• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2017 at 7:31 PM, fastballspecial said:

I look for that book all the time never a copy. 

I've also been looking for the $2.25 version of Fantastic Four #60/489 for some time now.  On Sunday, I received a phone call from a local guy wanting to sell his comics.  I went to his house this afternoon, bought a few books and came home with not one but 2 copies.  :banana:

IMG_20170411_180447443.jpg

I'm always finding cool Conan comics that are close to runs, but to me and even in Ms Marvel the price variants seem confusing. The only one that I know to look for is the Conan with the 30Cents in like an exlpoding circle (hard to explain) 

The others that are 30 when they're supposed to be 35, or the other way 'round, same with 25 and 30. sigh I'd have to do some research in this thread and write a list and constantly keep it in my back pocket or something. Or at least a list of comics that had them. I know Iron Fist 14, Star Wars 1, Ms Marvel, and Conan and now Fantastic Four. :pullhair:

I am not feeling too bad though lol it's just a lot to take in first hearing it here on the boards. 

On 4/14/2017 at 11:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm always finding cool Conan comics that are close to runs, but to me and even in Ms Marvel the price variants seem confusing. The only one that I know to look for is the Conan with the 30Cents in like an exlpoding circle (hard to explain) 

The others that are 30 when they're supposed to be 35, or the other way 'round, same with 25 and 30. sigh I'd have to do some research in this thread and write a list and constantly keep it in my back pocket or something. Or at least a list of comics that had them. I know Iron Fist 14, Star Wars 1, Ms Marvel, and Conan and now Fantastic Four. :pullhair:

I am not feeling too bad though lol it's just a lot to take in first hearing it here on the boards. 

Its actually pretty easy:

For 30 cent variants: all Marvel comics cover dated April - August 1976 with a 30 cent price tag except Inhumans 5 and Ka-Zar 16 are 30 cent variants. Doesn't matter what they look like, if they have those cover dates and have a 30 cent price tag, it is a variant. Here's a list to have, along with images.
For 35 cent variants: all Marvel comics cover dated June-October 1977 with a 35 cent price tag are 35 cent variants. Here's a list to have, along with this awesome collage.

Note that these lists are very old so ignore the prices.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, Timmay said:

This is a really cool book, First Constrictor:

s-l1600.jpg

Well once again I had to go to war for some upgrades (and missing) variants on ebay...and again i lost most of the bids around 80-130 dollars for above average raw copies of harder mid level rarity books. I keep hearing how these books are 10-20 bucks...yet i cant seem to win any for under 60 lol.

21 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Well once again I had to go to war for some upgrades (and missing) variants on ebay...and again i lost most of the bids around 80-130 dollars for above average raw copies of harder mid level rarity books. I keep hearing how these books are 10-20 bucks...yet i cant seem to win any for under 60 lol.

Yep, lower grade books are pretty cheap.

Not so expensive for common variants

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Yep, lower grade books are pretty cheap.

Not so expensive for common variants

well to be fair the guy had 66% feedback, only 2 ratings, bad photo, and the book is a 2.0 with a huge piece of cover missing and you cant find this on a normal search.  Also you found the one listing of the last 27 price variants to sell in the last few months to sell for less than $47.00.  Its pretty clean that all those mitigating factors and the truly poor condition of the book made that no where near the norm on these books.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=.35 cent variant&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

well to be fair the guy had 66% feedback, only 2 ratings, bad photo, and the book is a 2.0 with a huge piece of cover missing and you cant find this on a normal search.  Also you found the one listing of the last 27 price variants to sell in the last few months to sell for less than $47.00.  Its pretty clean that all those mitigating factors and the truly poor condition of the book made that no where near the norm on these books.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=.35 cent variant&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Uhh NO

It is on a search of 35 cent variants.

3 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Uhh NO

It is on a search of 35 cent variants.

i actually debated if i should change that, second i wrote it since it was the one part of what I wrote that couldnt be proven absolutely and infact I was able to find it on a more standard search as i showed. I debated changing that but you replied so quickly i didnt have time. So you are right on that point. And to be fair also i said 47.00 was the next cheapest one but in reality it was 45 I read that to quickly in scanning for lowest price so that is worthy of correction also.

However, its very clear from the rest of the points I listed I am generally correct. in the last few months 27 price variants (that you can find in a normal search) have sold and all between 45.00 and 400.00+ minus one copy incredibly beat up bad eye appeal copy sold by a person with horrific feedback close to 0 with negatives that you pointed out.

6 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Uhh NO again

Variants on the cheap

Double the fun

...and more

I could keep going , but you get the point

Or you can type in a wide range search, find 155 total books (not all variants but mostly) and find only 3 of the 155 sold for under 20.00 US and the ones that did were usually in horrible shape.

Wide range search for price variants.

Or i can pick and choose some mid-to-low grade raw copies selling for 100+

I can cherry pick examples too part 1

Cherry pick part deux

you get the idea

For every copy you can find that fell between cracks by being in really bad shape I can find multiple mid grade copies that did great.  But simply put in 35 cent variant and most copies sell well above. The average selling price on raw mid grade variants in auction appears to be about 65-75 dollars, agreed?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of message board conflict not looking to get you riled. I was just sharing my experience collecting variants. I don't (generally) see copies sell for under 20 bucks and anything around that is usually a rag or someone mis-listing or BIN way to low. When it goes to auction and its not a trainwreck, in my experience, its always war lol. Guys just keep outbidding me even when i bid what I think is stupid crazy. Like a copy of luke cage and a Sgt Fury 2 part lot sold for like 900 bucks in bid auction if i remember correctly and they were pretty rough too. Now yeah the Fury is viewed as VERY rare (im sometimes suspect on the numbers i see thrown out but in terms of scale the estimates are on point i find) but jeez. Im just lamenting how hard this set has been to build is all.

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The average selling price on raw mid grade variants in auction appears to be about 65-75 dollars, agreed?

It is largely title dependent, and of course scarcity. 

ASM, and X-men usually get a premium.  Marvel Two-in-one, and Marvel team-up, not so much

Reprints are usually tougher to find, so they may get a premium too, but I have seen Marvel Tales go for under $20 at auction.

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of message board conflict not looking to get you riled. I was just sharing my experience collecting variants. I don't (generally) see copies sell for under 20 bucks and anything around that is usually a rag or someone mis-listing or BIN way to low. When it goes to auction and its not a trainwreck, in my experience, its always war lol. Guys just keep outbidding me even when i bid what I think is stupid crazy. Like a copy of luke cage and a Sgt Fury 2 part lot sold for like 900 bucks in bid auction if i remember correctly and they were pretty rough too. Now yeah the Fury is viewed as VERY rare (im sometimes suspect on the numbers i see thrown out but in terms of scale the estimates are on point i find) but jeez. Im just lamenting how hard this set has been to build is all.

This I agree with.

But you should keep an eye on auctions, because they can end pretty low, especially when it ends at a bad time like during a game of the NBA finals.