• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Survey: Do you tip your postman for Christmas?

62 posts in this topic

Absolutely. I've got the best mail carrier ever. He knows I work from home and sometimes hits the house when I'm out running at lunch. If he's got something I have to sign for (happens quite a bit) and I'm out, he'll hit my house a second time at the end of his route before taking my package back to the P.O. He's done the same when I've had packages for him to pick up but didn't have them ready in time. Awesome dude. Wish I could afford to give him more.

I feel pretty fortunate, and he's only the second postal carrier I've ever tipped. In the past I've been much like many of you and had horrible service from my carriers (if not horrible, then indifferent).

I don't think I've ever had the same letter carrier on a day to day, week to week, so forth basis.

I always leave something in the mailbox for them, whoever they may be.

Yeah it normally only works if you have someone regularly on your route and they do a nice job.

I'd never even heard of this concept before. But then I didn't know I was supposed to tip the lady who cuts my hair, either. My girlfriend gave me a hard time about not knowing that.

But for the postal workers we have here in my town... they would have to stop throwing my packages at my house and folding envelops in half to stuff them into my mail box and deform it first. I shipped something last week and when I handed it to them (this was the Post Master of the office!) she turned, held it at chest height and just straight dropped it into the crate on the floor. She got a nasty look and a "Well that was very nice."

At least they aren't quite as bad as this guy:

http://youtu.be/eG-NfuONvPU

I do get a lot of packages.We have 2 postal carriers. The one that comes during the week has been doing it for 2 years and does a great job. Never had any problems. He got $30. The weekend carrier started during the summer and is doing a good job as well. I gave her $20.

I got an envelope/card in the mail today from my postman, with a Christmas decoration and "Thank you for your kindness" written in it, along with a signature.

Basically it's a hint/reminder that the holidays are typically a time to tip the postman something for the year.

So I am curious: Do you tip your postman, and if so, how much? I am especially interested in hearing from those who buy a lot of comics/etc. and therefore get lots of packages.

I use to until I found out that the average US Postal worker averages $50,000 to $70,000 a year in salary,plus has benefits up the arse. So no. I now tip the gas attendant who pumps my car gas on cold days. ;)

I tend not to be around when the mail is delivered, so I don't even know the postman.   I've had too many parcels damaged and the service is so poor that I don't believe a tip is deserved.  Other than maybe "do better".

My letter carrier ? No, because it's a revolving door, on a route that noone

wants to put a bid in on. Almost 1.6X the next longest route in the neighborhood.

I must have 3 or 4 different carriers a week. And my mail will occasionally

arrrive at the same address only a block north or south. 12345 A street

sometimes arrives at 12345 B street. Union hacks.

My trash man, hell yes, And I've parked a six pack of Coke and Dr Pepper on

the big honkin trash cans we have. Takes stones to run behind that big

stinkin truck all summer, and now we're at 45 degreees and rainy the last couple

of mornings, and the same two guys for the last 3 years pick up every

little scrap, even the small stuff that sometimes falls out. These guys

are good at their jobs, and on more than one occasion have helped me

drag things to the truck at the last second.

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Besides, I already pay their salary in the form of taxes.

Really! I work for the Post Office and I didn't know that your taxes pays my salary doh!

Wait the revenue that the post office takes in pays my salary not taxes. :makepoint:

BTW I'm not a Carrier

Make sure you tip your Exterminator for keeping bugs out of your home,and coming to your aid when a rat is in your attic.Just sayin' 2c (thumbs u

I forgot about our pest control guy...he also got a nice tin of gourmet cookies. (thumbs u

Make sure you tip your Exterminator for keeping bugs out of your home,and coming to your aid when a rat is in your attic.Just sayin' 2c (thumbs u

I forgot about our pest control guy...he also got a nice tin of gourmet cookies. (thumbs u

:applause:

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Really?

There's a big difference between a post man folding a comic mailer in half so it fits in the mail box and walking it to your door to make sure it gets there safely.

There's about a thousand ways the "postal man" can provide better or worse service.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum and have come to realize that when someone treats your packages as if they were their own, it's worth treating them well in return.

But that is his job not to destroy the mail. I am not going to tip him for doing his job.

A waiter can go beyond his job requirements to make your visit more enjoyable. Your experience is based on their service. The post man delivers mail and is supposed to do it without damaging it.

And there are still a thousand ways a postal carrier can give better or worse service within those parameters.

Say your mail box is down at the curb and you get a large box, all the USPS requires is that he leave it near the mail box. So, by doing his job, no more and no less, he can leave it at the curb, even in the pouring rain. When he delivered it it wasn't wet or damaged. It's not his problem that you mail box is too small.

My mail man walks it up to my door and puts it someplace it can't get wet.

Treat people like human beings, they try a little harder for you, it's only fair you should probably try a little harder for them.

I mean no offense, but I do not view the postal man as someone that is deserving of a tip. I am an excellent tipper for service based businesses, but I treat the postal service as a utility in that I expect it to work without issue. I keep my mailbox in working condition and anything that I have any concern with, I have delivered to work where there is no chance that it will be left on the porch where it can be stolen, in the rain where it can be damaged, etc.

I treat everyone humanely, generously, and I reward when performance merits it but the postman doesn't warrant additional reward in my opinion.

Really! I work for the Post Office and I didn't know that your taxes pays my salary doh!

Wait the revenue that the post office takes in pays my salary not taxes. :makepoint:

BTW I'm not a Carrier

My mistake. I just learned that they have not directly received taxpayer dollars since the 1980's. I spoke under assumption and not knowledge.

So I am curious: Do you tip your postman, and if so, how much? I am especially interested in hearing from those who buy a lot of comics/etc. and therefore get lots of packages.

Yes, $20.