• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May!

137 posts in this topic

I think the FF 55 and 62 pages represent kirby ( or the kirby/sinnott combo ) at the height of his powers and sadly the SS Graphic Novel cover the nadir.

i don't know- i think i have to disagree- there is a lot of good stuff in the graphic novel. the opening splash for example.

Well, I don’t know if it‘s just me, because I am very affectioned to the story -- the sense of mystery, of urgency, something like being on the threshold of the unknown, and yet feeling familiar -- but to me the three-part "Beehive" storyline (with the birth of Warlock) is the peak of all the Fantastic Four career.

Sure, Galactus is great, it has deservedly being praised as among the finest runs, but I tend to consider (also for its "literary" value: thanks Stan! ;) ) that cycle the most awesome. And it all starts, with a sense of impending doom, as the FF decide to go somewhere on vacation and Ronan the accuser comes to the board. Again: maybe it’s just me, but in some way it’s all there. :)

P.S. Let’s not forget Wakanda, and the often despised Black Panther.

.....the Beehive storyline is one of the best IMHO.....My first copy was given to me by my Aunt (#66)....and that cover was a magnet, and the story didn't disappoint. It was one of the first FF's I ever saw. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It sounds like you are not commenting on the FF #55 page in Heritage, but rather the SS Graphic Novel cover posted above. Both are Kirby/ Sinnott, but the two pieces were done decades apart.

Yes, apologies for the misunderstanding. I am pretty surprised to hear it’s Sinnott inking on the (rejected?) cover for The SS Graphic Novel. From the style, I guessed it was some piece of the 1980s (1978, not so far), where unfortunately, Jack’s drawing perspective already got extremely skewed due to the eye problems.

@LB Jefferies: I wasn’t saying it was a *spoon*, well maybe a *fork* ;), just that it belongs to the late period, where the distortion became an element which wasn’t possible to hide thanks to the inker’s help. But it could also be seen even as a more valuable item than the great #55 page, since it document’s Jack suffering (and worries about his family) and as such it must be treasured. :)

I wouldn’t ever despise anything done by Jack, even if it was an awful scribble in the face of adversity… :)

@Sardo: I agree, I don’t even have to look back at it, it’s really a great page.

My personal piece is a page from FF #62, it probably features the closest portrait of Blastaar, as he meets the Sandman.

Philippe Queveau, which is registered here but doesn’t post often, has nicely explained me the story of the small amount of original art which was gotten back by Kirby and Sinnott, and I learned my piece was, albeit indirectly, bought from Jack himself, and I was delighted to know. I guess it would be hard to part with it! :)

Also, Philippe owns *the* Silver Surfer page, which is this one:

FF%2072%20surfer.jpg

.....this page would probably break a record or too, also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have bids on a few mid range pieces. There are a lot of really nice pieces for under $1000 as far as I am concerned. Maybe I will be lucky but do not expect to buy anything. But if people want to lay off the Cheung I wouldn't be sad about it. ;-)

It only takes two bidders to drive the price up.

I bid for a Legion cover for the auction to save Joe Shuster's house. One other guy and I bid it way above what a Swan cover would normally go for - sure it was for charity, but I really wanted it. Apparently, he did, too.

Does that make it worth the money we bid? I doubt it. If I wasn't there to "make the market" or if he wasn't, it would have gone for a 1/3 of the selling price.

PS. I shouldn't complain about missing that one (though I do sometimes) I do have some nice Swan examples.

Well, when the 'other guy' turns out to be Dave Mandel it will get expensive.

Yeah, his pockets are a bit deeper than mine. :)

Still, it was a thrill to "almost" get it. Maybe someday, I can pry it from his collection - yeah, right. :)

Of course, the good news was that we raised a lot of money for the charity and it wasn't my money. :)

Yeah, his pockets are a bit deeper than mine. :)

Still, it was a thrill to "almost" get it. Maybe someday, I can pry it from his collection - yeah, right. :)

Of course, the good news was that we raised a lot of money for the charity and it wasn't my money. :)

A few years ago I emailed David about 2 Charest pieces he was selling and basically lowballed him. He was gracious in his reply, something along the lines of "Thanks but I think they are priced well and can wait to sell." He got married a short time later and the resulting press coverage alerted me to his career. Now I have a great story to tell, and I don't lowball any more.

I said early on that I did not think there was a chance that this page would hit 6 figures, and I love this page. Looks like I was wrong. This hobby continues to astound me.

Scott Williams

OK, I give up. The auction is still over an hour away and the FF 55 page is over 150k with the juice. Is this setting up to be one of the crazy outlier DK 3 splash type events? This shouldn't drive up prices on other Kirby/Sinnot large FF art, but unfortunately, it probably will. Depressing.

Scott Williams

OK, I give up. The auction is still over an hour away and the FF 55 page is over 150k with the juice. Is this setting up to be one of the crazy outlier DK 3 splash type events?

Probably. If you know you're willing to throw down $448,125 in the live auction, I guess it's no biggie to bid the page up to $150K beforehand to try and scare off the competition. I know I've been duly scared away. lol

It seems as though no price is too high for trophy pieces these days, whether we're talking about the $120 million The Scream (or the $45 million Lichtenstein or $87 million Rothko that just sold as well), the $850K Batman #1 9.2, the $375K TOS 39 9.6 or this FF 55 page. I have a very bad feeling that this is rapidly morphing into a bubble/mania that's not going to end well. :eek:

I said early on that I did not think there was a chance that this page would hit 6 figures, and I love this page. Looks like I was wrong. This hobby continues to astound me.

Scott Williams

OK, I give up. The auction is still over an hour away and the FF 55 page is over 150k with the juice. Is this setting up to be one of the crazy outlier DK 3 splash type events? This shouldn't drive up prices on other Kirby/Sinnot large FF art, but unfortunately, it probably will. Depressing.

Scott Williams

Holy crow!

I have a very bad feeling that this is rapidly morphing into a bubble/mania that's not going to end well. :eek:
that's the smart money play