• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Great Article...

The reproduction of silverfish is preceded by a ritual involving three phases, which may last over half an hour.

In the first phase, the male and female stand face to face, their trembling antennae touching, then repeatedly back off and return to this position.

In the second phase the male runs away and the female chases him....

Re: Silverfish

Definition:

1) Paper eating monsters! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

2) The theme of at least one OA Gallery - John Q. Adams' Silverfish Gallery - http://silverfishgallery.blogspot.com/

I have several OA questions:

1. Why are the corners clipped on some pieces - I guess this is more prevalent on bronze age pieces. Does this affect the value of the piece?

2. What do I need to know about the material/media that the OA was done with and on? Does any certain type of media (paper/ink/pen combination) tarnish with age?

3. What terminology should I look out for that isn't obvious - how do I know the OA was a genuine published piece and not some reproduction?

4. Are there any detracting factors that collectors typically look out for if they are unsure about a buying piece. Sort of like how some comic book collectors may shy away from a book with brittle or tan pages, or some other aesthetic factor.

Commission questions:

5. What is the basic procedure for obtaining a commission, and what's an approximate average cost for this (depending on different levels of artist skill/popularity) - do artists just tell you when you ask?

6. Are commissions usually mailed to you when they are complete, or does the artist finish it before the end of a multi-day con?

7. Do artists typically allow you to tell them what to do/design?

8. Is there anything that I should avoid saying or doing that would offend an artist - any weird stories about this?

Thanks for the help!

Here is my cut, but there us to be an FAQ on comicart-l, someone should move that here to cut down basic questions

OA

1. The short answer on the crops is that it has to do with old printing processes. As for valuation, the short answer is no. All pages from the same issue/era would have crops so it evens out. And as everyone likes to point out, original art is one of a kind so little things like that don't matter. However, I suppose you can argue that if you have 2 pages fromt he same issue that are very similar (hero in costume, action pose, etc) and one has worse crops than another, it would make some difference.

2. OA is one of a kind, you don't have much choice if you want that published page. India ink is suppose to be more "permanent" than markers, which can fade with light. But if you are buying a 20 year old page and are worried about fading, take a look, if it hasn't faded in 20 years I think you are ok!

3. I think you just ask if its the original art to the published page or a recreation!

4. Personal preferences, so no general rules. Once again, if you want the original to the published image you love, you don't have much choice.

Commissions

5. Ask if they do commissions, and ask for their price and what you get for that price and the range is all over now, $50 to $500 covers probably 80% - 90% of the artists

6. both, you can even set one up totally outside the con. Do your research before doing a mail away commission

7. I've never tried, I usually just specify a character. I imagine artists don't like an art director telling them what to do, unless you pay them enough

8. If you have basic social skills, you should be fine!

Malvin

I have several OA questions:

1. Why are the corners clipped on some pieces - I guess this is more prevalent on bronze age pieces. Does this affect the value of the piece?

2. What do I need to know about the material/media that the OA was done with and on? Does any certain type of media (paper/ink/pen combination) tarnish with age?

3. What terminology should I look out for that isn't obvious - how do I know the OA was a genuine published piece and not some reproduction?

4. Are there any detracting factors that collectors typically look out for if they are unsure about a buying piece. Sort of like how some comic book collectors may shy away from a book with brittle or tan pages, or some other aesthetic factor.

Commission questions:

5. What is the basic procedure for obtaining a commission, and what's an approximate average cost for this (depending on different levels of artist skill/popularity) - do artists just tell you when you ask?

6. Are commissions usually mailed to you when they are complete, or does the artist finish it before the end of a multi-day con?

7. Do artists typically allow you to tell them what to do/design?

8. Is there anything that I should avoid saying or doing that would offend an artist - any weird stories about this?

Thanks for the help!

The first post's advice is terrible and clich'e.

Always "go for the gold".

Obtain artwork that the artist is famous for, then buy the best example you can.

Simple (example)

Todd Mcfarlane = Spider-Man

Neal Adams = Batman

Bernie Wrightson = Swamp Thing

Frank Miller = Daredevil

You get the idea. The buy the best shot of that character you can afford, If you can't afford a splash, go for a half splash or a great panel page with excellent shots of that character. (is he in every panel? Can you see his face? )

Yes it's expensive, But always buy quality and you can't go wrong. Who the inker is also matters. No one else should be inking Mcfarlane and no one else should be inking Jim Lee except Scott Williams. You get the idea.

When I see a post like this, I'm always curious about the poster's own collection. What about it? Link?

Yeah, this guy's a talker. I looked to see if he'd actually ever posted anything and found nada, just ridiculous comments about how he'd take a McFarlane Spidey cover over a Romita Spidey cover any day, McFarlane, this , McFarlane that, and he only buys one page of art every few years for 5-10K. :screwy:

Noobs- you may disregard said advice.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

4). Be very careful when having art framed. I paid that I thought was a reputable framer to frame my Bolland Animal Man cover, and I found out years later (after the framer was out of business) that they had glued the cover down to foam core board!

That is why I buy all the material have the frame shop cut everything, frame, matte and glass and frame it myself.

4). Be very careful when having art framed. I paid that I thought was a reputable framer to frame my Bolland Animal Man cover, and I found out years later (after the framer was out of business) that they had glued the cover down to foam core board!

That is why I buy all the material have the frame shop cut everything, frame, matte and glass and frame it myself.

+1, I actually have a full framing kit. My wife is a photographer and has a decent discount on framing supplies.

Love that idea! When I get around to framing my Watchmen page, I think that's the way I'll have to go. Thanks for the tip!

