego? It sounds like you have a great time at shows and I am glad to hear that Bob cuts loose once in a while.

Hope to see you there (thumbs u

Yeah, I will be there again this year Roy. Are you going to be set up at your own booth like in San Diego? It sounds like you have a great time at shows and I am glad to hear that Bob cuts loose once in a while.

At the expense of getting laughed at by all the seasoned veterans, I'm still recovering from SD so Chicago is a no for set up but we'll see you there on the floor.

I'm going to be at Fan Expo two weeks after and NYC in October though.

Now if we could only get Scott out to an East coast show so I can finally meet him.

:devil:

I can see how you could think that Roy, but I think it is less about a difference in personalities than something more base. Instead, I perceive that Bob Storms shows up at the shows and treats it like a complete business. He wants to sell books, as does every dealer at a show. The difference between him and other dealers is that he wears his wanting to sell on his sleeve.

Me too.

Interesting.

Some of the most fun I've ever had (I mean those laugh out loud uncontrollably riotous moments) were in Bob Storm's booth. I mean his ribbing of cgcworld in Philly for hanging out with Dale last month was classic.

:roflmao:

Having spent some time on the opposite side of the table now I can say that it's nerve wracking trying to keep a happy face on, keep your books from getting stolen and trying to answer a zillion questions at a show.

It almost reminds me of getting married where by the end of the day no matter how great of an event it is you tire of it.

lol

Personally, Lou and I think Bob is the hardest working guy in comics. He treats it like a 1st class business every step of the way, but he's got a side to him that is sometimes hard to find at a show when there is a billions thing on the go at a show. Still, it's there once you work your way past "bad Bob".

;)

Going to see you in Chicago this year?

My opinion probably means very little around here,but Bob is the greatest guy to talk to at shows.I don't understand anyone who says he's gruff,just a very pleasant,funny and always wants to help you find any book you want.

:baiting:

Can't make it for setup?

Marshmallow!

Remind me to bring the Fluffer Nutter to the show!

One Sunday you had to get up for setup and you need 2 weeks to recover.

It's actually all Lou's fault. She's high maintenance.

:whistle:

Not really, but she lets me say that.

Can't make it for setup?

Marshmallow!

You are the high maintenance one, Rhinestone T-Shirt Lad.

My opinion probably means very little around here,but Bob is the greatest guy to talk to at shows.I don't understand anyone who says he's gruff,just a very pleasant,funny and always wants to help you find any book you want.

I find that second chances go a long way.

Sometimes initial perceptions can be deceiving and going that extra mile to get to know someone can make all the positive difference in every aspect of life.

Can't make it for setup?

Marshmallow!

You are the high maintenance one, Rhinestone T-Shirt Lad.

:acclaim:

You love me.

I kinda like you too.

:blush:

Number 1: Metropolis Comics, Owners Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo, New York, New York

Pros: I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here. How can you pick Metropolis #1 again? They are the devil! Fishler is evil! They overgrade all their books! They're too expensive! They ship too slow! They don't immediately return my phone calls and emails! Vinny was a jerk to me! Fishler screwed me!

Folks, I am well aware of these individual complaints. And one thing is crystal clear, Metropolis is the #1 dealer in comics. It's not even close. Not -- Even -- Close. They may not be your favorite dealer and you personally may not want to deal with them, but when you look at what they sell, how many clients they have, their reputation broadly amongst the public, and the notoriety they have gained, it's a no brainer.

They are the number one go to source to sell or buy the most important book in the hobby, Action Comics #1.

They uncovered one of the most impressive GA finds in recent memory, the Atlantic City collection.

They (whether you like or don't like the pedigree) found the Suscha news pedigree this year.

On any given day you can walk into their offices and they are literally overwhelmed with collections, high grade material and boxes of gold, silver and bronze age.

If you had a huge book, like an Action #1 or Tec 27, I think it's unquestionable (unless you had a personal issue) that you'd have to consider Metropolis as one of the first sources to sell a major key.

