• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead OA price bubble

57 posts in this topic

No "bubble" for original art because as it was mentioned earlier, the pages have been collected far before the t.v. show aired. If anything, I think the show is helping prices of the pages be realized.

As for the different sizes of art, the smaller pages really don't bother me that much. Sure, comparatively they are small, but it's not like the content can be purchased on any other page size. It's those smaller pages that Charlie obviously rushed on that bother the out of me. I understand the argument that he switched to smaller pages because he couldn't keep up, but if that's so, it's bothersome to see the art suffer sometimes because detail (or lack there of) is so much more noticeable on the smaller pages.

No "bubble" for original art because as it was mentioned earlier, the pages have been collected far before the t.v. show aired. If anything, I think the show is helping prices of the pages be realized.

As for the different sizes of art, the smaller pages really don't bother me that much. Sure, comparatively they are small, but it's not like the content can be purchased on any other page size. It's those smaller pages that Charlie obviously rushed on that bother the out of me. I understand the argument that he switched to smaller pages because he couldn't keep up, but if that's so, it's bothersome to see the art suffer sometimes because detail (or lack there of) is so much more noticeable on the smaller pages.

true , that's why i prefer larger pages, i don't know if WD pages are in a bubble , but I really think there will always be collectors for nice Zombies and key pages on WD , that's nearly 25 years i'm reading and collecting , and i really think WD will stay an iconic comic book.

i was a huge Preacher fan in 90's , run is over for years now and look at prices on OA, collectors are always here for nice Preacher pages, BTW i must buy one someday :)

I was wondering the same thing from the OP. hm

I bought this page over a year ago, and I thought when I bought it that this is a pretty classic Walking Dead OA piece.

I paid around $250 for it then.

Not trying to sell it, but I do wonder with the 3rd season having both Governor and Michone now confirmed will WD OA like this one see the same bubble effect like WD #1, 19, & 27 are seeing.

003-2-1.jpg

I think that given the content of the page, it will always be desired because it has two of the most popular characters for the series. The $300 you spent on the page was well worth it, because .. well, there's less than 130 pages from the ENTIRE series with the governor them. Now, that's not to say that every page that has the Governor is worth big money, but you get the idea.

As for the bubble, I think that the people investing serious money in these pages will keep the prices stable. I don't think many people are buying big money pages just for speculation. I can see these pages reaching prices similar to preacher pages, given the series has a broader fan base.

I really don't think there is to much of a bubble right now. This may be a small bubble but once the comic series is over and all the OA is in the secondary market, price won't be any lower than they are now. The Exception may be Tony's work, it should lower once it is all released (supply/demand).

In general, I think the art prices will fall into 3 groups

Moore's work will be way more valuable.

Zombie/Key Moments next

Then everything else will be more reasonable

I tend to agree that Tony Moore's artwork commands a higher value for a few reasons. 1) He's the original artist; 2) There's a finite amount of his artwork compared to the entire population (i.e. Charlie Adlard's pages); and 3) Tony Moore has masterfully controlled the marketplace and when purchasing it direct from the artist, out of the gate, the price is established at a high mark; 4) Most of his artwork is either retained by the artist and/or held by collectors, so there's a shift in the supply and demand chain towards the scarcity of supply against the overwhelming demand.

For the same reason, the "Zombie" pages are worth more regardless of artist, since the stories are not riddled with zombies, it's actually quite a rarity to get 2-3 pages out of a single issue to feaure good zombie interaction, so, when you think about it, only about 10-15% of the artwork created actually features a zombie, and any zombie death or death by zombie page is even that much more appealing and in demand.

The problem with the value of Charlie Adlard's artwork compared to Tony Moore's isn't necessarily based on style or fan favortism more than a few factors such as, 1) There's just a lot of artwork availble, with 20+ pages a month continually being released; and 2) He has an art dealer/rep who is good about making the pages available at a fair price (i.e. not hiking up his rates like some art reps do and have a website with art that never sells) that's priced to sell, but not at giveaway prices either. I don't think the size of the page plays a large part in the value or demand.

Personally, I think Charlie Adlard's artwork is what's now defined The Walking Dead comic book. Much like how, for the Uncanny X-Men, Dave Cockrum may have started the series, but it was his replacement, John Byrne who defined the series and the characters. I think Charlie Adlard's art sets the perfect moods, and given he's drawn the vast majority of the issues and created most of the memorable moments as well as new characters, he's no longer "the new guy" or "replacement" to Tony Moore, but in actuality has taken the comic book to a level onto his own.

