Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
110 110

50,207 posts in this topic

143 posts
24 minutes ago, darkstar said:

If you read my posts from the beginning I'm not addressing the value of the books. I am speaking to the content of the books so that other people can reach their own conclusions. Cameo/full appearance speaks to the extent to which a character is first depicted in sequential art within the context of a story. The Jane Foster iteration of Thor is depicted LESS in a LATER book - Thor #1 - than she is in God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a cameo designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in the earlier God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a full appearance designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in God of Thunder #25. 

The fact that Thor #1 is selling for more should surprise no one, as it is a #1 issue, and the cover image has been attached to every article about Marvel's movie announcements that has been published by every major and minor publication. 

The What If book is not a modern, thus I am not discussing it here.

Valid points and there are more than a few very popular books in which I'm perplexed about the designations of  "cameo and first full".

Thing is at the end of the day I've learned to accept the politics of it all.

Market literally plays a big part and that's how it seems to go.

I can resist all I wish and it will change nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
107 posts
1 hour ago, darkstar said:

If you read my posts from the beginning I'm not addressing the value of the books. I am speaking to the content of the books so that other people can reach their own conclusions. Cameo/full appearance speaks to the extent to which a character is first depicted in sequential art within the context of a story. The Jane Foster iteration of Thor is depicted LESS in a LATER book - Thor #1 - than she is in God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a cameo designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in the earlier God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a full appearance designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in God of Thunder #25. 

The fact that Thor #1 is selling for more should surprise no one, as it is a #1 issue, and the cover image has been attached to every article about Marvel's movie announcements that has been published by every major and minor publication. 

The What If book is not a modern, thus I am not discussing it here.

No offense and maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the thread to discuss the value rather than the content? Isn’t it the moderns heating up on eBay thread specifically to talk about which books are the most valuable? I don’t mind hearing your take on the cameo/appearance debate, but perhaps this may be why people didn’t understand your intent in this specific thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,808 posts
22 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Young Avengers 1 is a great book.  Non-Bishop characters should be popular, but they need more action.  Thought Hulkling had a good shot, kind of a waste. 

Really all over the place for sales.  

But glad to see the interest. 

Patrick

Yes the price hasn't gone higher then it was a year ago yet. I regret not buying the Wizard Variants when I had the chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,808 posts
58 minutes ago, jcjames said:
1 hour ago, darkstar said:

If you read my posts from the beginning I'm not addressing the value of the books. I am speaking to the content of the books so that other people can reach their own conclusions. Cameo/full appearance speaks to the extent to which a character is first depicted in sequential art within the context of a story. The Jane Foster iteration of Thor is depicted LESS in a LATER book - Thor #1 - than she is in God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a cameo designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in the earlier God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a full appearance designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in God of Thunder #25. 

The fact that Thor #1 is selling for more should surprise no one, as it is a #1 issue, and the cover image has been attached to every article about Marvel's movie announcements that has been published by every major and minor publication. 

The What If book is not a modern, thus I am not discussing it here.

I was referring more to context of the story in TGOT25.

Jane/Thor was not "in" the story, she was in a story being told in that issue, (like Deacon Frost "appearance" in the currently warming ToD13... again not a modern but a valid comparison).

Is the brief telling of a story that includes a new character the 1st full appearance of that character, even if that character has no interaction with the current story, characters or events (other than being heard about) in that issue?

I agree with darkstar its either GoT25 or Thor 2. 

Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying. I just think that will make the determining factor between especially in this modern market
who is fixated on an image more then the amount of time or story a character appears.

5 years ago this wouldn't have matter it would have been straight forward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,570 posts
39 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

No offense and maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the thread to discuss the value rather than the content? Isn’t it the moderns heating up on eBay thread specifically to talk about which books are the most valuable? I don’t mind hearing your take on the cameo/appearance debate, but perhaps this may be why people didn’t understand your intent in this specific thread.

The books I was discussing are heating up. The information I am providing can be used by others to make financial decisions regarding the books in question. If the value of the book is derived from something other than its content, perhaps that valuation should be questioned. Any insufficiently_thoughtful_person with the internet can pull up recent sales on eBay and see what is selling. It takes a little more effort and thought to suss out why and whether it makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157 posts
40 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with darkstar its either GoT25 or Thor 2. 

Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying. I just think that will make the determining factor between especially in this modern market
who is fixated on an image more then the amount of time or story a character appears.

5 years ago this wouldn't have matter it would have been straight forward.

 

Not the first time (nor will it be the last) that 1st Cameo/1st Full appearances have been debated, justified and disagreed upon.

Some may say Jane Foster as Thor 1st appearance is in TGOT25, Thor 1, Thor 2... or even Thor 8 (remember when folks thought early Lady Thor could be Roz?).

Seems though that the Market is speaking and CGC has spoken and both point to Thor 1, while some online sites call it TGOT25. Don't see many calling it Thor 2 though.