They're the only dealer with a sizable, established auction house in addition to what is likely, the largest inventory of vintage material that exists.

I know it will pain some people to acknowledge it, but to me, the facts are clear. Metropolis sits at #1.

Cons: There is always room for improvement, and for Metro it always revolves around the same things: customer service, pricing, and personal interaction with even "the little guy". I think a lot of folks feel ignored by Metro because they don't spend $10k for a book. I'm sure there is a "prioritization" of customers, as there is in any business. Metro seems to engender more controversy and ill will than is probably fair, but some of the criticisms are.

Bottom Line: The best there is at what they do.

Being the biggest, doesn't make them the best. You acknowledge the complaints that have been voiced by so many collectors, even giving it validity. But then turn around and say that "they are the best at what they do" is a contradiction.

Inaccurate grading (something I've personally experienced), higher than market values on common books (ditto) and poor customer service are not exactly selling points. These are not small faults like a misunderstanding or the ever present threat of "wheels are in motion".

While I realize that they have extensive customer base, even catering to the "celebrity client" is one of their bragging rights, it doesn't excuse bad behavior to those people buying books less than 5 figures.

I have nothing against Metro and while I don't know Fischler personally, I like Vinnie. We've had some nice chats at shows and I have no ax to grind.

Bob Storms in my opinion is the best dealer out there. Honest to the ninth degree, tons of incredible books, super tight grading and super easy to deal. I've been treated no different whether I am buying a big book or a small unslabbed Bronze age filler. These are things that matter. Sure he doesn't have the depth of DCs that I wish he did, but he ALWAYS has something I need/want.

I applaud you including World Wide. I look at their site every day and am amazed at the scope of their selection. Giving modern and copper age books the same priority as Golden and Silver is one of their best practices. I agree about the shilling stuff, but it's difficult to ignore their impact in such an overcrowded market.

The other thing about your ranking is the listing of Heritage and Comic Link. They aren't dealers. Josh and Co. are mostly middle men who provide a service and while I am with you a 1000% with Josh's vision. I have also said the same thing, "he did something anyone could have, but didn't".

Heritage isn't a dealer in my opinion. They are providing an avenue for people to sell their material and they charge a fee. Just like Comic Link...just like Ebay. If Heritage is included, why not EBay ? -

Thanks for the great thread Brian. I enjoyed reading it and your reasons for including the dealers, even if I don't agree with a couple choices.

Number 1: Metropolis Comics, Owners Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo, New York, New York

Pros: I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here. How can you pick Metropolis #1 again? They are the devil! Fishler is evil! They overgrade all their books! They're too expensive! They ship too slow! They don't immediately return my phone calls and emails!

Being the biggest, doesn't make them the best.

This is absolutely true,...why would you want to rank a dealer who constantly overgrades and overprices as a #1 dealer,....Yes they would be one of the top 3 logical dealers to sell or buy an Action #1, But Brian 99.99 % of the collectors here won't ever have to worry about that problem,...they might want to buy an Action #300 though that is graded and priced correctly,...so I can't follow your train of logic as to why they should come out on top,...

At the expense of getting laughed at by all the seasoned veterans, I'm still recovering from SD so Chicago is a no for set up but we'll see you there on the floor.

I'm going to be at Fan Expo two weeks after and NYC in October though.

Now if we could only get Scott out to an East coast show so I can finally meet him.

:devil:

:preach: Master Kan: When you can snatch a buyer from John Verzyl's hand you will be a seasoned veteran, Grasshopper. (thumbs u

Ok, I see where this is going.

I'm not taking credit for the below but a good friend sent me this.

I realize that Highgradecomics.com at shows has become like a catered party.

It could be like the post below :devil:

It would hilarious to hire Pat (the resurrection) with a list at the front of your booth and when guys try to come behind the booth, hold up cowboy, let me check the list... no, you're not on it. But I know Bob! Sorry... you didn't make it this time.

+1

Bob has New Yawk bluntness, but I've always found him to be anything but gruff.