• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

I disagree completely. It would have had a good run regardless. It had a good story and a following. Image stuff was hot then anyway. Did walking dead even have a big print run then anyway? That didn't start until about 20 issues later. It wasn't anywhere near the height of popularity.

Guess we'll have to disagree.  To be clear, I was a Chew fan from day 1 and until it ended.   Met the creators on many occasion, which is a rarity for me anymore.

My point is that the big following occurred as a result of being a preview in Walking Dead.  WD was definitely popular at that time.  

The print run of the 1st was so low that most stores were lucky to have a couple copies.  

Patrick

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

Cool cover. Still waiting for Venom vs Carnage #1 2004 to pop and become a $100 alone. An awesome story and art. Something art-wise we hadn’t seen before. 

I guess, I was just surprised that it's selling higher than some 25-27 issues.

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Guess we'll have to disagree.  To be clear, I was a Chew fan from day 1 and until it ended.   Met the creators on many occasion, which is a rarity for me anymore.

My point is that the big following occurred as a result of being a preview in Walking Dead.  WD was definitely popular at that time.  

The print run of the 1st was so low that most stores were lucky to have a couple copies.  

Patrick

Walking Dead was popular. It was nowhere near the height of its popularity. WD 61 was the 84th most popular comic that month according to comichron and did not even sell 24,000 copies, at least via Diamond (the next month Chew was like #246, just ahead of Usaji, and supposedly sold under 6,000 copies, which makes me think comichron isn't reporting everything, because I've read 13,000, but I have no idea where that came from). There's a reason why those WD books in the 60s popped, even if comichron's numbers are low, there still weren't that many of them. Look at invincible during that period, only 15K in sales, that whole period is full of low print run books that could pop if there's any interest in them. Chew is kind of dead now (although #1 still sells for a lot)... although this auction is weird: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEW-1-2-3-4-5-6-1ST-TONY-CHU-1st-Print-Image-Comics-Ave-NM-Grade-/143976433504?hash=item2185aa0760%3Ag%3A2gsAAOSwXh5gS-mO&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  Am I missing something? The #1 is mid-grade, I suppose that is it?

Anyway, according to comichron, it took a while for there to be much of a following at all, which surprises me. It seemed like the book got pretty hot after a couple of issues.

Edited by the blob

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

Walking Dead was popular. It was nowhere near the height of its popularity. WD 61 was the 84th most popular comic that month according to comichron and did not even sell 24,000 copies, at least via Diamond (the next month Chew was like #246, just ahead of Usaji, and supposedly sold under 6,000 copies, which makes me think comichron isn't reporting everything). There's a reason why those WD books in the 60s popped, even if comichron's numbers are low, there still weren't that many of them. Look at invincible during that period, only 15K in sales, that whole period is full of low print run books that could pop if there's any interest in them. Chew is kind of dead now (although #1 still sells for a lot)... although this auction is weird: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEW-1-2-3-4-5-6-1ST-TONY-CHU-1st-Print-Image-Comics-Ave-NM-Grade-/143976433504?hash=item2185aa0760%3Ag%3A2gsAAOSwXh5gS-mO&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  Am I missing something? The #1 is mid-grade, I suppose that is it?

Seems like a good deal to me.  Likely because Chew prices are depressed.  

Appears to be a legit non-Mexico #1.  

Patrick 

16 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Seems like a good deal to me.  Likely because Chew prices are depressed.  

Appears to be a legit non-Mexico #1.  

Patrick 

All the other sales are for a chunk more. I don't think they're that depressed, this voldy 9.8 sold for $425: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chew-1-CBCS-9-8-NOT-CGC-First-Print-1st-Appearance-Tony-Chu-Image-Comics-/193605899204?hash=item2d13cf93c4%3Ag%3AUG8AAOSw6vtfJP47&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 and this cgc went for $475: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEW-1-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1ST-FULL-APPEARANCE-TONY-CHU-2009-/303908109237?hash=item46c255bbb5%3Ag%3AE3EAAOSwQndgQO28&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  I don't remember where they once were, I suppose it used to be double that?

6 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

That article was incomprehensible. Who are we talking about. Wolverine?

Heard rumors of Gambit....based on speculation though afaik. Something about a quote Anthony Mackie said in an interview, the fact that theres a New Orleans connection on the show, and maybe some other minor things. 

Is "You Promised Me darkness #1" out in the US?

It's selling for multiples of cover but there's none in the UK (yet?)

This has happened a few times due to covid delays, UK gets books a week or 2 later than U.S

13 hours ago, the blob said:

would customers like it if the main story was 48 pages? I am trying to get into the mindset, obviously nobody is buying a stack of $4.99 comics viewing them as potential resale candidates. sure, one might be one day, and a specific issue might get sold out for that reason, but i am ssuming they buy them for the stories and such and out of habit?

I think that more people would buy these if the main story was a few pages longer, but my customers don't care about the back-up stories. The $4.99 Marvel books sell much better than the DC ones.

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Are online sales helping you any?

Not that much. Most of our online sales are toys. Then we sell a few trades but people prefer buying single issues in store.

10 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Yowser. Invincible and Harley, huh? How'd he like the Saw franchise?

He asked me which one I thought was more inappropriate and gorey. I said Invincibe becase the blood in HQ is more cartoony and comedic. He won't watch real horror movies. He keeps his eyes averted and headphones in listening to something else when we watch Walking Dead or Supernatural.

Gojira - I have two speeding tickets from France from a 2013 visit that I did not get in the mail until 2014. Do you think they will be out of the system if we visit in 2022? My French relatives and friends think they are long gone from the system, but I am soliciting opinions. Also, where is your shop in Paris? I visited one in a central business area that had a second floor, but my wife was impatient and wouldn't let me snoop around long. Having a toddler in tow usually results in that. 

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:
5 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Rogen is also an Exec Producer on INVINCIBLE. 

I wish I could watch Invincible.  So bad.  

Sounds like people are liking it so far. 

Patrick 

Interesting. I have not read the comic but I really enjoy the show so far. And that seems to be the consensus.

You have issues with it?

12 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I wish I could watch Invincible.  So bad.  

Sounds like people are liking it so far. 

Patrick 

You don't have Amazon Prime? It pays for itself pretty quickly with the free shipping and the free TV is a nice bonus between Invincibe, The Boys, and several other good shows on Prime.. particularly if you have a wife who orders way too much krap. As an added bonus I re-use many of the amazon boxes for shipping.