I suppose anything's possible - 1st appearances are wonky unpredictable creatures :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485 posts

Thanks for bringing up Roz. In looking through old boxes for my Thor 1s and GOT 25s, I found four GOT 12s... yeah, I bought into that spec.

I didn’t find as many 25s as I thought I had (two 1st prints and one 2nd), but I did find four Thor 1s, another Inhumans #5, Black Widow #1, What If 114 newsstand, Wraith 1... forgetting you have stuff can end up being fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with darkstar its either GoT25 or Thor 2. 

Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying. I just think that will make the determining factor between especially in this modern market
who is fixated on an image more then the amount of time or story a character appears.

5 years ago this wouldn't have matter it would have been straight forward.

 

As straight forward as Hulk 181 🙄

Edited by Shoomanfoo
Tyoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68 posts
13 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

No offense and maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the thread to discuss the value rather than the content? Isn’t it the moderns heating up on eBay thread specifically to talk about which books are the most valuable? I don’t mind hearing your take on the cameo/appearance debate, but perhaps this may be why people didn’t understand your intent in this specific thread.

I don't think you can separate the two, ESPECIALLY since in the current market, the folks speculating aren't necessarily the most educated on the actual contents of the hot books.  Thor (2014) #1 does have the familiar cover, but I'm seeing more inflated prices for GoT #25 as the market catches it's breath for a second and says "hey, wait a minute."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

I don't think you can separate the two, ESPECIALLY since in the current market, the folks speculating aren't necessarily the most educated on the actual contents of the hot books.  Thor (2014) #1 does have the familiar cover, but I'm seeing more inflated prices for GoT #25 as the market catches it's breath for a second and says "hey, wait a minute."

Where are those more inflated prices? Sorry I don't see them.

Raw #25's for15.00- 25.00 bin all day and raw #1 40.00+.

Here are some sales from just today for ya 😉

Yup that says $12.50 bin..sorry I over estimated the value.

 

 

Screenshot_20190723-131623.png

Edited by Shoomanfoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157 posts
Posted (edited)

ETA: Not modern, so nevermind.

 

 

Edited by jcjames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

ETA: Not modern, so nevermind.

 

 

Ok that it's not a modern for the sake of the conversation. You are correct and it should command more. 

It's a 1977 book that commands a much higher price in higher grade even raw.

It's a nice book too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,808 posts
8 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:
18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with darkstar its either GoT25 or Thor 2. 

Don't get me wrong I understand what you are saying. I just think that will make the determining factor between especially in this modern market
who is fixated on an image more then the amount of time or story a character appears.

5 years ago this wouldn't have matter it would have been straight forward.

 

As straight forward as Hulk 181 🙄

That book is from a different age and a different viewpoint entirely. Back then we didn't count dumb small panels
and splash pages as nothing by cameos. It the vested financial interests in the other books that is pushing that now.

While I understand you wanted to compare both there are a TON of financial interests in trying to
switch the mentality on Hulk 181 which is probably never gonna happen no matter how many times
Its brought up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,969 posts
29 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

never gonna happen

:sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,570 posts
5 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Where are those more inflated prices? Sorry I don't see them.

Raw #25's for15.00- 25.00 bin all day and raw #1 40.00+.

Here are some sales from just today for ya 😉

Yup that says $12.50 bin..sorry I over estimated the value.

 

 

Screenshot_20190723-131623.png

If you are going to be solely fixated on value then at least get it right, that 12.50 is a second printing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,380 posts

I sold a Thor 1 for $41 shipped, took a best offer $5 below asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, darkstar said:

If you are going to be solely fixated on value then at least get it right, that 12.50 is a second printing....

Ok so where are your "inflated prices"

Your pointed out something about the 12.50 books but showed nothing whatsoever to support your original and purposefully erroneous statement in order to mislead those not in the know.

The book underneath is 19.99...so???

Ok sir, please take a seat.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,041 posts
25 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Ok so where are your "inflated prices"

Your pointed out something about the 12.50 books but showed no pic or anything to support your original erroneous statement.

The book underneath is 19.99...so???

Ok sir, please take a seat.

Prices are trending up. You take a seat, and take another break from the boards while you're at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,376 posts
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Ok so where are your "inflated prices"

Your pointed out something about the 12.50 books but showed no pic or anything to support your original erroneous statement.

The book underneath is 19.99...so???

Ok sir, please take a seat.

C57665B1-9847-4898-8DC3-F5334FD82F01.gif.a992aa47f30acd6e5a1a3d719071496c.gif

Edited by awakeintheashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Prices are trending up. You take a seat, and take another break from the boards while you're at it.

Oh your changed your tune from your last ridiculous statement.

I can certainty take a break from you know that your talking sense.

Good boy.

Oh wait... This is someone else.

We've got a cheerleader ladies and gentlemen.

Go! Go! Blow yo hoe! Yaaaaay team!

Edited by Shoomanfoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
110 110