The first post's advice is terrible and clich'e.

Always "go for the gold".

Obtain artwork that the artist is famous for, then buy the best example you can.

Simple (example)

Todd Mcfarlane = Spider-Man

Neal Adams = Batman

Bernie Wrightson = Swamp Thing

Frank Miller = Daredevil

You get the idea. The buy the best shot of that character you can afford, If you can't afford a splash, go for a half splash or a great panel page with excellent shots of that character. (is he in every panel? Can you see his face? )

Yes it's expensive, But always buy quality and you can't go wrong. Who the inker is also matters. No one else should be inking Mcfarlane and no one else should be inking Jim Lee except Scott Williams. You get the idea.

When I see a post like this, I'm always curious about the poster's own collection. What about it? Link?

Yeah, this guy's a talker. I looked to see if he'd actually ever posted anything and found nada, just ridiculous comments about how he'd take a McFarlane Spidey cover over a Romita Spidey cover any day, McFarlane, this , McFarlane that, and he only buys one page of art every few years for 5-10K. :screwy:

Buy what you like... just like the advice that has been given here right? You found Nada becuase I don't post my stuff for a reason..I don't need your ooooo's and Ahhhhhh's

Buy what you like... just like the advice that has been given here right? You found Nada becuase I don't post my stuff for a reason..I don't need your ooooo's and Ahhhhhh's

errr.. you seem to be contradicting yourself. It sounds like you don't buy what you like, which means you buy what others like that you don't like yourself? But you don't need ooo's and ahhhh's? That makes no sense.

Malvin

errr.. you seem to be contradicting yourself. It sounds like you don't buy what you like, which means you buy what others like that you don't like yourself? But you don't need ooo's and ahhhh's? That makes no sense.

Malvin

What kind of name is Malvin anyway?

Besides, I do buy what I like, but what I like is what everyone else likes, which is also the $$$ stuff. Ya dig?

Malvin

Besides, I do buy what I like, but what I like is what everyone else likes, which is also the $$$ stuff. Ya dig?

Put up or shut up. I'm pretty sure nobody frequenting this thread believes you actually have the goods to back up your "expertise."

I've had Kevin on ignore for years now simply because he tends to stir trouble with his posts.

The reason people say to buy what you love is so that value takes a second place to the actual appreciation of the art itself.

Buying for investment is never a sure thing. Buying what you love is.

I've had Kevin on ignore for years now simply because he tends to stir trouble with his posts.

The reason people say to buy what you love is so that value takes a second place to the actual appreciation of the art itself.

Buying for investment is never a sure thing. Buying what you love is.

I just figured with all the talk, the guy must have a spectacular art collection. I always like looking at spectacular art. Though, honestly, I could take or leave both Frank Miller and McFarlane, so if that's what he's got (if he even has anything) I probably wouldn't click past the thumbnails.

I like the advice everyone is giving about buying what you like. I wouldn't argue with buying the best possible pieces by marquee artists on their most famous characters, but most collectors aren't millionaires. The only thing I would add, is to learn to recognize opportunities. Recently, a major art dealer posted for sale a page from an incredible hot penciller/inker for an absurdly low price. I emailed about it the second I saw it, but somebody else already snagged it (or he withdrew it realizing it was so underpriced). Whoever snagged it got a hell of a deal based on sales from last week on Heritage and Ebay. Sometimes stuff like that happens. Most of the best pieces in my collection were not targeted by me so much as they were available for the right price at the right time.

My CAF Gallery

I'm sure Kevin has a decent art collection as he had a spectacular Journey Into Mystery collection before got into art. He just has a "way with words" on here.

The only thing I would add, is to learn to recognize opportunities. Recently, a major art dealer posted for sale a page from an incredible hot penciller/inker for an absurdly low price. I emailed about it the second I saw it, but somebody else already snagged it (or he withdrew it realizing it was so underpriced).

This is so true. I've missed out on some absolutely spectacular opportunities to pick up some A tier art pieces (Ditko Spider-man at a fraction of market value) and some personally special pieces (Everett Sub-mariner from Tales To Astonish) simply because I didn't realize what I was looking at was a steal.

By the time I realized it was time to dive in, I'd missed the opportunity.

Malvin

You are still contradicting yourself. You mock people (and advice) to buy what you like, but you do it. But its OK if you do it as long as you buy what everyone else likes.. which can't be true, because everyone can't like the same thing.

Of course if you can't articulate your argument, you can always just make fun of the guys name...

Malvin

Malvin

You are still contradicting yourself. You mock people (and advice) to buy what you like, but you do it. But its OK if you do it as long as you buy what everyone else likes.. which can't be true, because everyone can't like the same thing.

Of course if you can't articulate your argument, you can always just make fun of the guys name...

Malvin

You're not making any sense yourself. You're over analyzing what I'm trying to say.

You guys seem to have divided up the art of collecting art into 2 catagories. 1 being buy what you like and the 2nd buying for investment....What I'm trying to tell you ladies is, why can't you buy what you like as an investment...I'll never buy a piece of art,hang it on the wall, say that art looks terrible but I hope it'll pay for my retirement. Artists like Ditko,John Byrne and Romita simply bored me to tears. I'll always take a Mcfarlane Spider-Man over a Romita and I'll always take a Wrightson over a Ditko. I'm not say they are bad artists, they really have made a name for themselfs (Ditko seems to be a weirdo anyhow,him and Alan Moore should work on something together) They just don't give me a hard on when I look at thier artwork the way, Wrightson does...