I think there is good value in the artwork. As far as investment potential and staying power, I'm not sure. It has lasted (or will be lasiting) over 100 issues, and there's licensed action figures as well as a TV show, so it's no flash in the pan comic book. Since it's not a super hero book nor features sexy pin-up girls, the appeal to a large portion of original art collectors might be lacking. However, for story driven collectors, and look at "Watchmen", "V: For Vendetta", "Ronin", "Preacher" and other series, those tend to, over time command really nice returns. I think as an art collector or a fan of the series, it's not a bad idea to pick up at least one page of original art from the comic book for nostalgia purposes. I don't see the prices going down or ever really crashing. I think certain pages can only go up, and its based on story, character, scene and aesthetics. The best bet is to pick one with your favorie character on it or moment in the story which you enjoyed reading.

I guess there is alittle speculator in all of us. Every page of art that I have ever bought has been because I either liked the artist,liked the comic/character, or thought the page was sweet. The majority of my collection are the $50-200 a page variety. Over the last couple of years I have ventured into the $1000-2000 range. I obviously have way more emotional investment in those but I cant help haveing this little voice in the back wondering if its a good investment . Shouldnt really matter if you are truely collecting for a personal collection but I cant help but think it alittle. So now I'm buying Walking Dead pages ... The price for the pages is alot concidering the art and size of the page and I guess I have even bought acouple with the thought of flipping them someday for some other art that I love. Thats where the speculation bubble comes into play.

I've been taking a slight interest in original art as of late. One thing that has been surprising me is that there are some really decent pieces that are shockingly affordable.

You can get some really cool stuff for less than a grand, and in some cases even less than $500.

I've been taking a slight interest in original art as of late. One thing that has been surprising me is that there are some really decent pieces that are shockingly affordable.

You can get some really cool stuff for less than a grand, and in some cases even less than $500.

That's what I think. If you are going to buy the comic, it will set you back 1500. However, you can get the actual art for a lot less- in most cases.

That's the exact reason I started buying OA. I didn't understand buying high grade copies of the comics when theres thousands of them. Theres only a certain number of pages and only one of each page. Look at preacher comics compared to their respective pages of art. Yeah, I know the walking dead had a smaller print run, but still, you can find many copies of every issue everywhere.

That's the exact reason I started buying OA. I didn't understand buying high grade copies of the comics when theres thousands of them. Theres only a certain number of pages and only one of each page. Look at preacher comics compared to their respective pages of art. Yeah, I know the walking dead had a smaller print run, but still, you can find many copies of every issue everywhere.

I bought my FIRST PREACHER PAGE for $130. At the time the issue it was printed in was a $40 RAW book (Don't even think CGC was around then :preach: ). For me it was a no brainer(which is how I normally operate) and I haven't looked back since

I bought my FIRST PREACHER PAGE for $130. At the time the issue it was printed in was a $40 RAW book (Don't even think CGC was around then :preach: ). For me it was a no brainer(which is how I normally operate) and I haven't looked back since

WOW that's a STUNNING page (worship)

I just bought another WD page. If everything goes right I will be getting two more here shortly. I am a fan of the book and the fact that I keep finding nice pages that are affordable has me buying up as many as I can.

WalkingDeadissue84pg6.jpg

That's a great page! Your Preacher collection is crazy. That's what I'm going for with WD pages.

Speaking of those, I'm rather sad to see that issue 33 page you had on your website "on hold", I was really hoping to pick it up soon.

Thanks. And good luck in your WALKING DEAD collecting goals (thumbs u

And I can tell you from experience(and now you have the same experience) that sometimes you have to bite the bullet and strike while the iron is hot (Yes, OA collecting often calls for two metaphors in a single sentence). Nothing puts that sinking feeling in your gut more than eyeing a page you like, saying I'll get it "one day" and the next time you check it is "on hold" or gone entirely :boo:

Live and learn, and buy what you like in your price range 2c

I just bought another WD page. If everything goes right I will be getting two more here shortly. I am a fan of the book and the fact that I keep finding nice pages that are affordable has me buying up as many as I can.

WalkingDeadissue84pg6.jpg

Sweet Page!

Well I got my eye out on another page :wishluck: